1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking BSOD while gaming :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amppatel, 7 Sep 2011.

1. amppatel

amppatel What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

I have overclocked my i5 to 4.2GHz and used intel burn test (on high for quite long) and it passes - I also did prime95 and it also passed on that. While doing every day computing its fine, but when I run need for speed underground (get to test the integrated graphics) - it plays for about 20 mins, but then I get a BSOD - I can't seem to find the codes on it (is there a way to record the error codes?) I don't get whats going on, any help would be great.

Specs:
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.2Ghz (using integrated graphics)
    ASUS P8Z68-v
    G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X (2x4GB)
    OCZ 750W PSU

2. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

what version of windows are you using? you can view the event log and get a BC (bug check) code from there, also there is a setting somewhere that stops the computer from automatically rebooting after a BSOD. That way you can check what the stop error is related to directly.

otherwise get this

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

it will help you narrow that down. As to what is causing it i wouldnt know, sometimes its obvious as to what has happened and sometimes not. As i recall if the BCcode ends 124, or 101 that is a clock error (bad oc).

I know very little about BCcodes etc but im sure someone else on here will be more than willing to help.

oh yes the and all the info is stored in ..windows/minidump and is a DMP file

3. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Fairly old game, is it patched to the latest update? Make sure you have the latest intel video driver, perhaps check internets for some kind of bug or known flaw that crashes you out, it looks to me that the system should otherwise be stable.

4. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Simplest way is to turn the clock speed back down and see if that solves the problem. If the problem has only appeared after you overclocked then overclocking is the most obvious cause.