1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Anonymous threatens Sony

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2011.

1. alf-

alf- Minimodder

credit this was one of most successful things anonymous have done, in the sense it was an actually hack that achieved something, rather than silly DoS attack that achieved minor annoyance.

but as far as i'm aware HBgary is operating albeit with a tarnished reputation though i doubt that matters to its customers as they were pretty seedy themselves. (doesn't fill me with joy that the US government is one such customer)

i still stand my views that anonymous like to make a song and dance about their actions, but in reality don't achieve anything,
    i certainty don't think they can really do much against Sony,
    Sony is just too big and with too many resources at their disposal.

2. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Oh dear Bob no! That's another rant in itself. PC and Android here thankyou.

3. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I wonder how much of a bounty this guy would fetch if we got him to sony in the trunk of a car, do they lend out super sony rifles to those who are willing to try and hunt this guy down?

4. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

So many worthy causes in the world, this is not one of them.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I think Anon would be right in inconveniencing customers. That's (one of) the way(s) protests work - you get peoples' attention by stopping them doing what they want to do, then tell them why you're doing it. If the reason you've got is good - and in this case I'd say most people would agree, particularly with the points that fodder raised about Sony's practices in the past - then chances are most people will actually agree with you and maybe even join your cause.

It's a tight line to walk, and I think the traits of both the gaming crowd and Anon would make it even tighter, but at the end of the day if something is wrong someone's got to stand up and let it be known.

As to whether or not Anon actually accomplish anything, that's another matter. At the end of the day, they're basically a part of the internet: completely wild and untameable, even from themselves.

@those arguing for other more worthwhile causes: how many causes are you fighting for?

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Some people have clearly taken a certain movie to seriously. Quite frankly, twats.

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

sorry for double.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

+1, nay +3

9. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

Two words occur to me: Juvenile and Fail.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

It was as if someone with a similar sounding voice further back in the crowd was echoing you

11. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I used to install plasma tv's and there was a sony and samsung panel that the insides were Exactly the same, slightly different outsides. samsung charged £3,000 and sony charged £5,500, you were spending £1,500 on some extra plastic.

12. Deders

Deders Modder

On the other hand you can get sony headphones for around £40 that give you the same quality as pairs that would normally cost you well over £100.

And better sounding MP3 players than the equivalent (or any) iPod for much less.

13. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

As a PS3 owners I think these 'Anonymous' dickheads should just **** right off. Maybe even get jobs!

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

During my short stint at Best Buy as a Home Theatre associate I learned that Samsung provides Sony with their panels. Sony LCD = Samsung LCD. I've seen the prices flip depending on what features the TV you are buying have. Even the lower end TV brands are technicially premium manufacture's parts. I believe Best Buy's Insignia TVs are just rebranded Toshibas.

15. logonui

logonui Minimodder

So are you saying that people are unable to stand up for what they believe in AND do an honest days work at the same time?

Whilst I agree that Anonymous doesn't directly effect things in a big way, they bring issues to the forefront of the public eye that would otherwise have been swept under the carpet or lost in the bowels of the internet. I hate to think what this world would be like if no one had ever stood up and said "No, I'm not going to stand for this any longer". Without people who actively campaign for the rights of every single person on this planet we wouldn't have half the things we now take for granted.

AstralWanderer likes this.
  16. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Sony may have the marketing and the brand awareness but their choice of proprietary hardware (ie memory cards for their phones) has always kept me well clear of them.

They got off to a good start back in the day bringing the Sony Walkman to the masses and making personal stereos more mainstream. Sony has had some good ideas over the years, often falling short with poor implementations that leave a nasty taste in the mouth of consumers.

+1 to Anon

17. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I'd like to see if anyone actually turns up at the Sony stores, it would be funny if just one guy turned up in a outrageous costume and then got arrested as he screamed about the injustice. Someone should film that.

However I do agree about the breach of privacy, but don't support the hacking of the PS3 and the piracy that has spawned from it.

Anyway I haven't bought a sony product for about 15 years and even then it was my sister buying me a stereo lols.

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The HBGary thing was a bit more convoluted than that. It was actually a separate company HBGary Federal that made asses of themselves. The Federal division was spun off so they could do classified government work without putting the parent companies IP into the mix. Anon released HBG Federal's emails but the owners of HBG personally contacted Anon and convinced them not to release their emails. The information was compromised using a combination of SQL injection and a clever social engineering hack by a 15 year old girl.

I support Anon because they try to do the right thing and are very good at bringing attention to issues that would otherwise disappear into the news cycle.

19. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy What's a Dremel?

If it weren't for the fact that I began boycotting Sony months ago for co-sponsoring the "No Pressure" advertisement I'd be out buying some Sony hardware this instant as a way of saying f--- you, Anonymous, you bunch of Che loven' pussies.

That's a load of crap on stilts.

Being the owner of something, ~I~ set out the terms and conditions by which I hand it over to another. Nobody has any right to dictate to me the terms and conditions by which I hand over something I own to them. If they break the contract then they have committed an immoral act and if the law is moral they have also acted illegally. Nobody as a moral right to privacy as a way of protecting themselves from the consequences of committing an illegal act. They forfeited that right when the act was committed. So, up the Che Guevara Masturbation Society (aka Anonymous), and each one of you is gonna get a big spanking from your daddy when he finds out what you've been up to.

20. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Isn't this a contradiction? If a vendor sets out terms and conditions that state you may not transfer ownership without their approval, then they are dictating terms to you - your second sentence indicates you object to this, while your first supports it.
    So any whistleblower exposing confidential information for the public good (say, exposing corruption or bribery) should have no protection against reprisal? (anonymity being their only safeguard). Or how about a vulnerable person - say someone who was underage and unaware of the results of their actions - should they be subject to trial-by-mob?

I'm not saying that privacy should be a right in all criminal cases mind - it shouldn't - but there will be situations where it is justified, such as long-term public benefit in the case of whistleblowers.

BTW, welcome to the forums...

Tags: Add Tags