1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Froyo a go go for Desire!

Discussion in 'General' started by Matticus, 2 Aug 2010.

1. alastor

alastor Minimodder

As far as I know the Live wallpapers are part of Android 2.1 proper so they should be available in any 2.1+ ROM you can find, contact linking is part of the HTC Sense contact program so will be included on any official HTC ROM.

When I debranded my Orange Desire, the only things missing from the branded ROM were the crap game demos and Orange Maps which is exactly what I was hoping for :D.

2. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

Ok, after the better half of the way wrestling with this thing I'm finally downloading Froyo.

Making the gold card worked smoothly. Things started going wrong upon trying to install the RUU. First I ran into errors 171, whereupon fixing gave me error 131. After overcoming that hurdle the final brick wall was error 140.

I was about to give up and went away for some food. Upon further consideration of the error message I did a bit more googling. I realised my error. My phone is one of the newer SLCD versions with bootloader version 0.83. Many of the guides linked to older roms which only worked with 0.80 and lower.

This thread was particularly helpful

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=749551

I've decided to go for it and wait for when they've found a way to root Froyo with the newer SLCD screens.

I've got a stiff neck and sore eyes but the result has been worth it :rock:

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Ah yes the SLCD versions require a different radio because of the different hardware, I hadn't thought of that...time to put another edit in my post I think. Glad you've got it sorted though :thumb:

How happy are you with the SLCD screen by the way?

4. Vigil

Vigil Not geek enough

I need to grab my friend's older Desire to properly compare but it's my first smart phone so I'm very impressed. I don't think it's as good as that on the iphone 4 but I'll take this phone any day.

In short, very happy :thumb:

5. Voluntary_Pariah

Voluntary_Pariah a Real Man™

I have been banging my head against a wall for about 4 hours trying to get this to work. I don;t suppose that anyone would mind posting me their Goldcard and I'll return it once it has done it's job.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It's good. Compared to most other phones I saw it's even great.

However, next to my Zune HD, it's only average. The colors are good but not as vibrant as the Zune and the black is decent but not BLACK per se. I was actually glad to see The Zune still has the best screen ever (so far) :rock:

Oh and btw, under direct sunlight, the LCD of my Desire is not any easier to use than my Zune. Take that, OLED bashers :D

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

O2 have finally aired the update, if you have an O2 branded Desire check for updates and it should appear :thumb:

8. pcyzad

pcyzad What's a Dremel?

Deleted

Last edited: 4 Oct 2015
  9. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

I've been running 2.2 on my Hero for a couple of months now, courtesy of VillainRom.

It's breathed a new lease of life into an otherwise slow phone. My brother has a stock Desire, and the speed of mine just blows his out the water.
    Although, I haven't rooted/CustomRom'd it yet.

I was a devout WM man, last 7 phones were Windows ones. Since switching to Android, I'll not go back.

10. alastor

alastor Minimodder

FroYo is finally available for T-Mobile UK Desires, if you haven't been offered it already then check for updates and you should get it :thumb:

11. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

Bloody hell that took forever for TMobile didn't it?

Meh, root your desire, use your own rom, otherwise you just aren't using android to the best it can be,

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Erm... I thought I was already running FroYo? I'm on T-Mo and as soon as I got the phone, I updated to what I thought was version 2.2.

Soon as I turned off Airplane mode earlier, I got a popup advising of a new software update... The Software Version menu shows that I'm running version 2.2, so I'm rather wary of installing this.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

What is the difference exactly ? Am I missing on that much by still being on 2.1 ?

14. Darv

Darv Bling!!

The main advantage is the JIT compiler. Should make your phone quite a bit faster.

There's some improvements to the market place as well IIRC. There's a load of other small things that I can't remember off hand.

15. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Did you get yours direct from T-Mobile or from a retailer like Carphone Warehouse? The update T-Mobile released is their first 2.2 update - but it's since been pulled as apparently it had a load of German software in it :lol:. This update brings the software number up to 2.12.110.2 on T-Mobile branded Desires.
    As well as the JIT compiler FroYo also includes a new browser that supports Flash, allows supported application to be installed to the SD card and the ability to use the phone as a wi-fi hotspot. The 2.2 update for the Desire also added 720p video recording amongst other bits and pieces that I can't remember right now :thumb:

edit - FroYo also has better support for voice search and voice actions which are useful. HTC also added an application sharing app and a flashlight app :rock:

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010
  16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

really. Nice :D

thanks

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope, from Carphone Warehouse - even though it was an upgrade for me (been with 'em around 6 years), T-Mobile were out of stock. AFAIK, this is totally unbranded - the handset itself is not branded, nor are there any branded apps. It's software number 2.09.405.8/

All of which I already have, so now I really don't want to install the update it keeps prompting me about!

18. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Ah well if you got it from CPW then you will have a bog standard unbranded Desire. The OTA update you have now will take you up to 2.10.405.2 which is what my debranded Desire is. This actually came out a couple of weeks ago but was pulled due to server problems - I updated earlier this week. The changelog that people have found so far for this update is below:

- General Android update (bugfixes etc)
    - New version of Google Maps 4.4.0 (if you didn't already have it)
    - New microphone button in the keyboard (only in english keyboard).
    - No vibrate on shutdown
    - Save attachments from GMail app (Only Word and Excel. No support for zip or pdf)
    - New version of Quickoffice 3.2.60
    - Peep 2.0 fixed authentication with twitter (FreudsCAT)
    - Better video quality while capturing video (hamdir, aindow)
    - New/improved notifications of unsent messages, tweets, Facebook alerts, etc.

19. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Hey, just thought I'd join the general Android thread here.

I rooted and overclocked my Milestone today! (Late to the party I know, but the overclock has doubled the MFlops while I wait for Froyo & JIT.)
    Can't install 2.2 as Motorola locked the bootloader, so can't flash unsigned ROMs, but they have at least announced 2.2 for Q4 this year.

Is the Froyo version of QuickOffice any better Alastor?

20. alastor

alastor Minimodder

To be honest I have no idea, I've never used it :lol: