1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Sep 2010.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Too little and WAY too late...

2. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I think the admins need to come in here and shut up a few people.

fingerbob69, you are arguing about a low end card that's been hammered by the GTX460 768mb & 1GB which also went on to hammer everyother ATi card upto and including the 5850. In every level including price, performance, build quality, cooling. How can you ATi fanbois still cling on to the "best bang per buck!" statement when that one card dumps on you in one go.

At £100 the 250 is too pricey but at £80-£90 it makes more sense.

As to the unrelated 6XXX series already sprouted here by the ATi fanbois, it's just a knee jerk reaction by AMD to send out a "new product" which is a rehash of the 5XXX which was a rehash of the 4XXX but with DX11.

Who cares?

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Source please.

6. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

hate

The GTX460 is a great card, and if you are looking for a card in that price range, there is no AMD alternative. I have recommended it without hesitation. But it isn't a compelling choice for everyone, and if I was in the market I'd go for the 5850.

Having said this, the HD68**-series is going to pee all over it, if not because of it's own price/performance, then because all those HD58**-series are going to be sold off at lower prices once it launches.

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Sep 2010
  7. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I think the admins need to come in here and shut up a few people....

"fingerbob69, blah blah .... How can you ATi fanbois still cling on to the "best bang per buck!" statement when that one card dumps on you in one go. ...blah blah"

You keep coming out with aggressive and non justiciable statements like that , it will be you answering to the mods!

8. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Can't compete with the similarly priced 5770, which both become irrelevant when you realise the GTX 460 768MB is only £10-20 more. Not a very exciting release from Nvidia.

According to other reviews it gets slightly mroe interesting in SLI, but nothing to rave about really.

Seems like a very stupid choice when you consider the very close release of the 6800 series & they're releasing the lower range model first. Oh, and ATI are bringing down the 5770's price to match the GTS 450.

9. crazyceo

No aggression needed. It's just laughable at the ATi brigade coming out of the woodwork to defend the defunct product.

State the case and then move on, no need to stick around like a ban smell.

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

get a room you two :)

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The irony here is that fingerbob69 is being flamed for being an ATI fanbois yet he was calling the 450 a fail.

:read:

12. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Nice to see the adults coming out to discuss the situation :).

Anyway, The Palit one has already dropped a few quid on Scan. £96.88 now

13. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

looking at US prices, the 450 undercuts the 5770 by ~ $30, so it may gain a hold with penny pinching fanboys on this side of the pond.

Taking a peek at wikipedia, the die size is 228mm sq vs the 170mm sq of HD 57x0, so I'd suggest that ATI has a huge advantage if they can keep the PCB prices down.

All that being said, with xxxxx islands (which one is it, north or south???) so close to launch, the entire excersise of comparing this seems pointless till we see cards and prices from the red team.

14. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

unhelpful comments

Just try to calm down. I don't know why you have to fly off the handle and come at every GPU discussion with maximum aggression. You say the GTX460 is the best thing since sliced-bread - I think it's good, but not great. Hopefully nVidia will put out a can of whip-a** to change our minds.
    The GTS450 is a can of whipped-cream.
    Don't expect us to get into orgasms of joy over a card that still can't beat my two year old HD4870-512.

Maybe you are right, and it is my fault. I'm far more logical in my thinking, as I tend to use reason on a statement or argument. Which is why I took objection to the comments in the article about the Steam figures, as it seemed that the reasoning behind it was faulty although I agreed with the rest of the article and it's conclusion. Maybe that is why I have trouble with your arguments.

I don't normally care to do this, but seeing as you've been casting aspersions at my integrity, I should mention that I've owned/still own a TNT2, GF3 Ti500, GF4 Ti4800SE, GF6 6600GT Extreme in SLI (this was a great card, not the GTX460), and GF7 7950GT in SLI. The only ATI cards I've owned is a X800GTO and my current HD4870. I don't fit into your ATI conspiracy theory of negative nVidia opinions.

@Mrbens: What for? A fish slapping dance? I'll grab a halibut. :lol:

15. crazyceo

It's OK babe, I confused you for one of the many AMD brigade who frequent the Nvidia or Intel topics. Shame really, they should point the finger at themselves every once and awhile.

Back to the topic at hand. The 450 offers are coming in thick and fast now, making them all the more attractive to those on a low budget.

16. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Come on guys stop the flames. Sub £150 price then a gtx460 768mb is a excellent buy and was a great buy last week when some etailers had them at £112.
    Around the £200 mark its a harder choice if your into stalker then the 5850 is the one you want, but then the gtx460 1gb is a good all round performer and can usually be had well under a £200.
    Above that the 5870 has faired pretty well, but if you use cuda and want phyx then a gtx480 maybe your cup of tea.
    The questions that need to be asked are will ati finally trade some of their good margins on the 5 series ( prices are around that of launch 11 months ago!) for some market share ie lowering their prices.
    Also how long is southern/northern islands off release, what price its gonna be and whats it perform like?
    All in all consumer choice is pretty good at the moment. My last couple of cards ive personally chose ati because of price/performance does that mean i wouldnt choose nvidia for my next card? Certainly not and fanboism only breeds ignorance and stupidity.

17. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

as the happy owner of a gtx 470 i dont do owt but play games, so what was this survey from steam then .out

18. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Still no fully-functioning GF10x chips out in the wild, eh? Sad.

19. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

All in all this is not that bad a card, it is a long time since we have seen two cards that are so close together in performance/price which is nice to see, but the 460 does make it a little redundant.

But again Nvidia, too little too late, if the 460 had come out 10 months ago it would have deserved some credit but not now. and the same I could say about the 450.

But the temps and power usages are great, so we may hope that this is a sign that Nvidia might finally have gotten round the disaster 470/480 thermals.

20. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

What? I was saying that GT200 was a worse failure for NVidia than Fermi, because it didn't scale down at all, requiring them to recycle old cores yet again. You're just putting words into my mouth.

GF100 was terribly late and was quite a bit of a downer. GF104/106 however offers significant competition to the mainstream parts from AMD. Whether or not HD6xxx parts will offer anything over them is still unknown at this point. AMD is still using the old architecture, with HD5xxx being HD4xxx with double the units pasted onto it. If HD6xxx is going to be another rehash of the same core, it'll be really kind of hard to expect too much from it.

Of course, I do hope that both AMD and NVidia will have great new cards out later this year and we'll see some more competition :)

Tags: Add Tags