1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Is there still a need for water-cooling?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Jul 2011.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

They aren't. They are a good 15 - 20 degrees lower on water, compared to the original stock cooler. This is on a skinny 240 rad and low speed fans - don't have the space for a full fat radiator in the roof of the case, although I could squeeze in a skinny 360 (already on my list of things to do). ;)

560 GPUs run cooler than those in the 295 anyway.

Yes, as I already mentioned, the spot cooling gains were marginal (a couple of degrees) with the fan flow reversed, and resulted in higher chassis ambient temp.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I guess one of those giant silverstone cases would be nice but they're not cheap (or the Corsair Obsidian). I am quite extreme with my liquid cooling though but not as bad as I used to be. Once hooked up a mazda mx5 radiator in my water loop. Jeez that thing had quiet fans at low speed. At high speed they had a low roar very similar to a C130 aircraft.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

It would be very nice indeed. I keep reading the review of the Elysium and trying to come up with a way to justify the spend. :D

4. feathers

feathers Minimodder

That is one seriously nice case for £148. I don't mind that kind of price so much. I don't like the cases priced £250 upwards though.

5. alphadog1989

alphadog1989 What's a Dremel?

Watercooling is essential, I would never give my Watercooling setup away, I don't even hear one db from my computer since I've installed it.

Before gaming and watching movies was a terrible act of noise.

Look at radiators like Coolgate, they even get more silent optimized, so that you can enjoy your system sounds out of the boxes, not out of the system :D

I'm also no overclocker, I indeed could do this, cause my highest CPU temp was 30°C and highest graphic Temp 50°C, but I'm just enjoying the silence and I hope along with these temps my hardware lives a long life.

Along with the cool look watercooling gives and the low noise, I think it makes more sense, to setup more systems with integrated watercooling solutions

6. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Sorry mate but I don't agree with your statement about not hearing one db - although you could be correct it could be 20db... :hip:

I agree you can get a very quiet watercooling setup though.

To give you some idea, SilentPCReview use around 18db as their idea of silent.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I am reading about 31db in my room. Probably better to take reading at night when chavs are asleep.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think maybe a few of you should revise your water setups for maximum cooling. Dont go for a standard arrangement.

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Ooops I just bought an H70...

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

11. Coz

Coz What's a Dremel?

Personally I don't believe in the need for Water-cooling these days. I used to run an Asetek Waterchill (KT12A-L30 Kit) set-up and it was essential for keeping my NVIDIA 6800GT as quiet as I liked! But as the CPU heatsinks got bigger, the fans got quieter and the stock VGA coolers got waaaay better I don't need watercooling for a quiet system now (and I've got freaky-good hearing and low tolerance for noise).

Plus, I swear I used to hear a dripping sound ALL the time with watercooling even though it never leaked. :eeek:

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

LOL at your dripping.

I guess you have better GPU air cooler than me then because I bought the MSI ******** (also backed up by review sites) saying the MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr II was quiet and cool. I only chose the MSI because my original planned purchase (Gigabyte Super OC2) was in such short supply. So I now have 2 of the MSI and even one is noisy as **** on air and hotter than my friend's Gigabyte 560Ti Super.

They are very hit and miss with overclocking. One of the MSI goes over 1ghz (stock is 880mhz for these ones) while the other can't even manage 925mhz. Fecking pathetic. At least the little *******s are silent and cool now on liquid.

13. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

Look all this liquid cooling kit thats coming up on ebay is a "bargin" why would you sell such lovely kit when sooner rather than later a monster chip will arrive again. And you've guessed it more ridiculous cooling will be needed, even with 32nm quad I think you need it.

14. timevans999

Also a lot of people have "no side fan" over thier water this normally results in higher temps by at least 8 degrees c.

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Eh? Side fan?

16. timevans999

yes i mean either cut a 200mm fan into your side door or buy a case with a big fan in the side door. My case is just a t/take Kandalf with a 200mm fan cut in to the plastic.

17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I got a cosmos case comes with soundproof panels but I replaced the side with a window side panel. I also bought some steel mesh and I can unscrew the window and fit the mesh if necessary. I did that when my GPU's were air cooled but now they're on liquid the cooling is so good.

I have just built a PC for my GF and I chose an inexpensive case from ebuyer. £29 and I am shocked how good it is. It has CPU cutout, screwless quick fit hard disk & 5/14 bays, bottom PSU, front LED 120 fan directly cooling any hard disks, space for rear 120 fan, space for 2 x 120 side fans as well as space for 120 top fan. The finish is black steel (black inside and out). Absolutely fantastic for the price. Oh it also has 2 holes at the rear for liquid cooling.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172779

18. Coz

Coz What's a Dremel?

I've got a couple of Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB cards in SLi and the stock cooler is fantastic - I don't think I've ever even heard it! They replaced 2 x Radeon HD 4870 1GB cards because I just found them much too loud for my tastes.

Funny you should mention the MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr II/OC though, I was *just* about to pull the trigger on buying two of them to replace my 460s last week and didn't after reading about possible reliability issues. But every review I saw said the cooler was top-notch - both quiet and cool as you mentioned. Surprised to hear that wasn't the case with your cards, I wonder if there was some sloppy work done mounting the stock cooler to the card? Have you thought about re-mounting one of them to see if it makes any difference?

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I suspect the MSI fan and cooler to be inferior compared to the gigabyte. My Gigabyte 260 super OC had a very quiet fan and my Belgian friend says the same about his Giga 560ti. I can't see myself re-fitting now though because I don't want to disturb the liquid cooling.

I wonder if the thermal paste was crap on the 2 x MSI I have? Even so the fans were very noisy. On my giga 260 super the fan had a silent motor (all you could hear was air noise at high speed). The MSI 560 fans produce a whine like a vacuum cleaner at mid to high speed.

If you do go for 560Ti's I would recommend you stick with Gigabyte. Go for the super overclocks. One of my 560 reaches past 1ghz and the other wont go past 925mhz on liquid which is pathetic.

20. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Watercooling a graphicscards has the issue of the power circuitry also being in need of a lot of cooling, and those things aren't a nice simple square often :/

Tags: Add Tags