1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Selling a 5770, what to buy after?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Podge4, 12 Dec 2010.

1. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've got a brand new Asus 5770 im selling on ebay, but when i've sold it what do i get after. my thoughts are

sell the gpu in my pc (same as above) and get a better gpu
    SSD
    new dvd\blu-ray player
    put it towards water cooling
    maybe, just maybe get Kinect

Im more torn between the first two, but only thing is i've looked at SSD's and would like to know if anyone has bought a cheaper end SSD and what their experience is of it.

If it were a new gpu, i don't know weather to get a new Nvidia card or a Radeon 6870 (something around £200 mark if i sell my gpu too. if i do it after xmas i'll have more £ to spend)

2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

*This topic should be moved to Hardware, but I might aswell answer the question.

If you want to continue gaming I would suggest a new GFX. Try looking at the 6870 or possibly wait for the 6950 which should be arriving imminently.

A SSD is a good idea, but it should be considered something which is extra, on top of a new GFX, if you want to continue gaming that is.

Water cooling is not really needed unless you plan to massively overclock your computer. Or just want to make it more silent, but in that case I would suggest a ThermalTake Frio, or the Gelid Tranquillo. They are a lot less hassle than watercooling.

As for the Kinect, I cannot comment.

3. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

If you're getting rid of your 5770, I don't really see any other option than upgrading to a more powerful GPU.

No really much point in buying an SSD if you don't have a decent GPU, unless you want to load Windows, Webpages or Emails really quickly :rolleyes:

Likewise with watercooling. The expense of putting your rig under water just to spank the arse our of you CPU, or make it a few decibels quieter really isn't worth it. (And water cooled rigs aren't silent, btw)

What are you trying to achieve? Do you use your PC for gaming, and do you intend to in the future? Or are you just looking for some bling?

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

it sounds to me like he has TWO 5770's, one in his case, and the other one he is ebaying for cash.

if that be the case, id say selling both to upgrade to a better GPU is silly...since you could easily crossfire the two 5770's and have equal performance without the hassle/expense of ebaying two cards and buying another.

an SSD would be a good investment, but you probably wont get enough money out of the 5770 to cover the total cost....so as long as you have a few bucks laying around to make up the difference...

whats wrong with your old dvd/blu-ray player? any reason you cant just use your PC?

water cooling is neat...but like others have said, not really necessary unless you plan on abusing your CPU. most reasonable, useful clock speeds can easily be reached on air for less cash and hassle.

console gaming? for shame...:duh:

5. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

One problem is that his motherboard's PCI-E is only 1.0, and the two PCI-E x16 are actually x16/x4...so crossfiring would not be a good idea at all. So in terms of graphic, he can either lose money on selling the 5770s and upgrade to a better single card, or try to pick up a 2nd hand P45 board for £30~£40 that has PCI-E 2.0 and would crossfire at x8/x8 (I've picked up my P5Q Deluxe 2nd hand for £30 for example).

If he can sell his 5770s for £80 new/£70 2nd hand each, he will get £150 back, which he can use to buy a MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Talon Attack for around that money for example:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...gpu-810mhz-shader-1620mhz-336-cores-mini-hdmi

6. Podge4

right, here goes. I got a good deal on 2 5770's ages ago, i got one for me and one for my cousin, he was planning on having the other when he upgraded to a new pc not long after, i've had it since then sitting in a draw waiting. He has just got a laptop so doesn't need new card, i'll sell that one now for definite.

I thought i could sell the new 5770 and put it towards water cooling to push my q6600 a bit more and get a better cooler on the 5770 i have in now. If i was to put the other 5770 in my machine (i think theres still room) i was thinking of the extra heat it would kick out on a long gaming season. Plus what i've heard crossfire doesn't seem worth it. It would cut down on fan noise some what too.

Thats where selling both and just getting a better gpu comes in. i could get more gpu performance with one card (rather than 2 possible overclocked 5770's) that isn't too hot under load then i'll add a bit more and spend about £200 on a new card.

Thats where i was wondering on the performance a ssd would bring at this point. I know stuff like gaming and video encoding is down to gpu and cpu tech more than anythng so would an ssd actually improve things that much, on general loading times i think it would, but is it enough to warrant the price of £170 odd on a 120gb ssd.

Almost forgot. I currently use my pc to watch my blu-rays, which is fine. but would like a stand alone system so i can watch them without the need of having my pc on. Also late at night i don't need my pc running to watch them due to low volume when people are in bed and the fan noise from pc.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2010
  7. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Ive got an Asus 5770 and a Q6600 clocked at 3.42 ghz. For me gpu wise im waiting to see what atis 69xx series is like on wed, price/performance is key for me with ebuyer selling a 5870 for £189.99. May also consider a GTX570 too.

I wouldnt say water cooling your Q6600 would give you much more performance especially for the cost.
    SSD would give you a snappier system, decreased boot times and game level loading times also.

Im most likely gonna upgrade to a sandybridge system beginning of next year but will probably keep an eye out for the Cruical C300 128GB and any good DDR3 deals this side of year.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Photo editing? An SSD is pretty handy if you're chucking hundreds of massive image files about the place, I imagine.

To the OP: It's between a GPU and an SSD. If you're unhappy with your current framerates go for the GPU. If you're unhappy with your read/write speeds, go for the SSD :D

Obvious advice, I know, but the only way to decide is to look at what is currently not amazing about your computer and make it so!

9. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

I think if he can afford the little extra, he really should push for the GTX570 for around £250 (or 6950 if it is compariable in performance and price). Because that's pretty much the level of cards that the overclock Q6600 would keep up with for 1920 res. No need to upgrade graphic card again in the future unless he's upgrading his platform to faster CPU or monitor to higher res than 1920, as the overclocked Q6600 would be a botteneck faster cards such as GTX580/5970 (or even 6970) level cards at 1920 res. So I really think he should just get a GTX570 (or 6950) and be done with it.

SSD can wait, as they are becoming lower and lower in price, and is not a immediate need :cooldude: And no, video-encoding is more CPU dependent...SSD won't really improve the encoding speed much.

10. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

Another vote here for the 6950 option providing they get decent reviews tomorrow (which I'm guessing they will.)

11. Podge4

i've been thinking about it the last couple of days. and i think i now agree with most of the posts here.

New GPU it seems to be.

Now if i can save money after xmas which do i go for. £200 would be my mark (maybe upto £300 i think if i sell both cards and save as much as possible). im not in too much of a rush at the moment, but i've just read 6970 review and it could be between that and the gtx570 which would be top end. Otherwise depending on what the 6950 is like either that or the gtx470.

Are there any others that ppl can recommend

Last edited: 15 Dec 2010