1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 'Innovation is key for Call of Duty'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Apr 2011.

1. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

So generally, I thought you throw most innovation out of the window by making a sequel in the first place... so to count, theres what, 8 CoD games? Forget mistaking innovation for profit, I think he's just completely mistuck it for the term "flogging a dead horse"

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

3. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

By innovation, do they mean the art of cramming a bazillion kill streak rewards to make a the map feel like a used baby diper?

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Perhaps they shouldn't have stabbed PC gamers in the back with the MW2 'no dedicated servers' debacle......

I'll never buy an Activision product again...

5. Guinness

Guinness What's a Dremel?

I don't think you should compare call of duty and battlefield. They're totally different types of fps - I enjoy both.

On topic, innovations is a stretch. What they really need to do is spend a little more time on the pc version instead of porting it from the consoles. This would bring more gamers back to the cod franchise than "innovations". If the next cod was a fixed version of blops with greatly improved netcode, more evenly powered weapons and some new maps I'd be happy

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

How about adding more perks, that would be innovative!

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

BF3 will never beat CoD, unfortunately. Not overall anyway, though I think it stands a good chance on PC. The problem is that while Battlefield is an established series on PC, it's struggled to make inroads on the console. BFBC2 proved that, since it has a larger community on PC than on either console (though not both combined), which is probably why DICE decided to make PC the lead platform for BF3.

As for the best CoD series, it's definitely gone downhill since MW1. Up to that point all of the innovations were for the better, but after that the series just recycled the older games or made changes for the worse. WaW definitely wasn't a bad game, I preferred it to Black Ops but that's just because it was pretty much a re-skinned version of MW1 set in WW2.

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

They're working on it:

"Yo dawg, I heard you like perks, so I put a perk in your perk so you can killstreak while you killstreak!"

9. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

LOL I had to re-read that last part about innovation...guy must either be smoking crack or he thinks battlefield franchise is activision's...no short supply of innovation my arse

10. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Reading between the lines; they seem to be saying that COD fans desire for more of the same, SP dumbing down, over use of cut scenes and general cosolification ,may have peaked (even amongst console gamers).

PC players have become pretty dismissive of where this franchise is headed already, after the dedi servers fiasco and then the Black Ops glitches and bugs. Tbh, I've never known anyone quit a game because it's too hard , but the numbers who've quit because of dumbing down, or because some once skilful but rewarding franchise's new iteration now offers little challenge, are thousands upon thousands.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  11. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

i for one thought it would be cool when the rest of the world started playing the games that i have been playing on the pc since i was like 13. then the xbox360 came out, and all the people who called me a nerd in high school are currently stuck behind their tv playing black ops calling people noobs. as i watch them play, they all are terrible at the game too, but they claim to be good - all of them. i can not help but compare a decent pc gamer to the best console gamer. so i bought a microsoft controller to USB on amazon, then ported it to work with modern warfare 1 - and had all the xbox guys try and beat me 1v1 in any level\weapon layout they wanted. i ended up just trying to get their scores negative by letting them fall to their death or throwing grenades back at them because it was like 60 - 0 and i was bored.

i pretty much quit playing first person shooters because the genre is full of morons. i purposely have not bought black ops because activision axed treyarch. i bought portal 2 because i can enjoy it alone. i still go back to quakeLIVE now and then just for a refresh of good first person shooter players who can smoke me.

while i was on deployment with the US navy, i set up a little lan and gave all the CoD players a copy of quake 3 so we could do a little fast paced lan action, and it ended up being 6 versus 1 and i had to resort to trying to make their score negative.

sigh. when the console and pc realm merge so that we can play cross platform - then maybe i will have a taste of fun.

12. Guinness

Guinness What's a Dremel?

How will be fun? You just told us that there was no competition between
    the xbox gamers and you on the pc. Console gamers would never be able to
    compete with a pc gamer on a mouse and keyboard so this will never
    happen:

"The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would
    be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this
    initiative."
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/07/rumour-microsoft-killed-plans-for-pc-vs
    -xbox-360-online-play/

If you want fps fun, get out and grab a copy of blops/bc2 and pit your
    obviously amazing skill against some of the better clans. Bound to be
    more competitive and surely more rewarding than tearing consolers a new
    one?

13. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

'Innovation' and 'Call of Duty' in one sentence?

[obligatory picture of orly owl]

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I know, it made me double take my double take lol. Lucky I wasn't eating or I might have choked to death. :hehe:

15. DbD

DbD Minimodder

+1

Actual internal memo. Buyers are dumb, all we need is a tin with CoD on the lid, another out-there plot line, a bit of re-skinning of the same old maps, and some of perk renaming and they'll buy it all over again at full price. Then we can make a huge profit all over again.

Actually we really don't want to innovate - not only does that cost money but players complain you've ruined XXX and start large hate campaigns - safest to change as little as possible then everyone's happy.

16. blackcell1

blackcell1 What's a Dremel?

from the steam & game stats page,
    30,637 32,432 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
    24,054 26,157 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer

its been like this for weeks, and its growing :) i think their getting rather scared !!

17. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yep, too late now, just prepare for the demise.

18. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Lol theres already been more COD games then GH, but they're definitely pushing the limits on even the hardcore fans with a new game every year.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol Call of Duty 1 and 2 yes everything to follow is just one clone after another but for some reason the price kept going up lol.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I'm done with COD games, COD 1 & 2 = PC classics, COD 4 = ok multi-platform title that still had decent PC support. After that, it was only the short single player campaigns that were not worth paying full price for. Didn't buy MW2, bought black ops but none of the dlc and its clear that the franchise has nothing fresh to offer PC gamers.

Tags: Add Tags