1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 No PSN this weekend after Sony hacked. Again.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whirly, 7 May 2011.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Single player still works (bar a few capcom games where they introduced an online component to the DRM for some reason known only to them) Just on line multiplayer and the online store don't work.

2. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Can still play single player, can still download updates for games, can still earn trophies (achievements), can still use the internet browser (and (i think) by extension any iPlayer / 4OD type thing), can still use it as a Blu-Ray player.

Can't log into PSN, so no friends lists/message, no online multiplayer/co-op, no synching trophies (although that will only be a problem if their hard drive dies, and they care about trophies).
    Services like lovefilm may also be affected.

*edit: Ninja'd

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm surprised there's no news of a huge collective that are hunting down the hackers.

Pete J - single player games are fine. In fact, I started playing God of War 3 the other night and was surprised to see it download an update for the game before I could play it. PSN just signs out with an error and says it's down for maintenance.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Is it me or do these Sony/PSN hacks give new meaning to the term "free for all"...

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, I see, thanks for the replies! So it's annoying but you're not left with the equivalent of a bricked console.

6. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Aye, if that was the case I would be sending my unit into Sony. One. Piece. At. A. Time.

Sony is just tarnishing their image really - or perhaps its the hackers that are trying to make a point about sony in general. Cause sony does deserve some of what its getting imo. Like most big companies they need to realize that your customer is your greatest asset - many are beginning to see this I think (although I think that can depend on perspective of the person).

Hope sony comes back stronger and more friendlier. It would do them good.

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Why would people hunt them down? They didn't take the network down Sony did. All they did was make Sony realise their security is total trash.

8. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

The really interesting thing here is just how long it's taking Sony to get PSN back up and running.

I suspect they still don't know exactly how the hackers got into their systems and without that knowledge they can't guarantee there won't be another intrusion in any new system. Maybe I'm wrong here but I have a funny feeling the hack was at least partially an inside job and until they find the culprit, no system they introduce will be secure. Hence the month delay to give them a chance to change location & staff. And do a through investigation.

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

They forced Sony's hand. Taking PSN and Qriocity down indefinitely is simply less damaging than having an open door for hackers.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Oh. So it's not Sony's fault they had Emmental servers... So you give Sony all your info, and you are angry at hackers because they walked in the bank safe through open doors, and not at Sony because they didn't close the doors and didn't protect your info.

Strange people, very strange...

11. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Yes... But who's fault is it the door is open for hackers :rolleyes:

12. sp4nky

Well, is it my fault if I don't brick up my windows simply because someone could break through them to steal my valuables? Actually someone could remove the bricks so I'd have to put metal plates in, use reinforced concrete, etc. just to make sure. And roller-shutters. Oh and a lethal eletric field in case they get through the shutters too...

The point is, it's the hackers' fault for them breaking in, not Sony's.

13. lysaer

Why bother with windows then or alarms ? At the end of the day the security is there and it is all you need. If you were a bank you would keep valuables in a secure safe, you'd obviously not just have windows and a chubb lock.

If there is something valuable that needs protecting then the security needs to be there. So while these hackers took advantage of
    Sony and their flawed system it isn't the hackers fault that Sony has suspended it's service. That is a measure Sony has taken now that they have been publicly embarrassed.

It is also not a fault that the hackers broke in as it was completely intentional.

14. faugusztin

Actually, by law, both are responsible. Hackers for breaking in (but they will be hard to find) and Sony for not securing the information. And actually Sony will take a bigger hit, a lot lot bigger. Because Sony didn't do what law requires.

15. sp4nky

It's a simple fact that had the hackers not broken in, Sony would have continued to think they had enough security and kept PSN up. So yes, it is the hackers fault that Sony has suspended its service.

16. faugusztin

So all you care about is that you are unable to play, right ? You don't care for the fact that Sony did break some laws and agreements when they did not secure the user informations and allowed the hackers to do the biggest user information leak in the history.

Every service provider has to secure their severs, and keep them secure. If you ignore that, then it's your fault from the perspective of the law and users, not the hackers. Of course hackers will get their "reward" in jail too, but for you as a user it should be more important that Sony allowed the security hole to even exists.

Sony is investigated in USA, Canada, UK (fines up to £500k), there is a lawsuit going on on behalf of the users, they broke the agreements with the credit card companies when they didn't inform them about the security breach....

Simply, you look at the issue with the narrow view of the gamer, who lost the access to their favorite stuff (PSN). You ignore the fact that if Sony would do their job, there wouldn't been a security breach and there wouldn't been a PSN outage.

17. lysaer

The problem was there before the hackers exploited it, if Sony was doing it's job properly and had the right redundancy for this situation there would be no issue. Sony opted to take it's network offline because it was insecure, just because it was brought to light by others does not make it their fault. The blame lies with Sony.

18. faugusztin