1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Need a PSU capable of running GTX 460

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheZaak, 8 Nov 2010.

1. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I've got mine running off of a TX750 (Corsair) and I've got that amount of Watts for redundancy, go for a higher unit, you'll thank yourself.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Eh.. That avatar sure suits you?

He's trying to buy a good PSU on a budget and you tell him to get higher wattage? WTH?

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Irrespective of what wattage you decide upon, make sure you get a good quality PSU.

/thread

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

How's it trolling? It's genuine advice.

£80-£90 on a decent power supply for redundancy is the right amount to spend IMO.

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah I guess it's a fair opinion.

IMO there's just no point trying to stretch the budget to cover something that has 400+ watts of extra reserve just for "redundancy" and costs twice the specified maximum price.

6. Abbizle

Abbizle What's a Dremel?

Theres a new Silverstone 450W PSU they've just released, it's 80% efficient, bronze, so won't cost an arm and a leg. is mini-ITX, mATX and Full ATX compatible and has two 6 pin connectors for the high end graphics cards.

Under load it can be pushed to 500W peak for small amounts of time. But more than enough for your set up. Plus it's only £60 new.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/450w-silverstone-tech-strider-psu-sst-st45sf-80plus-bronze-eps-12v-24-pin-80mm-fan

And heres a review on it.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/vr-zone-exclusive-silverstone-sst-st45sf-450w-sfx-psu-reviewed/8805.html

I'm looking to run a GTX460 on this for my new HTPC SFF build.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

A more scientific review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=196.

8. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Yes i do i purchased it for ebuyer earlier this year
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120675

thanks for all your posts i guess i'll save up :) But i still don't get how to choose a better power supply unit from another?

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You can always ask here...

Some examples:

Modular
    Antec TruePower New
    Antec TruePower Quattro
    Antec SignatureCooler Master Silent Pro M
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold
    Corsair HX
    Corsair Professional Gold
    Enermax
    Seasonic

Non-modular
    Corsair TX
    Enermax
    Seasonic

There are other models & brands that are good but these are ones we usually consider very good quality.

Best bet is to determine your budget then ask back in this thread. Remember that a good quality power supply will last you through mutiple PC builds.

10. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Thanks for all your help but it'd be nice if i could be able to choose one for myself and help others choose because at the moment i have little knowledge aside from wattage as to what makes a power supply unit.

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Okay...

Just because a PSU says "650w" on the side, doesn't mean it can deliver the full 650w at full load. Heat, load, power fluctuations etc all determine whether a PSU can supply a good amount of clean power to your delicate computer components without failing (and taking out the rest of your PC with it).

As an example, browse this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3985/three-550w-psus-for-different-prices. Don't worry too much about the technical details but study the rigorous testing that goes into seeing if a PSU is a quality PSU. Most PSU "brands" don't make their own PSU's, they get someone else to do it. Because of this, you can get varying quality even within the same brand name.

Another example of a site that really goes into detail is jonnyguru.com. I have seen a comment in their forums from someone who said "you guys only have a computer so that you have an on/off switch for your PSU's". That about sums up the level of detail they go into. We're talking electrical engineer levels here.

You will see from browsing sites such as anandtech.com & jonnyguru.com that they not only measure the PSU output, they also measure the quality of components that make up the PSU. They then put them through a load of exteremely rigourous tests and measure these components under load. There is no point having an "up to 80% efficient" PSU that cannot deliver even half its' rated capacity when under 100% load.

There are no tricks to it, it is a science, not an art. Lurk around this forum and others and you will begin to learn of the sites that can be trusted to really review PSU's.

Now and again there are some really good quality PSU's for fantastic prices (e.g. the recently discontinued Corsair 400CX - not to be confused with the new and sub-standard Builder Series) but the bottom line is that quality costs and you get what you pay for.

Edit: a good quote from the Anandtech article...

Is it worth the added cost? That's up to you, but we'd recommend spending as much on your PSU as you can afford; there's no reason to pair quality components (i.e. your motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, and SSD) with substandard power supplies.

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  12. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Thank you for your post, i have read it but it still makes little sense, but i can tell that budget PSUs are a no no. Although half of the article didn't make sense but the figures added up thank you.

13. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

You can run pretty much any system on a sub 500w PSU - 650w really is overkill.

I've got a Phenom x6 and 5870 both overclocked running on a 500w.

I would suggest you go for a solid 450w unit Zac

14. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

I can go for a Corsair CX500w as my budget allows i'm guessing by everyones posts that this would be able to run my system?

15. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just a few quick points about the CX500 (the new Builder Series):

- they are not 80 Plus certified, despite midleading advertising stating they are "up to 85% efficient".

- they only have a two year warranty, less than other Corsair PSU's.

- the reason we haven't seen any reviews of the CX range is that Corsair have deliberately refused to send them out for reviews because (and I quote from a Corsair rep) "...the type of person who reads PSU reviews has nothing to do with CX series".

Source: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67918&postcount=17

17. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

So what you're saying is that it wouldn't be able to run my GTX 460?

18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I honestly don't know. Just because it says "500w" on the side doesn't mean it can produce the power required for your rig cleanly and reliably. If it can't produce what is required then it will be running overloaded which will strain the PSU internals and make it run hot and noisy. If this causes it to fail then it could take out other components in your rig with it.

My point is that I do not think it is a good quality PSU and that you are better off spending a few extra pounds on a better one.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just thought I would post that the Antec TruePower New 650w PSU is £57.56 on Scan's Today Only webpage today. This price will last until approx. 1pm tomorrow.

This is a bargain for a very high quality PSU.

20. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

450w PSU and you're sorted, doubt you'll need more than that tbh... pretty sure I've already said that.