1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Is the OCZ Agility 3 drive a good drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by murraynt, 27 Jul 2011.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Afternoon chaps.

I'm about to buy an SSD and i'm just deciding between the above drive and a M4 drive.

Any thoughts guys?

I hope these SSD's are all what they are hyped up to be.

Thanks.

2. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

You post just made me check the pricing again, I always thought the M4 was better value, but for drives at 128GB or less not any more tho! I think the Agility 3 120gb would be better, most notably because the top speeds on the M4 drives are achieved by having all the memory channels filled, this only occurs on the 256GB and 512gb drives, the others have some of the channels unused.

So I would say the new sandforce drives are always faster and for capacity less than 128GB can be better value (like the Agility 3). For capacities over 256GB the M4 is still slower but is much better value.

And I think the reality about performance is I think you would have to be some kind of rainman-esque freak to notice the real world difference on any of these drives in real world day to day use, they are all super fast.

murraynt likes this.
  3. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

With the latest firmware the drive is very good indeed. Its a shame it wasnt as reliable as it shiould have been to start but this was a Sandforce issue rather than a manufacturer issue as the reliability effected the corsair units too if you scan your memory back

The M4 is excellent though and if your not into OCZ, the Corsair Force 3 is also a good choice.

murraynt likes this.
  4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Forgot to mention that it is the 64gb version i'm going for.

Im not attached to any company really its just this one caught my eye.

5. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

6. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

They are all the same price but the Agility 3 should go faster than the M4 (and significantly faster on the writes by the looks of things) although the M4 has slightly more storage (64GB vs 60GB).

7. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

I've heard of instances of OCZ drives not being detected if they're set as the boot drive. It seems to be an intermittant problem.

murraynt likes this.
  8. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

9. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Haven't had issues with that. I just got an OCZ Agility 3 60GB, was the cheapest pick out of the SATA3 Sandforce lot and incredibly impressed.

murraynt likes this.
  10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered earlier today along with a new motherboard :)

All repped and what not.

11. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Just FYI, you can't look at a review of the performance of a 240 Gb version of an SSD and know how the 60 Gb version will perform.

There can be a huge difference in the performance due to things like number of channels used in parallel, and the number and density of chips on each channel.

AnandTech's Bench section lets you compare SSD's, check out this comparison of the 60 Gb vs 240 Gb versions of the Agility 3 (when both are on a SATA 6 GBPS port):

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/402?vs=373

12. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

13. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Slight price difference there though MSHunter :)

£88.32 for the Agility 3 60 Gb, £217.34 for the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 120 Gb

If you can afford the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS drive that's certainly what I'd go for too, but not everyone has that kind of cash to spend on an SSD

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

.... yes there is also a slight difference in size. But in general higher IOPS and newer Sandforce controller is better. the SF controller in the MAXiops is the first one to really beat a C300 or M4 across the board.

in his shoes a small C300 or M4 would be fast/better.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

In real world scenarios the differences between the M4 and Agility 3 (60GB) - or any fast SSD for that matter - would be inconsequential given the boost either/any of them given over a HDD.

3lusive likes this.
  16. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

I agree, you'll never, ever notice a few MB/s difference except in benches, so what does it really matter? Unless you're petty like that :p

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

As a boot drive the vertex 3 is better but the m4 is better for incompressible data.

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

used to be true but not since the new Sandforce driver. at least according to reviews.

19. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

It is true - the Sandforce controller manages to get such high performance by compressing data. If the data can't be compressed, the performance drops a lot.

20. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Currently looking at 120gb ssds atm and the adata s511 series look quite good, from reviews I've seen they have quite similar performance to a vertex 3 but are about the same price as an agility 3 (£93 for 60 gb and £162 for 120gb).

Having looked at quite a lot of different reviews though it does seem that depending on what tests they do you can make different ssds look best, I doubt the variation in speed in general use (they'll all be way faster than a hard disk).