1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Acceptable Error Range for Temperature Sensors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rai, 4 Sep 2011.

1. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

I have a water cooling loop with a temperature sensor placed on the bottom of the radiator. When idling / under low usage, the temperature on the sensor reads 30 degrees C. However, when I view the CPU temperature from the on board sensor, it reads 40 degrees C.

Is this an acceptable / normal difference?

Note: The water cooling loop is a single 120 mm radiator, CPU water block, and pump / reservoir.

What temperature differences have other people observed in their systems?

:confused:

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Trust the internal hardware sensor first. A program like Real Temp is really good and idling around 40 is normal when reading from the motherboard sensors. The actual temperature via Real Temp is around 10 degrees less in my case with an i5 2500K.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Calibrate any sensors with a known accurate one before fitting that way you can quickly add/subtract the difference to get a reasonably accurate reading.

If you've got the sensor on the outside of the rad then it's pretty pointless and will give you a rough idea of the temp around the rad. The most useful sensor I have is the one that reads the water temp as it quickly gives an indication of any problems.

CPU sensors can be reasonably accurate but it depends on the CPU. The Bloomfield sensors are fairly good but the Gulftown ones are crap at lower temps.

4. Rai

Rai What's a Dremel?

I know that the sensor placement is not great. However, when building I ran into a time constraint and did not have a chance to order fittings to setup an inline temperature sensor. Perhaps I will do that when I have more time.

Do you know what the CPU sensors on the Sandy bridge platform are like?

Thanks for the input. :)

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!