1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Green Lantern - *Fan Shroud Concept - March 12, 2011*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by masterchief9615, 15 Oct 2010.

1. masterchief9615

masterchief9615 PC builder / Modder

Well, I was sick of looking at these ugly heat sinks and nobody seemed dumb enough to try and change it..... so.... :dremel:

Introducing, my new heat sinks for my ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post temp's once I get all of the other parts and this thing is ALIVE. :D

Also debating on wither to paint the DVD-RW Green or wrap in Carbon Fiber. Thoughts?​

2. Paradox42

Paradox42 What's a Dremel?

Perfecto!

3. MrWizard

MrWizard What's a Dremel?

looks awesome! I'd go for carbon fiber wrap on the DVD-RW, since that much green might be distracting from the mobo.

4. masterchief9615

Agree. I think more Carbon Fiber would create a more pleasing master piece :)

5. Paradox42

Too bad the mem slots can be changed...

6. masterchief9615

I was thinking about that about 2 weeks ago. I was originally going to spray paint them being very careful to mask off just the slots themselves. Then I thought it might be easier to use a paint brush and paint from a hobby store. Then I thought about just buying green slot covers.

I'm to the point now, where I think they will actually look good once I get some more Carbon Fiber wrap on the components.

7. splashdream

splashdream What's a Dremel?

Fixing the mem slots is easy...load that puppy up! fill them slots with gloriousness ;) Black and green muskin goodness :).

Oh, and you missed the MB power connector and SATA connectors in your painting spree! Love the contrast and changing of the tone of the green on the sabertooth really changes the look of the beast.

8. masterchief9615

Was working on getting a sponsorship with Mushkin so I can afford to buy the Triple-Channel Razorback kit. Hopefully my buddy Matt will get back to me when he's not so busy.

This will get attention in due time. Not sure the direction I want to go yet.

On a side note, I would LOVE to watercool this thing with EK parts, but I just don't have the money to do it :sigh: I have the idea in my head, and I drew it out in my first post, but it will just have to wait.

And if anyone has any watercooling parts for a i7 processor, a reservoir, pump.... blah blah blah for sale, Please let me know!

Guest-56605 likes this.
  9. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Lovely job on the heatsinks :clap:

10. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

badass heatsinks :D

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

thats really eye catching, I like it

12. masterchief9615

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad at least a few guys are following my first build her at Bit-tech. You would think I would have made a few builds for as long as I have been a member here :lol:

Next purchase is going to be the Power Supply. Trying to work with Cooler Master to acquire a 850w. This thing will look sweet once I'm done with it. :dremel:

13. masterchief9615

Here is an idea I thought of today. Want to be able to list sponsors on my build, and this is what I was thinking at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

14. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

would you painting, engraving these logos or maybe something third?

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Nice in theory but the only way I think you could pull that off without cooking the internal components is to use a honeycomb mesh frame so your not losing all the airflow...

16. masterchief9615

Project name would be cut out and would light up with green plexi behind it.

Sponsors would probably be custom vinyl stickers

The sides towards the window would be plain plexi but the insides would have black mesh cut in to allow proper air flow. Should look really nice once completed.

17. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

:idea: How about smoked plexi with the sponsors names etched and backlit with green cathodes?

18. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

What he said...

19. masterchief9615

Hmm.. I'll have to think about that as an option. Good thing I'm not that far yet :) That might turn out pretty cool. But I have never etched anything before:worried:

20. Paradox42

Agreed. Etch Smoked plexi!