1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA: Physical media still has a future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2011.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Try living on a connection that has a MONTHLY10 GB cap and see if you still want disks.

2. mattbailey

mattbailey What's a Dremel?

Join orange broadband. Unlimited downloads, no fair use policy. :thumb:

3. walle

walle Minimodder

There is value in physical media, you OWN what you have bought and paid for. You always have access to it, and at any given time.

This is not the case with electronically stored information that you buy.

You will ONLY have access to IT on someone else terms.

4. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

This doesn't apply to PC games at all.

This does.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Announcements like these makes me doubt whether the company in question has any.

6. walle

walle Minimodder

Unless I am misunderstanding you and / or the role of physical media, both apply, surely.

7. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

There are no facts there is only opinion.

For some yes direct download is easy, but for those with piss pore connections its probably quicker to order it off amazon with super saver economy delivery than it is to download a game!

I too like having a physical of a game/dvd/cd makes it more real, gives it substance not to mention quality issues with digital downloads...(not so much for games but think how many times you have waited 10 hours for a client to download only to have a corrupt file at the end of it *Rage*)

8. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Physical PC games nowadays are just for show, all you need is the key in the box and you can play.

Just because you have a copy in your hand doesn't mean you own the game any more than a copy from Steam.

walle likes this.
  9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

This is the only problem for me. I link all my games to steam where possible anyway and would just use this if my Internet connection allowed it. And the fact that parents/relatives give me physical copies for bday and Xmas :)

10. walle

walle Minimodder

That's true, for some reason it slipped my mind completely. Thank you for pointing it out.

Cheers. :)

11. xinaes

xinaes What's a Dremel?

yeah, if only we were in the Sudan, eh?

12. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

This is true, there are those tax-loophole savings to be had if you're willing to wait for shipping from Guernsey/Jersey - sadly though, it can be a case of waiting, all the while your co-workers revealing all the juicy titbits, and announcing the best features/parts of the game you've still yet to play!

You've hit the nail on the head! There are Blockbusters and independent game stores all around me, I've got Waitrose, Sainsbury, Tesco, Co-op, Somerfield, Asda, and Morrisons all here within a mile of arms reach, but each only stocks console games. Only Game, and the larger HMVs bother stocking the games for PC, and they unfortunately require some travelling.

Haha, well, perhaps it's more appropriate I say that our internet is appalling given the countries 'developed' status. *grumbles some more*

TSB

13. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Plenty of companies will get the game to you before the release date.

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Lies! Or at least back when I was with them it was lies, their "unlimited" package was only up to an average of 60GB in 2 months, which is ridiculous by any means.

15. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

At least EA can't delete my DVD...

16. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Physical media will always have a place.

Particularly while ISPs seem to think that 10GB/month is generous, or that "unlimited" can mean "~3GB/day then we throttle you like someone who likes auto-erotic asphyxiation".

Bede likes this.
  17. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

Well, you're obviously lucky or wealthy enough to afford that aren't you? :sigh:

As has been said, many of us don't have that privelige. If I'm bored after 6pm, I certainly won't go and spend 30 quid to entertain myself, when I could do that for free using the games I already have ^^

18. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

I would always choose software on physical media rather than digital, because if I ever have a hard drive fail then I know I will always have my software on a disk so I wouldn't have to mess around downloading it from the manufacturers website again :)

19. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, but your first reply is so pathetic, I almost want to vomit. Learn to wait some time for things, just because your "friends" are all flashing how far they've got in the latest CoD campaign in your face, doesn't mean you should feel a desire to get the bloody game faster. To be frank, I'd focus on getting some better friends ^^
    I happily wait for an extra week by using free delivery from online sites, as do the majority of financially conscious, competent people.
    Spose when you have, what was it you said, 50Mb/sec DL, speed comes before cost on the list of priorities, but don't expect most people to follow your rich git view.

As the guy sad, have you ever tried Amazon?...

20. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

^ Calm down comrade

Tags: Add Tags