1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 smartphone announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I spy an Apple Dock.

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If the battery life were better I think this would be a fantastic device, though their timing is a bit odd, given that Windows 8 is on the horizon and is set to offer a better mobile experience than W7 ever could. In theory.

As someone who got into SmartPhones back in the twilight of WinMo and just before the iPhone revolution I see this sort of device as the kind of thing *I* originally wanted from a smartphone. Whether or not a 'pocket PC' (as opposed to PocketPC) is actually practical or desirable in the modern market dominated by iPhones and Android-phones is another matter, though.

I'm a sucker for QWERTY phones. If the battery life was better, if the Windows7 experience was pleasant and if the 'other' OS wasn't terrible, I'd probably be quite interested in this device. That's a lot of 'if's, though.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2011
  4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

pity the usb port is on a dock, could use summat like this for chanalyzer instead of a bulky laptop

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'm guessing the only smartphone that burns your hand :)
    It sounds like an OK idea, it'll never be my things but if the OS is responsive enough, I'm sure it'll be good looking at the level of features.

6. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I was going to say the same thing, I don't understand why any company would copy this. IMO having a silly little "3D" tray for some 2D icons looks bad on any device.

Oh, also, why? I literally can not think why I'd want one of these.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

8. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Awesome, I'd not want this just yet, but I'd be really interested to see 2nd and 3rd generations of this device so I hope it takes off.

9. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

But can it play crysis?

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

That's almost twice what the Galaxy S II weighs! And 2 hours on battery is a joke.

11. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

I want one.

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Though it's an interesting idea in theory, there's a lot wrong with this. It's going to be funny when it gets a malware infection, though.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Not gonna be on my upgrade wishlist, though it's cool to know that phones are getting powerful enough to run full fat operating systems. It's probably not a very enjoyable experience but there's potential out there. Technology will always move forward and phones will always be a step behind desktops in terms of performance, but eventually there'll be a plateau where phone performance isn't percieved as "slow", simply not as fast as desktops. The same thing happened with the smartphones of today, in the past the technology wasn't capable enough to run mobiles operating systems with enough speed or capability to be widely accepted. Now we've hit the mobile OS plateau where increased performance is always welcome, but current speeds are considered fast enough to enjoyably use, hence the massive boom in smartphone sales and usage. Over the next couple of years the hardware will outgrow strictly mobile operating systems and move to full-fat OS with mobile-influenced interfaces.

Also, travelling businessman's dream? A smartphone capable of all of your email, text and calling needs that turns into and ultra-portable laptop when you get to the hotel. Plug it into your room's TV and hook it up to the charger, now you've got a workstation for editing tomorrow's presentation.

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Most Atom netbooks come with Windows Starter. I wonder why they've used Home Premium for this?
    Based on my experience with the speed on Windows on Atom, I'll be staying well clear of this phone eevn though I really like Windows 7 in general.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I didn't think Windows 7 was too bad on Atom; at least once you'd tweaked a few of the more CPU and GPU hungry defaults so they were off. Windows XP and Vista, however... they were not good experiences.

Quite a large part of that was likely the fact that XP and Vista were running off a HDD, while Win 7 was running off an SSD. I'll presume that this phone will have... I don't know, 32GB of reasonably fast NAND for the Windows drive, rather than running off a 1.8" spinning disk. So some of the horror of Windows on Atom might well be minimalised.

Other than that, I'm intrigued, but not enough to pay what will undoubtedly be a lot of money for it.

16. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Now that's nice... after using WP7 on my HTC for the past few months I can happily go with "I shall be looking into this further..." Never had such a decent OS just "work" when I've told it to!

17. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Battery life of 2 hours in windows mode -_-

No thanks!!!!

18. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Interesting in that this is exactly the kind of convergence that has been touted ever since the first iPhone was released. For my basic PC needs this would fit the bill perfectly: Running a lightweight mobile OS when on the go, but when I have access to a power socket and a monitor/keyboard I can have the full windows experience. Still not looking to replace my Sensation (which is awesome BTW) but I'd love to see more movement in this direction.

19. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

20. victorres2

victorres2 DONT LOOK FOR THE EASY WAY OUT

one of the things i noted is that the reason apple is selliing their crap so well agaisnt android marvels is that apple is seemingly the only ones worried about battery life and only battery life.

think about it people that buy all these things dont readily have a power socket available at any given time, most are on the go but not in their cars due to high gas prices. no cars no power no android/mobile 7 or whatever.
    just ipad that can go days without charging.

Tags: Add Tags