1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Tips for installing your new SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hamfunk, 21 Jan 2011.

1. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Sorry, no I wasn't suggesting you create more than one partition... OP on SSDs works better in some cases with more space... so I was asking how big was the partition you created?

One of criteria used to judge HDDs is Gb/£... and this seems to have carried over to SSDs where unfortunately it sometimes pays to allow 17/18% for OP and g/c... of course this raises the Gb/£ ratio in a negative sense for the consumer... the original Vertex SF SSDs for example were more efficient if you provisioned 50Gb on a 60Gb drive.

2. ac4155

ac4155 What's a Dremel?

Just a suggestion but why doesn't someone or a few people compile a newbie's guide to SSD's on installing, optimisation, maintenance and what ever else should be included.

This could then be made sticky and would be a sort of 'read first' thread on SSD's. surly this would cut down on all the SSD threads which have been appearing recently.

Or at least a thread which contains links to the other threads which are of worth to read.
    AC

3. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

Good suggestion... I think the reluctance to take this on is because the SSD world is changing day-by-day at the moment... Vertex V3 and C400 are round the corner and hopefully decent SATA III performance, so it would require a lot of time to keep a guide up-to-date.

4. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Dang I just turned off system restore and dropped from 46% usage to 37%.
    As for OP if you are only ever going to use a very small portion, hopefully less than half of the drive, is it necessary to OP?

5. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

I have updated the title and OP (Original Post!) to hopefully act as an SSD installing guide. There does appear to be at least one new SSD thread everyday so hopefully keep this up top for awhile or even sticky'd.

Any further tips suggestions are appreciated and i'll try my best to update OP as much as possible.