1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Eeeeeeep!! - Oh, that wasn't so bad...

Discussion in 'General' started by mars-bar-man, 31 Aug 2010.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I have my test in 3 weeks. I'm not looking forwards to it.

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I drive a '98 Corsa and I'm 6'6" ;)

It took a long time to get used to but I've now developed a technique which allows for relatively speedy entries and exits.

Compared to some other small cars I've driven I don't actually find it too bad. I could barely even fit in a Yaris at all. I guess it's just what you're used to really, I've driven the newest model Focus and Astras and I don't really find them a great deal roomier TBH.

3. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

All these people in here who passed first time...

I took five attempts :hip:

My tips:

Don't clip a wing mirror
    Don't tell your examiner to 'Get the f*** out of my car'
    Don't change lanes on a roundabout near a double decker bus and cause your examiner to grab the wheel

I'm better at it now than I was :hehe:

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I hope all goes well today. Good luck!

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I had my test years ago. In a Citi Golf (a.k.a. Golf1 built el-cheapo in South Africa).
    I had to redo the test. First time, I was in a VERY near-crash situation when some c*** in a 5 series Beemer ran a red light. I reacted wrong, according to the tester. I saw that the car was coming at me, and that I had to move or stand, either way, he'd prolly hit me. I decided that I'd rather get hit on the arse end than on the driver's side door. So I moved. Net result was that the tester yanked up the handbrake, failed me, as the Beemer rushed millimetres past my tail.

Second time was better. Only 1 minor.

Mind - my test was Namibian rules... not as heavy as your rules.
    Just stay calm, take a deep breath, and remember - you know all of this... Good Luck.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

3 weeks ago I didn't think I was ready, did 2 mock tests to find out where any areas needed improvement. We found them, sorted them, and Bob's your Uncle :)

If you don't feel ready in a week I would postpone. There's no point going for it and getting disappointed.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I remember my test, sweated loads but passed first time.

Just wait when you get into car ownership, that's fun. Pay for a car, insurance, tax, petrol, services, any repairs that may be needed, MOT etc. It gets expensive.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

My one bit of advice would be move your head more than normal when looking at your mirrors. I glance at mine with out really moving my head that much but my instructor was adamant that the examiners can pick that up as your not using them so make it obvious you are. You feel like a tit but its good advice.

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Oh, the best bit of advice if you pass. You're not an experienced driver, you're a mere beginner and your learning starts now. You're not an F1 driver and don't try and take corners to their limit. It's how most of the deaths occur from young drivers. (By the way I'm 19, passed 2 years yesterday and I'm still learning loads).

Sorry for serious post, but driving is srs business.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

ORLY?

Nah, I know full well what you mean. My uncle runs the Somerset Road Partnership thing, works with colleges to teach kids about the dangers of driving. I know full well how much I have to learn.

I'm not looking to get a car until I've finished Uni though, won't be able to afford it. I want to get my test all done and out the way before hand.

11. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

Doing Pass Plus lowers your insurance - rememeber you can only do it within the first year of passing.

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Pass Plus may lower your insurance. Not many insurance companies take notice of it though.

13. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Funny story i know a guy who passed despite taking someone's door off. Wasn't his fault of course some lady in a 4x4 opened her door on a narrow street 5 yards in front of him and he just couldn't stop in time.

Another story i heard from an ex-girlfriend of mine was a friend of hears in Poland failing before the examiner even got in the car. Thought he was taking too long so tooted his horn at him.

As for me first time pass 4 minors. Can't remember what they were all for. Rolling back slightly starting on a hill and taking a curve slightly too fast were two I think.

Anybody passed with no errors first time at all? Only know one guy who has done that.

Anyway good luck with your test i here they've made it tougher since i passed two years ago and are away to make it tougher again in October.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

good luck today!

When i learn't to drive both cars were 1.8L, family volvo and instructors car. Both very powerful and good to give it a boot full.

Two years later i drove my girlfriends clio 1.2 on the motorway to Southampton for her, she was bricking the journey having never driven on a motorway so i stepped in last minute and drove her car as it had just been filled up with petrol.

MAN was that a learning curve!, My volvo pop nose out to overtake, and step on it a little 'blink' and your past. Clio pop nose out step on it, blink panic drop to 3rd and give it the beans until the valves dance on the bonnet as you watch that rather large BMW 5 series get closer in the mirror!

15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Hope it's gone/going well man!

Anything below a 1.6 without a turbo ruins your chances of a quick overtake. My 1.4 Golf; it gets up to speed and sticks there happily, quick acceleration is big no no though :(

16. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

**** yeah mother ****er!!!

2 minors!!

That went so fast!! Christ! One point my foot was shaking so bad!

Ljs likes this.
  17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

****ING PLAYED MY SON!

now take the week off and start driving on our own later at night when theres little on the road, youve been taught how the muppets want you to drive but now you need to learn how to drive properly, you'll soon forget that 10-2 ****, oh and if you dont have a motor already (sorry i havent really been following the thread) then get a cheap thing that you dont mind dinging.

18. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Congrats now the real learning begins:thumb:

19. bagman

bagman Minimodder

yay i passed as well 3 minors!!!

well done mate

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm now off to Uni for 3 years...maybe 4, or more. Looking to get a car at the start of the first though. Drive properly then :)

Congrats man! Nervous much?