1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hands on with the MSI Wind Pad 100W

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Dec 2010.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Nexxo, you're just arguing now for arguments sake. You know exactly what it means to say that a mobile phone OS is not the same as a full pc OS.

You've also agreed with my statement that it's not the fault of the OS, it's the hardware.

"You cannot expect a tablet device to have the same power as a desktop PC --unless you are happy for it to weigh at least 3lbs and have a three hour battery life. It is the fault of a bad matching of OS to hardware and application by people who want to have their cake and eat it. Every time it happens the product fails: see the HP Slate. When the OS is matched to the hardware and its application well, we have a success: see the iPhone, iPad and Windows PCs."

So what is it you are trying to say again, as it's gone rather cloudy?

PS..Yes I know the iPad is selling quite well and yes, it can't do anything worthwhile.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No I don't. Explain it to me please.

OK, let me repeat, in bold:

It is the fault of a bad matching of OS to hardware and application.

See? It's not the OS's fault. It's not the hardware's fault. It's simply a bad match. If you don't get that concept, then the clouds are entirely in your own head.

9 million people disagree.

3. Snips

You know exactly the difference so stop being argumentative.

I thought you said 12 million in another post? get your facts right next time.

Typing in bold doesn't make your comment any more correct, it just makes you a small shouty person

4. Nexxo

I'm not being argumentative. I genuinely want you to explain it to me. So far everyone who has argued that iOS is not a "full OS" has not been able to explain to me what they mean by that. You keep avoiding the question yourself. I therefore assume you don't really know what the difference is supposed to be; that it's just some vague notion you have that is not based in any logic or reason.

Expected to have sold 12 million by the end of the year; currently has sold 9 million. If you are going to try and catch me out, please get your facts right next time. ;)

Last edited: 31 Dec 2010
  5. Snips

"Indulge me. So far everyone who has argued that iOS is not a "full OS" has not been able to explain to me what they mean by that. You keep dodging the question yourself. I therefore assume you don't really know what the difference is supposed to be. It's just some vague notion that is not based in any logic or reason."

So indulge me, why is a mobile OS exactly the same as a full OS? You obviously have some thoughts on this, so please fill us all in with your devine wisdom.

6. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Snips, punching above your weight is only fun when no one has noticed.

7. Nexxo

Let's start with a definition of an OS:

An OS is software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for efficient execution of various application software.

For hardware functions such as input and output and memory allocation, the operating system acts as an intermediary between application programs and the computer hardware, although the application code is usually executed directly by the hardware, but will frequently call on the OS or be interrupted by it. Operating systems are found on almost any device that contains a computer—from cellular phones and video game consoles to supercomputers and web servers.

Agree so far?

Now the question is: can, say, iOS do the same things that Windows or OSX can?

Well, it manages the hardware, memory, input and output devices. It juggles these resources between the various applications and functions that call on it. It can store and retrieve data. It can deal with crashes. It can run office-type applications and even games that would look fairly impressive on a standard PC 5 years ago. Barring limitations of the hardware, it can in principle do anything that any other OS can. Whether it makes sense to e.g. run basic CAD/CAM software as used on the PC on an iPad is another story, but in theory it could (albeit I suspect rather slowly).

So I would argue that it is a "full" OS, whatever you mean by "full".

Oh, and snide sarcasm makes you look like a small person.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2010
  8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It would be interesting to install iOS on a high end machine (virtual machine?) and try to run high end applications on it.

I'm having to agree with Nexxo. An OS is just a frame you hang programs off of. MS has tried to convince us that a lot of the things hanging off Windows are really part of the OS, but they're not.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I've got snow leopard 10.6.5 in a vm on my pc and it runs everything apple.. even installed the ios sdk- but 99 bucks a year is what apple charges to have access to the app store

snow leopard won't run on older macbooks.. so a lot of their own users get jobbed into buying new hardware when it's not necessary

have you seen how much used macbooks go for on ebay.. around 500 bucks whaaat!! so I do think the apple crowd stereotype is true.. apple harvest the upper middle class to rich bozo who buys 5 dollar coffee in the morning

far as any os- it's what you make it.. you can have the tightest rig if you know what's up.. goes for linux, windows or mac.. I'm of course using windows as my main and like to keep things windows if possible.. things like backtrack need linux- so that's when you'd use linux

all this fighting over different ways of doing the same thing is kind of amusing.. if a tablet lets you be more productive, have at it..

10. Nexxo

The same obsolescence argument could be levied at Windows. How much grunt does it need to run properly these days? You could of course run XP on a 486 --if you don't mind 30 minute boot times and being unable to do anything productive once you're there.

Stereotypes, shmereotypes.

11. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

om nom nom... this rage is tasty.

12. Snips

"Barring limitations of the hardware"

So you're answering and/or correcting your own statements again. The OS is best suited to the most appropriate hardware. So again I ask the valid question, why compare iOS to a full desktop version OS?

Yes you clearly have some love for Apple for which I am not laughing at you for. However, you cannot start being over defensive when someone questions their mobile OS. It's not a full desktop version OS, can it do the same things? yes, maybe one at a time.

PS...yes you're right, snide sarcasm does make you look like a small person.

13. Snips

Well you better keep out of it then.

14. Nexxo

Again, there is no difference between iOS and any other OS. Your distinction of "full" OS is invalid. Moreover you are contradicting yourself. First you agree that the differences in hardware is what makes the difference; then you argue that it is all about (invalid) differences in OS.

You cannot start accusing people of being overdefensive, shouty, small-minded and patronising just because they disagree with you and challenge your arbitrary distinctions.

You better stop it then. :p But seriously: do you think that avoiding tricky questions, making ad hominem attacks and presuming that other people must be contradicting themselves because you don't (want to) follow their line of reasoning are the best way to have a debate? I think not. So let's agree to disagree and call it a day.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2011
  15. Snips

Yes, you better had.

16. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

the ipad is garbage. Tired of seeing people fanboy over something that's regurgitated rubbish from a decade ago. It's nothing more than a rebranded TC1100. I don't understand why the geek community won't hesitate to inform a buyer that the gt 240 they're looking at is just a rebrand, lower power version of an older card, but with the iPad they'll sing its praises.

No matter how much sapphire glass and glass-themed buttons they put on it, it's still one of the worst examples of innovation and what technology should be doing. Yet people lap it up.

Essentially Apple throws the world some table scraps and it gets lauded as though it were Fillet Mignon.

17. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

It may be worth bearing in mind that apple does not simply sell hardware - they go out of their way to deliver an 'experience', and they do this better than most others. That is why their products have a premium price-tag. It's all part of the package.

Not to mention that iOS did not develop itself at no cost to Apple.

I don't agree with many things apple does, but I'm also beginning to understand some others. If it wasn't for the jobsian ego trips, I could even begin to admire them.

18. Nexxo

I wonder if you ever used a TC1100 and an iPad. I have. The TC 1100 has a dismally short 3 hour (tops) battery life and is sluggishly slow and stuttery. Booting up takes several minutes. Its OS is not really geared to touch. You can only use the screen with a stylus. Play video on it and it overheats in 15 minutes --the cooling is not geared to the CPU working that hard. Forget about games. Forget about 3G and GPS maps. The iPad is instant-on, has a ten hour battery life, runs smoothly and plays media, games, whatever, all day --literally. It is also lighter and sturdier and costs half the price of a TC1100 in its day.

In GPU terms, it is a new graphic card that is not only faster but also cheaper, less hot and less power hungry.

But please, don't let these facts, or 9 million sold units get in the way of your beliefs. I've been told that if you play the OSX installation disk backwards, you can hear Steve Jobs sacrificing Dell PCs to Satan. Or something.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2011
  19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

That might not be such a bad thing :p

20. Nexxo

Careful... You're being seduced by the Dark Side. :worried:

Tags: Add Tags