1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo shares plummet after Wii U reveal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

[QUOTE
    This gets hammered to death around here, and in a way it depends on your location, but for me in NZ PC gaming is actually much cheaper than console. I can pick up all my games at amazing prices on Steam ($60NZ brand new instead of $130NZ on console), and with games being developed for consoles first + a long console cycle I don't need to upgrade my computer at all. I run all the latest stuff maxed out at 1080p fine on a 3 year old system (2 year old gpu) and have over 100 steam games. To have that many games on a console with the price difference in my country would by far be more expensive than PC gaming.[/QUOTE]

Games are cheaper in general on the PC here in the UK too, its just the hardware. The cost of a console is the same as a decent graphics card. Simply put, if you want the best, then you need to pay to get the best.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But lets face why bother buying the best any more? This late in the console life cycle and you can match or better it with 3 year old gear second hand off ebay for £100 (ish)

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This.

Also the 'it just works' experience is overrated. I know people who have had multiple 360's red ring, others have had their PS3's die. There are frequent software and firmware updates. You pay for xbox live or PSN goes down. Sure the PC can have issues to work through if you install the wrong drivers or something, but I have never had a PC DIE on me, nor do I lose access to/pay for my online systems.

I will admit that if you want to play the latest during a wave of new consoles being a PC gamer is a bit of a bitch, but that only comes around once every several years so you just need to time it right.

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

The damn thing looks like a "my first gameboy", nasty

5. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

Looking at the new Battlefield 3 footage however, I feel the time may have come for me to stop talking and just upgrade

6. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

I think not. It looks like an iPod screen glued onto a plasticky thing. I'll certainly not be hounding my parents to buy one.

7. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

They DID say it wasn't Wii U footage. "This is what we're expecting" was the kind of phrase that was used to introduce the montage.

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Not wow'd about the console, however:

The idea of playing aliens: Colonial marines and having the screen on the controller being the motion tracker would be totally ****ing awesome

9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

wow wth ... people are weird.. i thought the Wii U looks pretty awesome actually .. can't fathom why it would depress their stock price [shrugs]

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Agreed. I think it looks great.

11. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Is there any information on things like battery life? It's not that handheld if its gotta be plugged in most of the time, seeing as it is a whole console in your hand and capable of outputting HD to a TV? And if battery life is good, how can they fit in the required hardware to be that impressive, plus the battery, plus the screen workings, etc etc in something that small and still allow room for the thing to be cooled? I assume it'll be passively cooled, which sounds a bit iffy if its performance really is good.

It may very well be a success and a good thing, but I would like some of the hardware and technical issues announced before getting too excited. It could just turn out to be a 3DS that has an output to a tv, for instance...

12. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Sorry - I just read that there is a separate under-tv base console that has the hardware. That answers my questions then. Although that just makes this just another console but one with a very large controller?

13. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Dude, that's a controller. There is another box that drives it..

14. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

Forget my last post.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

That controller is strictly speaking an extension of the console. You basically have one per console, and for multiplayer games you use the standard Wii peripherals.. Wiimote and nunchuck, Classic Controller, Balance Board etc. At least that is how I understand it.

16. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

From reading a bit, I think the stockholders and analysts were thinking that Nintendo would announce a plethora of Facebook connections along with their new system, to run Farmville and update your status from your WiiU tablet, to capture the growing social gamer market. Anyone who is familiar with Nintendo shouldn't be expecting such a reach outside their own networks however.

17. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

^
    Inherently true statement, but incredibly badly worded...

Anyways I'm not surprised, I don't now what Nintendo expected... this doesn't seem like a huge step up from the Wii, and still can't compete with Sony & M$ since they both jumped ship with the whole movement gimmick. Also it doesn't even matter if the competiotrs won't release a new console for the next few years, they've obviously proved the longevity of their current gen offerings with the peripheral upgrades. Nintendo flop imho.

18. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Wii = casual gamers

Consoles = "core"/mainstream gamers who don't mind using awful controllers, watching inferior graphics, and enjoy paying twice as much for their games

PC = actual gamers

19. Gh0stDrag0n

Gh0stDrag0n Unleash the Beast!

Or... Hardcore Gamer = Owns and plays all platforms. ;)

20. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

Sigh, so totally wrong. I would hazard to guess a significant portion of the "actual gamers" demographic cut their teeth on the NES which, if you're either too old or too young to remember, was something of a worldwide phenomenon (X-mas 1985 was the BEST. EVER). A testament to its legacy is the proliferation of the ubiquitous D-pad, a gaming staple which brought countless hours of "actual" gaming across the globe for many years.

No one will debate KB/mouse for FPS or RTS or the like, but categorizing console controllers - particularly the Playstation DS3 - as "awful" (which you did with your carte blanche condemnation) leaves me to assume you're a casual gamer, as an "actual gamer" would concede the gamepad its uses. Unless you're dirt poor, a masochist, or technologically unable to pair a controller with your PC, I just can't see anyone choosing to play fare like Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Arkham Asylum et al. with a keyboard and mouse over a gamepad.

You should also notice the "actual gamers" in here play on multiple platforms.

Tags: Add Tags