1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Difference Between Ubuntu AMD64 and i386?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DeafGamer2015, 19 Jan 2011.

1. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

hey i was wondering.. whats the difference between Unbuntu 10.10 AMD64 and i386?? cuz im a bit confused on those 2...

Thanks for taking a read to this and confirm this future Ubuntu's user's question

2. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

No expert but I am guessing it is to do with the Kernels for the CPU's ie whether they are AMD 64 bit proc's or Intel 32 bit... May be wrong mind as I am a Linux noob myself

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

install the 64 bit version http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

one build is for amd and the other intel.. new linux users just like punching themselves in the face for days installing drivers though- so have fun xD

get samba working too- can have network shares in windows then while punching yourself in the face modifying obsolete drivers to compile to get it all working :D

then hang upside down on a swingbar and have someone kick your face up around the back of your ass

4. danielmartind

danielmartind What's a Dremel?

AMD64 is 64 bit and i386 is 32 bit as far as I am aware. They work on both Intel and AMD systems. AMD created the spec for the current 64 bit architecture so some refer to it as AMD64.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Hence the recent lawsuit and countersuit between and and Intel.

6. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Dude the hanging upside down on a swing bar comment.. not cool...

7. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

you mean AMD and Intel right?

8. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

as daniel said, they're for 32 and 64 bit systems. Theres no difference between them afaik from a users perspective, but from what i've heard, getting drivers for the 64 bit version can be a pita, even though i haven't had any trouble with it

9. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

Like what's been said... and it depends what you're gonna use it for. As a new user I'd start with 32bit - but that's just me :) I've never had problems with drivers for either. After your first boot, it displays a list of proprietary drivers that would help the system (but they can't include in the ISO for obvious reasons)... eg. I know nvidia are very good about covering their graphics chips.

10. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Ah i see thank you very much Gryphon.. i should make a live CD to try Ubuntu out.. but right now im trying to get a laptop computer so i can do a dual-boot... do anyone here know how to do that??

11. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Really Brighty? well im just thinking of doing a dual-boot with Windows 7 as a gaming system and Ubuntu as a casual surfing system..:worried: should i do that or something else??

12. brighty22

for casual surfing you might as well stick with 32bit.

as for the dual boot, it's easy :) create a new partition (~5GB min) using windows, the just burn the live cd and boot it. If you go straight for the install option and keep all the settings on default, it recognises your windows installation and sets up dual boot with GRUB automatically. check on the partition screen first though to make sure - it shows you what your hdd will look like after it has installed. You want the option 'use largest continuous free space' - which should be the partition you created earlier.

13. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

ok should i have a swap section between Windows and Ubuntu Brighty?? Also i already burned the 32 bit copy on a blank disc.. now all i have to do is get a computer and im set... lol ... re-edited apparently something went wrong with burning a ISO image for Ubuntu... so i have to find a crummy USB Flash Drive in order to put it on my future laptop.. ughhhhh

Last edited: 20 Jan 2011
  14. brighty22

Check the md5 of the iso file, then if it matches the one on the ubuntu download page try burning it to a new disc... u might have had a dodgy one.

The installer splits the partition you give it into several more.. one of which is swap space. Windows can't use it as it won't recognise the filesystem.

15. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Some live CD's will launch into 64 bit if they detect a compatible processor.

16. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

You don't need to create a swap partition if you'd rather keep the partitions simple; in the latest versions of ubuntu a swap file works just as well. Besides, with the majority of computers having 4GB+ of RAM, it's never really used anyway.

17. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

actually i think my cd drive is a bit (excuse my language) Pmsing.. lol i'll just wait till i get enough money to get a laptop AND a usb flash drive.. its not that big for the Ubuntu anyways.. i'll just stick with 32 Bit.. how much can that read for Ubuntu? i know 32 Bit windows 7 can read up to what was it? 3.2 or something GB for RAM.. what about Ubuntu's Limit for RAM??

18. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

How can i check for that Brighty???

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So many wrong advises in here...

amd64 is the 64 bit build (x86_64), i386 is the 32 bit (80368 compatible) build. It has nothing to do with Intel nor AMD. All 64 bit able Intels (except the Itanium series) work with amd64 builds.

You should use the 64bit build if your system is capable. Linux has been 64 bit compatible for years, unlike the Microsoft stuff. And with multilib, a 64bit system can run 32 bit applications too.

About the swap partition, rule of thumb is 2x RAM or 8GB, whichever is smaller. It does not share with Windows! You could use a swap file, but that is a bad idea. Swap is there in case the system runs out of RAM. If you have a swap file you will suffer even more performance loss (if there is any performance left, because swapping is slow) because of the filesystem overhead.

Dual boot, When using kiddy distro's like Ubuntu is no big deal. Install Windows, reboot from the live CD and the installer will do everything for you.

The md5sum can be calculated with some tools, I guess you are using Windows now, so you can use something like this: http://www.bullzip.com/products/md5/info.php (google gives 1001 hits)

20. brighty22

limit for RAM is 4GB for all 32-bit systems.. no matter what OS.

Check the md5s of all recent ubuntu versions here. There is a link to instructions on how to find the md5 of a file you've downloaded at the top.