1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 17 May 2011.

1. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

So you're saying I should stop pissing around with the rather dull overlord and get started on The witcher 1?

Going by the review I'm not sure I would really like this but I feel so tempted too buy it from GOG anyway to support the developers, GOG and their sublime message.

DRM FREE!!!

Shame people are going to pirate the **** out of this :(

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

+1

Wasn't overly fussed about, and haven't really played, the original. I'll definitely give this a go though.

3. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

:D

Crysis 2 take note please....

P.S. on the strength of this review this might be the first 'fantasy' hobgoblins and frilly outfits rpg I've bought since .........Ocarina of Time

4. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

My copy should be on its way, and I simply cannot wait! I was going to replay the first game but I doubt I will now... :clap::clap:

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Dammit.. I guess I have to go finish the original now if W2 has lived up to its hype.

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

But but.....what about my poor shogun 2? T_T

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I seriously need this game. Unfortunately I have just too many to play right now. Which is a shame because I want this game so bad.

Screw Dragon Age. The real RPG action is here.

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

CD Projekt got in touch with us to say that the retail code will have engine/performance optimisations that our review code didn't have (note: not gameplay changes or visual differences, just performance optimisations). We'll give the retail code a whirl when we can and look into a performance/hardware article if we think it's interesting enough.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I need to play the first one (sitting in my steam collection, waiting for spare HDD space to download)

10. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I really really need to finish Witcher one fast now :(

11. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

Now I am burning with anticipation, Joe Martin's opinions regarding RPGs haven't let me down in the past and I suspect they won't now. If only the postman hurried to bring me my copy...

12. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Can't wait to buy it!

question though: is there a difference if i were to buy it from steam? I have loads of games on my account there, wouldn't want to buy this from let's say GoG just because they are 'drm free'.

Meaning: how do the games bought from gog.com work? any accounts needed, or is it basically the same system as steam?

Also, awesome review Joe - i've been banging the drum of the Witcher one being one of the greatest rpg-s ever and i'm pretty sure the second one is even better! :)
    will buy this the first chance i get.

13. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

What happened to No DRM? I know it's not Draconian but 2 PC's is a bit harsh!

[​IMG]
    Installing now :-/

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Was a joy to get in from work and see it sitting there waiting for me. Currently installing it. *bounces up and down like a little kid* :D

15. jhng

jhng What's a Dremel?

95%?? Seriously??

The review certainly suggests that CD Projekt have done a good job and put together a good game, but I didn't get the impression reading it that we're talking about a classic, 'must play', 'will be remembered for years' game. Maybe it is, in which case the review could perhaps bring out that brilliance a bit better. Alternatively, could it be that the score is bit overgenerous for what it really is?

Since the scoring system changed, I've read several recent reviews where I've had this impression. Products that do alright and I would have expected to be respectable 7s in the old days are suddenly 88%, 92% etc etc.

Clearly it is nice to give producers some support -- particularly when they are guys like CDProjekt who are fighting the good fight for PC gaming -- but not at the cost of undermining the usefulness of the review process.

I'll give Witcher 2 a go anyway, although I wasn't so keen on the first one (and ended up dropping it in favour of Dragon Age: Origins). Hopefully, it will indeed be one to remember for years.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The digital copy from GOG.com has no DRM, not the retail copies.

The retail copy DRM is for 2 concurrent installs, uninstalling a copy on one of the two (or not logging into the game for 2 months) should give you an install credit back. As far as DRM schemes go, it doesn't seem too bad. Still, the digital version seems the way to go with this one.

17. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

You sign up for an account (just like any other website) then when you are on your account page, you will be greeted with something similar to:

This

Then you just click on any game to download it (or one of the extras that come with it) Either via a direct link, or the GoG downloader.

EDIT: It's aslo cheaper from GoG than steam.

18. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

A 28MB Activation patch... Just been digging around for my Witcher 1 save files. I'd archived them off my SSD because there's over 500MB of them :D

Just got this...
    [​IMG]

So I have an Unlimited License but I can't register the game to get the DLC...
    "Connection Error. Try again later"... grrrrr...

Last edited: 17 May 2011
  19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Quick question, I thought this was supposed to be a multi platform game? When did they scrap that idea? I'm by no means complaining, just asking out of interest.

20. jon

jon Chief Phrenologist

Good lord! Steam has Witcher 1, Enhanced Edition Director's Cut for $19.99 right now ... GOG.com is offering it up for $4.99 ...

Where do you want to buy your games? :)

Tags: Add Tags