1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Anyone tempted by a day one Sandybridge purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ph4ZeD, 3 Jan 2011.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'm feeling for etailers because Intel chose to launch Sandybridge on a bank holiday, meaning they are slower to get their websites up to date. The reason I'm tempted to shift my system and replace with Sandybridge is native SATA3 (with decent performance) whereas atm I'm using add-in card, UEFI BIOS (big improvement in usability and boot time), great overclocking and performance.

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Are they coming out today then? Scan are open on Sunday from 11-4 so I'd presumbed the release date was still Sunday and they'd just said get the reviews out today and give people a chance to figure out what they want.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

As far as I'm aware, once the NDA lifts you can sell?

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, and official NDA was 9th I thought? Was surprised when I saw all the reviews?

5. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I have no idea to be honest. I'd seen Scan being open on Sunday and what with the release date being on the 9th put 2 and 2 together and may have drastically got everything wrong.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im tempted to upgrade for some 4+ GHz fun.

but won't be buying now until Bit-tech have a solid motherboard recommendation.

mobo roundup please :D

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Chances are I'd get the absolute worst motherboard (regardless of how much it costs), and be stuck with it.

My 2 cents is to just say NO to 1st. day purchases and let the others pay extra for being guinea pigs.

EDIT: oh wow didn't realize the review was out. But yeah, nice improvements on power efficiency, but not really an upgrade enough if you already have a i5/i7/decent AM3-build. (not in my books, anyway.)

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Nope, i'll probably skip sandy bridge entirely. My PC is too powerful as it is.

9. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

just not a big enough jump in performance - went the graphics upgrade route - cpu not limiting factor at the moment.

10. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Want to see some benches and reviews first... so no day one upgrade for me... but, probably won't be able to resist something shiny!

11. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I could be wrong, but I think the review coincides with unveiling at CES, but the official launch is presumably the 9th.

I probably would've done, but I'm thinking of leaving the country in the next couple months, so holding off for now. It's certainly the first lot of kit I'd consider a day 1 purchase.

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Nope, the only thing that will be getting an upgrade in the next year is monitor and graphics card. My cpu can wait for another two years I should think.

13. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

I'll be getting one about a week after launch (friday to be exact). Will have all my money saved by then for a new rig and I'd be insane not to get a Sandybridge. I just hope Scan have pre-overclocked bundles by then.

14. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Running a 920, nah. Even if I was buying a new rig, I'd wait a couple of weeks to see reviews of Mobos especially considering that we get the new EFI replacements for the BIOS. OC3D suggested that often EFI on the new boards was unstable when OC'ing. Wait a week or two for updates and then buy.

It looks like NDA's on reviews is up 7 days before release as all websites have their SB reviews out, but still nothing to preorder on Scan and co don't have it up yet. Neither does Newegg. Still, for new builds it renders everything apart from the 980x and the EVGA SR-2 setups pointless for raw power. And price/performance the i2500K dominates every CPU in existence. Yet, until we get some mobo recomendations I wouldn't order the chips.

15. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Yeah, I know - what a great problem to have. :rock:

I upgraded my system in November 2008 (not the graphics card) and nothing has really stressed it since. Even my old 8800GT which I bought when Crysis came out runs all my games perfectly (apart from Crysis :p). This generation of consoles has saved me a lot of money as games just haven't progressed graphics-wise at all.

Having said that, I am very tempted by an ATI HD6850 at the moment but I can hold out a bit longer I think...

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Good value, yeah. But not cheap. I was hoping for £150 in line with the 750/760. Plus the mobos are a real unknown. If you can only overclock on P67 and not H67, that's rather gay IMO.

18. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I think that 2500k looks pretty tasty for the price. Will probably be the base of my new system when some decent motherboards have been reviewed.

Although the 2600 is also hard to say no to for an extra 60 quid.

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Not tempted by a day one launch but I will purchasing one soon when some decent mobo reviews are out, same as wuyanxu.

Going to hold of until the beginning of February to see GTX 560 reviews/pricing and hopefully a slight shift in the SSD market (Intel have some new ones out soon I believe).

Fun times.

20. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

With almost the same system, this. I won't be surprised if the processor and memory of my current PC make it all the way through to Sandy Bridge's socket successor system (and you just try saying that quickly three times).