Other Mobile Phone GSM repeater

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Picky88, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Not strictly computer related, but we live in a very bad signal area, and the house seems to absorb signal aswell, so you can only get signal if you stand outside, or press your face against a window. Has anyone used one of these GSM repeaters? How well do they send signal through walls? Are they worth the money? Dont want to put down £150 and fit an external antenna for no benefit.

Cheers,

Picky88

2. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

Are you on Orange by any chance? LOL. Down south anywhere below london they are crap for signal lol. But your in york so probs wont effect you :(

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Really? I couldn't agree with you less, I hardly ever drop out of signal range. Sure there are areas where signal is poorer than usual, but it's never an issue, and now with access to T-Mobile signal, it's no longer an issue.

Sam

4. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I was abit unclear actually sorry, Signal wise is good but internet connection is awfull for mobile browsing..As soon as im in london the signel is fantastic. Sitting on train browsing full speed for 45mins is great. Constant 3G+ Speeds but between brighton and london speeds are just G and sometimes scratch abit higher lol.

5. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

For me its not a question of which carrier, as all of them perform poorly, we are in a fairly remote area. Nearest corner shop is 6 miles away. Hoping one of these amplifiers would make a big difference!

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Most major phone companies now offer devices (Femtocells? I think.) which can be plugged into your router. You then set them up with your phone and signal will be great.

A Vodafone Offering- 50 quid.

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

A friend of mine has one in his house, it's bizarre having full signal deep in a basement. :eek:

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ahh, Yes, It's the same for all networks on that line though, because it's going through the South Downs, It's the same down Arun Valley too, Hardly any signal between Arundel and Horsham.

Sam

9. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Well we got one and fitted it, takes a while to route cables all over the place but the difference in signal is great. Well worth it if you live in a place with poor signal.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

don't admit to having a gsm booster, they are illegal to use in the uk, even though you can buy them, you risk a fine of £5000 and/or imprisonment if caught and prosecuted

the specific offence is is covered under the wireless telegraphy act as amended 2006

you use one of the telecom companies supplied equipment, as they are licensed

Last edited: 25 Jul 2011