1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Overclocking i7 920 to 4Ghz Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 4 Oct 2010.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i will repeat you dont need to alter any settings or turn off HT and turbo boost etc etc

if your temps are that high it is installed incorrectly or if you are 100% its done right the H50 could be faulty.

2. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Well the temps are now around low 50's now so I think the time of day is affecting the temperature too.

I will try lying out said method on the mounting bit maybe later thanks btw.

3. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Well I restored the settings to factory clock and now the temps are reaching very low 40's. Might see if I can get a new cooler and see if that makes a difference.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

how warm is your room for stock idle temps to be 40ish ?

5. originalmate

originalmate What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this will be of any use but....

I found that my new i7930 was idling at the low 40's and was rocketing up to 90s under full load in a pretty cool room. I decided to reapply thermal paste and try again. When i checked the second time it was even worse, idling just below 50 and i won't even say about the load test :D. Tried again and third time round.....Bingo!

The problem for me was trying to spread the thermal paste myself (unsucessfully), instead on the third go i just put a small line from one end of the cpu to the other and let the heatsink spread it. Now idles 35 and 65 under full load.