Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Why does this sound like: WAAH! WAAH! WAAAAHHH! :waah:

You want, you want. Starting to sound like a rioter now. :p

Yeah, and so did Hitler. He rose to power on them. Far-Right parties live on the votes of ignorant and fearful people by offering simplistic solutions and a convenient scapegoat to blame. And they have no problem wielding power and authority. They just don't know when to stop.

You don't worry about what's best for the country or community; you worry about yourself. Rioters need firm boundaries, but we need to boundary our fears too. Stupidity is not a short-cut to wisdom.

Last edited: 10 Aug 2011
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

With more people dieing as a result of these riots, I really think something needs to be stepped up, and if I'm honest, I'm still confused as to why they are still going on, why not get the army (unarmed/armed as much as the police) to just have more feet on the ground, so the police can get arresting without worrying about not having enough people to man the 'front line' while they take people away.

I mean, sure you agree Nexxo, something has to be done now to stem the damage atleast, probably nothing long term, but something quick so we can stop this escalating any further than it already has.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

In all honesty, they're not providing the level of care we've come to expect. Why do you think it's been going on for so long? It's bad enough being one evening's anarchy, for it to continue every evening since is shameful, which reflects quite badly on the government, wouldn't you agree?

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your input... your message has being put in the bin next to me!

I'm sorry but instead of throwing insults at members and acting like a spoilt brat how about you join in with the debate and come up with your ideas to STOP this problem... or are you happy for this to go on with your attitude!!

5. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Definitely, im just going by what MP's and officials have been saying. They seem more willing to accept "youths attacking on the street" rather than "Army & Police shooting rubber bullets and firing tear gas on some youths as young as 10"

6. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I would. Totally.

I am without doubt that it will happen again tonight and I'm gonna be confined to my flat whilst the looters/vandals (face it they aren't rioting anymore - if they even were in the first place) run around unhindered. And I'll wake up tomorrow and round the corner there'll be another line of cars with all the windows smashed in, and there might be another handful of innocents dead. Theresa May will tell me that this is the correct way to police in this country and a load of tanned MP's will be preparing to sit down and reach no conclusions at all, 5 days too late.

And all this time, a no-where-near-enough number of police will be on the streets watching it happen with no capability to do anything other than try and usher them away. And I'll be told that a small number of these people are being retrospectively arrested and a tiny percentage of this number are being charged. And some 11 year old kid is sitting in his living room with 3 macbooks.

Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside eh? :hehe:

7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The current government are just scared of offending someone/hurting someone.
    Whereas they see less harm in the youths doing the damage since they can condemn them for it

8. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Anyone else seen the petition to remove benefits from any caught rioting good idea in my book.

9. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

Well chaps you're in really good company with the whole thinking the government aren't doing the right thing:

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I LOL'ed. Hard.

11. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

So, what ideas do you have? What tactics do you suggest should be explored to solve this disorganised, random chaos?

And be realistic please, none of this, "Get the army in, shoot them all and put them in an army camp" bollocks.

12. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I have already committed to this thread with my ideas which have also being shared by many folk also hundreds of people seem to share my idea too. Bring in the troops!!!

Please, can you tell me why this is a bollocks idea and what do you suggest we do?

13. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Water cannons + tear gas + rubber bullets, probably in that order. Try the first, if it fails move on.

14. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

Troops on the street is the last, last resort I want to see really and I don't think it will be necessary. There are loads of options to try before that which haven't been implemented yet, and I stilly fully believe that a small show of force will send the vast majority of these copycat criminals just in it for the looting running a mile and not coming back.

Water cannons have been made available, rubber bullets have not been ruled out though seeing as they're designed to drive back and disperse proper rioters, which these aren't, I can't see them being that effective.

A curfew would be if done right. Also on the radio this morning eye-witnesses were saying the most effective method they saw was the use of police dogs. Send 30 alsatians running into a pack of youths and see how long they stand and fight for.

15. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Really?

Tbh, I don't really care how this gets dealt with now, I want to gone and ended by friday, as I have a date. >:|

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

All those sound like fine choices, but just arresting some of these people would be a good start. Most of them are just opportunists and probably wouldn't be there if they thought there was a chance of them getting caught. However, I'm pretty sure the reason for the low number of arrests is that there is nowhere to put them - even on a Friday or Saturday night a lot of police station's cells are close to full capacity, so arresting these people isn't going to do much good, especially when you have most of the police force out on the streets where they are unable to babysit/process those people they've arrested.

17. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

There has also been a response from Iran:

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

So, give them all 50" plasma screens then?

I honestly don't know how the police could show more restraint than they already have, I mean they haven't even done anything yet!

19. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Iran are idiots. They clearly have no grasp of the situation and should STFU.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

All in all a pretty pathetic week for the UK. Olympics are gonna be a riot fun. Had to have a chuckle at Boris being shouted down by the crowds, these are people that can move around the world in under 24 hours when there are NO flights in and out of the UK but it takes them 3 days to put their cocktail down, get off the beach, get out of their short shorts and hop on a plane? And to what end!? "Oh hey, what you're doing here is bad.....we should do something"

I'm all for people saying that we're getting worse with every generation but really I think it's our government that's taken the turn. How much longer is it going to be a game of 'pussyfoot around the media to ensure longevity & blag your way through the rest of the ****, running the country and all that boring stuff..'