1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Rampage 3 Extreme Black Edition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M7ck, 1 Mar 2011.

1. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I came across these photos's on Asus' facebook page and as I know some of you guys don't use facebook I thought I would share. I for one think it looks amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Mar 2011
  2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Which socket is it? 1366?

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Yup. I can tell by the pins, and by having seen a couple sockets in my day.

Guest-16 likes this.
  4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Yeah its a 1366 X58 board.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

The tri channel RAM suggests 1366 too. Looks sexy but it'll cost a fortune. And why E-ATX? Very few cases will fit a board that big.

Edit; actually, is it E-ATX?

6. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Nope, its just standard ATX, its the exact same as a standard R3E only with different colours.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Definitely some Gigabyte Ud4 influence in there.

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

It's extended. Look at the bottom right screw hole. Extended ATX is only like an inch or so deeper than ATX, and this board is Extended ATX.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

looks like a right mean mo-fo of a mobo. Like it would mug you if you took out of the box on your own.

Edit: it would be pretty pointless as you wouldn't have any money left after buying that thing.

10. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Lol.. thats a little troll like. Maybe because of its shape we can say its "very atx influential there"..

Anyway, I in turn have trolled so I shall move on before the rotten veg be thrown my way...

Its very X58A-OC in how the pic-e are laid out... Or its a black version of the Rampage 3 extreme with funky heat sinks.

Either way it looks nice. Not too sure about the rog sticker in the middle though.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Hehe indeed :p
    It's mostly the colour scheme.
    Gigabyte come along with there new UD4/5 and 7 board and people are buying them purely because of the black colour scheme then bamm Asus follow suit.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you gonna put Gigabyte in your name yet? ;) Helen was in tears to find out!!

It's still ATX, just a bit longer and wider than normal (I can get the measurements if you like) and four PCI-E slots have been done for a while on many boards :p Hey MSI has 8 on its Marshall! There's only so much you can arrange things set to a standard too. The Asus board has two PCI-E 1x slots, instead of PCI that the X58A-OC uses.

The adv. of the Black Edn is that the board still supports the Xpander so if you did want four-way SLI it will do it, but since that's 1% of the market, if you only want 2/3 SLI 2/3/4 CF the board supports that natively too :)

Fundamentally the board is the same - the ML Caps have been updated and the Black now comes with WiFi-n, Intel Ethernet, SupremeFX 2 w/ X-Fi onboard and the Thunderbolt card has Killer NIC NPU and Xonar soundcard w/ headphone amp (120dBA stereo SNR) on a single PCB. The board will be sold with an without the Thunderbolt card, and the card will also be sold separately if you want to save PCI-E space :) Even with the card it'll still be cheaper than the Gbt UD9 :lol: :D

WRT black boards: AMD was using Black Edition before ASUS and ASUS was using Black on its RoG boards for years before Gigabyte! Even EVGA did all-black before. It just hasn't migrated to the mainstream boards yet for Asus though :( It's basically the demands of its customers for the high end - everyone wants blackblackblackblackblack.

I'm trying to arrange somethings to get a more in depth look at it soon :)

13. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Lol.. If you want I can put gigabyte in there however I am 9 times out of 10 an Asus boy myself infact Im rocking an MSI BIGBANG XPOWER and the P67A-GD65 as we speak :p.. Doesnt stop the Gigabyte k8n-sli loving though (best board ever!!)

It would certainly be nice to see some write ups and some lovely articles from you at some point seeing as though your practically next door to the HQs for these places :)

If this clocks anything like and as easy as the X58A-OC then Im sold! The Bigbang is pretty awesome and handles some insane bclks on the SS but it would be nice to see a board that can better it as I am yet to find one. (278bclk Cheesecake!)

Anywho, dont be shy, keep the info coming as we can pretty much always count on you to provide the goods :)

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I want SILVER cases back, not these sad little white ones.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How's the Marshall? Post some pics!

Mankz - Silverstone and Lian Li both make black and silver alternatives of their cases and they sell 90% black. :(

16. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

No got the Marshall.. its the X58 bad boy instead however if all goes well I may venture forth to a Marshal soon :D

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Awesome. I've still got that ASUS GTX 580 and hopefully I can actually blag an R3E Black to 'test' Crysis 2 demo.

:D

18. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Well when youve finished playing with the 580 :naughty:

;););)

Wouldnt mind seeing the X58A-OC benched with a triplicate of 580s...

On a side note, whats happened to the "dream PC" articles... Its yearly and that jellyfish still holds the fort. I want to see more tech pron!

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

CustomPC feedback forum - make a thread and ask James ;)

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Silly public. :sigh: