1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are our folders?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by One_Box, 7 Jul 2011.

1. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

I never got to grips with the BOINC scoring system. Is there an easy way to monitor several machines running different projects?

Perhaps I should post this elsewhere :duh:

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

After chimps I folded 24/7 for a week to overtake a few guys ive been only just outpacing and to hit 300k mark. I would love to fold more but dont have the money to improve my PPD/W so will only fold part time until my GPU dies or christmas comes.

3. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

Interesting I should come across a thread such as this, just as I'm getting back to the forums/folding...

Slowly adding machines back in my name, dropped out for a while due to apartment living/life in general.

Good to be back!

4. Christopher N. Lew

Welcome back

5. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

The latest version of the BOINC Manager that you have to run on every PC that you want to do work for the BOINC network allows you to connect remotely to any other host machine.
    A bit like F@H Client 7 works but not so slick as you can only connect to one machine at a time (as far as I can see).

However there are a few "Account Managers" which are web sites that help you control a network of machines. You tell the web site what projects you want to run and on what machines and it will regularly connect to them for you and ensure they are properly fed.
    I tried GridRepublic first (nicer graphics) but settled on BOINCstats/BAM because it handles more projects.

It also gives you combined stats to show where you are against everyone else in the world.
    It's a bit of a micky-mouse design and if it feels like you are using something that was designed 10 years ago and then patched a bit to keep it up to date - well, you are! :sigh:
    But it is functional in a Linux vs Windows kind of way.

6. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

It looks like most top teams are suffering in the same way (check Team Users Info on EOC), so it isn't the mag :thumb:

7. Christopher N. Lew

Thanks Dave, I'll take a look at those pages

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Before FAH I used to run various projects on BOINC but after reading in a couple of places about the only people that benefited from the results were big corporations and their "fat-cat" CEO's etc I dropped it and then a few months later I noticed F&H in CustomPC.

Personally I'll never be going back to BOINC projects as there is too much doubt in my mind users are getting stitched up and the results gained from the projects are topping up big corporations bank accounts as opposed to doing something for the greater good of the human race...

Anyway, sorry about the small rant lol its just BOINC don't sit right with me any more! :worried:

9. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Let's hope F@H doesn't go the route Coolamasta described, although it wouldn't be a big shock if they "discover" a treatment for cancer that doesn't actually cure it but just allows you to live long enough to spend everything you've got on it.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I wonder if it would be worth having another section for other projects. I know this may lead to some people moving from F@H but I feel having the choice for any doubters, other interests or even people with sub optimal hardware configurations (I folded on an HD4870 for my first 100000 points for example) may be beneficial. Use customPC/bittech for even greater good rather than focusing on one project and topping charts (not accusing anyone of anything and yes I will prob get shot since some people have that interest lol)

11. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

For me once it gets too hot I stop as I my home office turns into a sauna! Will fold in the winter as the rigs double up as heaters.. Leccy bill was scary this year though, added about £300 for 4 - 5 months folding, and british gas whopping another 25% on is not going to help.

We do have a great team though and a great community. As with all things, there are cycles, we are just going through a down one at the moment.

Dont panic!! :)

12. houch

houch Minimodder

i stopped coz me ps3 had done enough, 1000wu's plus, and the gpu in me pc isnt worth using, i will fold when i buy meself a better pc but that wont be until ive joined the army in oct

13. dickiedum

dickiedum What's a Dremel?

Back to Folding

I have been folding on and off for a few years, only have about 370,00 points altogether. The reason i started folding again was to stress out my 480gtx (12 -14000 PPD) and my new overclocked i2600k.
    After only getting 5000 PPD at first with my i7 i started to read the forums. My 2600 now produces about 50,000 PPD at 4.8ghz but i have set it to run at 4.5 due to heat. It still produces about 40,000 a day, far more than my 480 and for less electricity as well.
    I like the new look mag but four and a half quid is a lot of cash for a student/pensioner to find.
    Keep up the good work and keep folding.

14. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I switched off 140K PPD a while ago and only kept 10K PPD runnnig to keep my username active and ticking over. This move was for a few reasons:

- Lack of a proper place to run the hardware. The rigs were heating my workshop up to 34 degrees on a warm day and it was unbearable.
    - Lack of money to run them. £600+ electricity bills are no fun, and my mainly GPU farm was costing a bomb to run, so I decided to sell up and move to more powerful CPUs for more efficient bigadv folding.
    - The network project (which is linked in my sig) is a much more important use of my time and funds at the moment, as it is directly related to the growth of my business in the next 12-18 months. Basically I'm looking at the bigger picture. If I get things like that sorted out and off the ground now, I will be able to afford to run much more folding gear in the future.

15. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm back! I finally have some decent hardware to get some decent ppd.

I'll be running stuff 24/7 for a little while see help stress test my overclocks and see what ppd I can get.

16. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Just purchased some new hardware for an additional 50k PPD... and will be going 24x7 now as winter is on route and its already getting cold here.

17. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm pushing out just short of 30,000PPD

I'm thinking about creating a virtual linux machine to up that a bit. I need a virtual linux machine anyway for uni work.

18. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Back home again, still pretty warm, but I'll turn on 100,000PPD see how hot it gets, won't kick in the full 350,000PPD till winter starts.

19. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

What rigs have you got to produce that much?

20. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Click on the link in my .sig :D