1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Strange refresh squares?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3Dbuild, 9 Dec 2010.

1. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

I am using a HD 6870 and a HP LP2475w monitor, but I have recently noticed something strange and was worried that something was wrong or going to fail? Therefore please can you see what you think:

Using windows 7 64 bit I have noticed that a thin row of black and white squares appear when I refresh the screen with a window open. This also happens when I minimise / maximise the window. I doesn't happen all the time, it is very quick and appears / disappears almost instantly. I have tried to get a screen grab, but I am not quick enough!! If I manage to get one I will post it....

Thank you

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

What about in games ? Can you see artefacts ?

I have seen situations in which, surprisingly, drivers were at fault for causing artefacts. However, most of the time, it's a problem of heat.

Try gaming and looking for those artifacts. Also keep a monitoring tool opened (like HWMonitor) to see how hot the video card gets.

That's step 1. Get back to us with more info for further steps ;)

3. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

I havent tested any games as the build was only really intended for 3D work. I havent really done that much with my PC since building it two weeks ago because of being busy. The only thing i have been doing so far is installing software, updating and general stuff.

I have also tried to get a screen shot, but its almost imposible as its to quick to catch!

I have yet to update my graphics drivers - i know this sounds stupid, but i am not entirely sure how to check and update the drivers for the ATI card. I am so out of touch with pc things, but i am slowly getting there...

I have just installed HWMonitor, but am not allowed to display a screen grab. It shows the graphics card as being 38c, i dont know if this is ok? The CPU cores vary from 16-24c, but was bit worried that i wasnt showing 6 cores - only core numbers 0, 1, 2, 8, 9, 10? I am not entirely sure how to read this software, so is this correct (there are 6 there but i expected them to be numbered 1-6)?

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It's possible that even if you were actually quick enough to take a screenshot, it wouldn't be visible on it.

To upgrade your drivers just take the simple route and download them from there

5. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Thank you for the link, i see how its done now! I have also found out my drivers are 10-10, with the latest being a hotfix for 10-10e. 10-11 is not supported and 10-12 is on its way apparently - so i will hang on for these.

Cheers!

6. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

You could try a screen recorder to show us what you mean. The usual: Update Drivers/install drivers should normally fix these things. If there is no problem in 3D Games it's unlikely to be a hardware fault, I'd guess.

EDIT: If it's not registered on the screen capture then it could just be the screen... does it happen with any colour changes on the screen?

Last edited: 9 Dec 2010
  7. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Ok, i havent got any modern / up to date games, but i could install a old one as a test - in part of my collection i have got hidden and dangerous 2, doom 3 and vampire blood lines. I seem to remember my old pc barely running vampire at low, so this might be a good one to use?

I have tried quite a few screen captures and none display the artifacts? The majority of the time when it happens is when i minimise / maxmise a window. Except for the window moving there are no colour changes, just a very quick flash of a slim strip of black and white squares?

HW monitor now shows 37c for the HD 6870.

I hope its not the hardware, if it is how can i tell?

8. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

If you aren't on 10.10e already (wasn't clear whether you had upgraded or not), do so.
    I think 10.10 was the first to support the 68xx series, and there have been teething issues...
    Best to eliminate that before we start hunting for other root causes, imo.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I got this with 10.11 but downgrading to 10.10 fixed it, so possibly drop down to 10.9 till the new ones come out :)

10. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

If it's a driver problem then you should be laughing... simple fix. If the drivers don't fix it then it might be worth filming the artifacts with a camera/smartphone. Hopefully drivers should fix it.

11. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Just been fiddling about with the themes and i havent seen it do the squares on the Aero themes? But when i switch back to my normal plain grey background it does it?

There are some really nice backgrounds in the themes, but in the past i have only used a single dark colour because i thought photos backgrounds may damage the screen (image retention)? Is this true?

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I very much doubt it.

I keep a background for ages, and never had any problems.

The computers at uni can sit there with the same screen for many hours and no problems on those monitors.

13. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

I believe this was an issue with old CRT displays, and plasmas - if you don't have one of those then it should really not be a problem. This is what Screensavers were designed to combat!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You'll see it at any of the CRT displays at older train stations, some of the departure displays at Reading station have it awfully. TFT's wont suffer from this though :)

15. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

There is this "pylon bug" and it should be fixed with 10.12. Trust me I went trough 2xATI 6870 already thinking that it was GPU itself. Went through RMA's and sht yah no fun, but turns out its shitty AMD driver. Ever since they took over can't even make their product straight, but that’s another story. Anyway let’s all sit tight and wait for AMD to come up with solution.

16. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Cheers guys, that good to hear - how did you find out about the "pylon bug" (contacting ATI?)

17. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I did emailed ATI yes. I did everything that I possibly could, however that knowledge is not from ATI.