1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other If you were selling a pc....

Discussion in 'General' started by veato, 12 May 2011.

1. veato

veato I should be working

would you sell it whole or split it?

I ask as I'm selling my current PC and I cant help but think I'd get more for it if I split is as someone who simply wants 'a pc' might not value some of the components.

For example the PSU is a quality Corsair one (cant remember model off the top of my head but I think it was highly rated by Custom PC, maybe around 650w?), the Q6600 is B0 stepping, the mobo was the highly regarded Asus P5K Premium/WiFi etc and the monitor was the recommended Samsung 206BW - again by Custom PC. On the otherhand the HDD is run of the mill and the gfx card is a low power media centre type (I gave up on PC gaming).

So what would you do, sell it as a complete system as is or split it down and sell the components?

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

A lot of PCs in the marketplace get split.

The main problem is that you have to organize more sales.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The main problem is that you'll never manage to sell all components if you split it. Then again, you probably don't get any less money for them (just remember to add those pesky postages on top of all prices).

I'd split it. Oh how much RAM does it have? DDR2 has been going at crazy prices recently..

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Pretty much what EC and Jipa have said chap.

Whole system - Gone in one, Less cash.
    Split - Possiblity of parts left over, More money.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Whole, a bit less cash, but you get rid of it in one fell shot.

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I prefer to sell whole, its a LOT less hassle. You only have to receive payment from one person and more importantly you only deal with one person.

And you dont waste as much time.

7. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

Totally agree here. Imagine posting a Antec 300 like I have- I have all the hardware boxes, just that I want to get rid of it cheaply, in fact I'd sell it locally and save on postage in the first place.

8. veato

veato I should be working

Thanks. I'll do the whole lot. And to answer the question it's 4GB DDR2 (1066).

9. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Add to split the multiplying effect of potential problems i.e. oi this "thing" you sold me is broke!

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would sell separate, as it's quite unlikely, certainly in the bi-tech marketplace that anyone will want to buy the system as a whole, and you'll get a fair bit less than you could separate methinks.
    Up to you in the end

11. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I fly in the face of common wisdom.

Ebay it as a whole system on a buy it now.

Word your advert carfully, give lots of links to product reviews explaining why there are a good choice.

Use good pictures.

Be clear as to what you're selling and whats included. An OS is a MUST!.
    if you're a stodent you can get Win7 pro for £40, well worth it to get the sale.

Also set it up patch it, add the normal software and use a free restore/recovery tool for disaster recovery disks.

I had a system that would have sold here for £300 as parts if I sold it all.

I put it on ebay, I did a test advert on a buy it now before I did an auction. I wanted feed back from some mates before it went up for real. I put at £500 thinking it would not sell, giving my mates time to give some feedback.

It sold in 8 hours.

Buy it nows with a good advert can do well

12. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

I would sell it as individual parts. It is however more bother but it up to you if more money is worth it.