1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Worst purchase ever?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elton, 10 Jan 2011.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

possibly buying a rubbish FX5700

curse you nvidia FX series should never have existed

2. Blackmoon181

Blackmoon181 Geography,Its not just colouring in

buying 'red' UV lighting from Scan and spending ages fitting it into my case.

when i turned it on it was pink, very embarrassing!

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Haha, I'm still using our passively cooled 8600GT. It can just about run Bad Company 2, if you accept frame rates hovering around 20 a second, on the lowest possible settings :D AFAIK it has a reasonably low power draw too, so if you have a borderline PSU you don't need to worry too much.

4. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Lately buying Razer Deathadder and Razer Sphex. The Deathadder's laser was broken from the start, and the sticky mat kept peeling on the sides and parts of the mat were picked off and stuck onto a glass desk which took ages to scrape off without leaving a mark.

5. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Quite possibly. I really can't remember more than that it was matrox made and preformed like utter sh**...
    I didn't upgrade, since that PC soon developed a nasty habit of freezing, restarting and generally being horrid. Was then replaced with a 700MHz Celeron (Coppermine, IIRC) :rock:

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

$500 on a questionable LCD projector that turned out to be a POS waste of $500...

7. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

TMNT : Turtles in time. All my hard earned pocket money on a game that was soooo short.

And a 3ghz P4 : had nothing but bother with it and it was pretty slow and molten hot.

Oh and lastly a #9 graphics card. The first ever graphics card to have 32 meg on it, month later nvida brought tout the original geforce, which basically took a massive dump on it.

8. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

As others have said, any time I have tried to do something on a budget, in particular:

All cases I have ever bought (they were never branded)

All graphics cards I have ever owned
    7900 GS > GT 240

I'm not sure which other ones I have had but they were all terrible. Buy cheap, buy twice?

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Saving that small amount of that money seems to be quite the problem.

With that said, I think the worse part is with cases. Cases can easily be cut down upon since they aren't considered to be the most important aspect of our builds.

In my one build, I've went through one case already, the Antec 300, and I am considering replacing the HAF932 with an aluminum case.

10. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

The Antec 300 and HAF 932 are pretty well respected around here, what's your issue with each one?

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Antec 300 while having airflow and decent build quality to boot was actually a bit small. It barely fit my HD4850.

The HAF932, well for a mere $40 more (which is about 30% more than I paid) I could've had a ATCS840, which is admittedly the same size. But it's aluminum, has fan filters and above all was in my eyes better built.

I don't have an issue with those cases, but it makes me regret buying them as I could've gotten something better for a slightly larger amount of money.

Realistically, I would never get more than the ATCCS840, Lian Lis while amazing....are far too expensive, even for my tastes.

12. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

Anything Rosewill.

Elton likes this.
  13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

How so? I have a pretty solid case from them and it has never given me an issue (not like I am going horseback riding up the Alps with it either lol). I cant speak for anything else they make, not that I would go buy a rosewill PSU anytime soon, lol.

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Radeon 7000 to replace my (At that time) aging TNT2.
    Horrible card, and then my motherboard went south, and I got a new one with an onboard FX5200...Then I bought a FX5200, which was better than both...
    But talk about spending money 3 times.

also on the list - borrowing some 100MHz RAM (back in the day), assuming that my machine would clock down to 100 (from 133) when I put it in... My machine didn't... and I had to fork out a fortune to replace my mate's RAM.

15. kylesaisgone

kylesaisgone What's a Dremel?

I guess it's kinda hard to screw up a case, but I've never really bought anything from Rosewill that totaled more than maybe $20, but all their cheap products are... cheap.

16. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

my entire last pc...
    I became seduced by maximum performance for a small amount of money.£600 later a Phenom II x 4 955, £150 ish, gigabyte motherboard (can't remember the revision) £120, OCZ 650w modular psu £70. blu ray drive £80... and finally 8gb of OCZ ddr3 platinum 1600mhz £150 (in the time of ridiculous RAM prices). This thing flew, and is to date the best computer I ave ever owned...didn't use it for anything. stopped gaming, had little time for photo and video work. Sat there on my desk for 6 months before selling it at about a £300 loss.

currently rocking a modest Athlon II on a micro itx board in my Lian Li PC Q08 with 4 gigs of RAM and a 6850... and I love it : )

17. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

@ mrjay

are you friggin kidding me you sold your PC bought a worse one cause you stopped using the power but then proceeded to buy a 6850 when you dont game ???????

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Worst purchase ever happened in 2001 when I bought a Radeon 7500 64MB DDR. It couldn't run anything, didn't even support DX8 and was only about 100$ cheaper than the 8500.

What a terrible purchase...

I also made a friend buy a Core i5 655K :hehe:. I still feel kind of guilty of that one

Oh wait, my worst purchase ever has to be my first Phenom, the 9500 (quad core, 2.2Ghz). This CPU was the biggest POS I have ever seen. It couldn't even run UT2004 ffs !

19. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

yeah I know, I've been trying to get back into it over Christmas, the whole of last year was far to busy to even touch my pc : / so I sold it and put the money toward a holiday for me and the gf. I hate seeing things go to waste, it was also quite huge and sounded awefull when I stressed it with all fans blazing.

love my current setup though, got the case, mb and RAM for £145 on eBay...(see my Sig). the guy obviously didnt know how much it was all worth (just under £300 at the time). My 6850 was only £132 and I already had all the other bits £350 gaming rig = win

20. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

had the same problem with the Striker 2!! ggrr I have never bought anything from Asus since, but been really tempted!