1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Backup Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sp0rk, 30 Jun 2011.

1. sp0rk

sp0rk What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have a spare 1TB Spinpoint drive I want to use as a backup drive, however it would be useful to allow other computers (laptops etc) to backup to it as well so is there such a thing that can be connected directly to a machine, but also network accessible (not at the same time)?

My main computer would be a fairly large backup but the laptops no more than 500mb each!

Cheers,
    Jim

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You ask for software or hardware ? If hardware, then look at NAS boxes, if software then look at Crashplan - you will have it installed on all your PCs and you will backup to the one PC where the hard drive will be connected.

3. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Yeah sounds like you're either looking for a NAS box or just an external hard drive enclosure hooked up to one of the network computers and share the drive...?

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

There's no need for it to be an external drive at all... Simply sharing an internal drive/folders on it & mapping it to (a) drive letter/s on the other machines should allow most/all backup software to work perfectly well.

Well, if a machine is always on, what's the gain in sticking it into a USB/eSATA/Firewire/NAS/SAS/... enclosure for the sake of it?