1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Help with BFBC2 packet loss...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 21 Mar 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi there guys,

Three friends and I play a lot of BFBC2, however, one of our group is continually being booted out of games due to a high ping. His line speed is not an issue, since he can download at over 1Mb a sec most of the time, but his packet loss is high. We ran pingtest while playing BC2 the other day, and it returned with 18% loss.

He’s with Sky Broadband (which I am also with), and I was wondering if there was anything that could be done, short of changing ISP, to reduce packet loss, so he’s not continually lagging and getting kicked out of games?

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

does he have an overclock? has he tested the ram? i had a problem with losing packets at one time and it turned out to be bad ram, besides that a new router?

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I have the same problem. Hoping for a solution.....

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

The latest Punkbuster patch i understand is causing all sorts of ping problems including me. All you can do is raise a ticket with Even-balance and hope they resolve this sooner rather than later.

Also, has your friend opened the ports for the game on his router?

Is he connecting wirelessly or via Ethernet?

You could Change the MTU value in the router to 1492. If on wireless change the channel ID, reduce encryption.

6. Parge

Ah, its been happening for a while, so I'm not sure its PB.

I'll ask him about the ports. He's connected wirelessly... is it likely to be this?

I'll look into changing the MTU value.

No Overclock & RAM is good.

I'll also get him to turn off UPnP too, and forward the ports directly to his IP (He'll have to set up a static IP won't he)

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Test it with a fixed cable if you can, wireless can be the cause of packet loss when gaming.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Hi,

A couple of things to check....

1. Is your line stable - i.e are there any devices in your house causing interference? First try disconnecting everything apart from your modem. If this doesn't improve things, try..

2. Plug your modem directly into the BT test socket (you'll need to unscrew the frontplate off the main socket to get at this). If you see an improvement, it means something in your internal wiring or another device is causing problems. If this doesn't help...

3. Check with Sky and see if your connection is interleaved or fast-pathed. ISPs sometimes set the line to interleaved to improve stability, but it has a detremental effect on latency. If you are interleved ask them to move you to fastpath and see if that makes a difference.

If all this fails then I would be stumped too!

9. Nowell @ CCL

I'm gaming on a wireless n upto 150mbps & my connection is only at best 7Mbps however i can play fine. Wireless has come a very long way since it was released and should be good for online gaming (depending on other factors like interface, and travel distance) but in general is nor better than it was but if he can try (like mentioned above) hard wire the machine upto the modem.router & try again.

Also, the ports will need to be open for the game(s) he plays. These are for BC2...

18390 TCP Outgoing
    18395 TCP Outgoing
    18395 UDP Outgoing
    13505 TCP Outgoing
    80 TCP Outgoing

10. Nealieboyee

Interesting! How does forwarding those ports help with ping?

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at his machine. Do other games work OK online? If not, then I would be looking at the telephone line. Is there noise on the line? Tried replacing the filter? How about contacting the ISP to see if they can turn off interleaving on his ADSL line (better for gaming).

12. Nowell @ CCL

Having ports on a said game allows the client and the server to send and receive data feely however if these ports are closed data may only trickle through at best and cause lags spikes as both the client & the server are not in open discuss with each other.

Here's a bit more on port forwarding

13. Nealieboyee

TRY THIS

I've applied the fix and it seems to work so far. Will test it tonight when i play on the CPC server.

14. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

My mate had this problem with his PS3, he got wall plugs (I think thats what there called...) And can now run any game online at a smooth pace...

15. Parge

My friend Ben did this and turned off UPNP- and now it works flawlessly.

He sends his thanks to the lot of you!

Wonderful!
    :D