1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Compact HTPC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 2 Sep 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Thanks for the tips :). From your experience, how are temps ? Do you think I could keep a i3 2100T cool ?

Anyway, very nice job with your HFX :thumb:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The CPU is a Pentium Mobile Core Duo T2700 which is rated at 31W. Its temperatures are around the 34C mark.

The HFX heatpipes supposedly can shift up to about 25W each. The whole block/pipe arrangement certainly should manage a regular Pentium Core 2 Duo at 65W.

3. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks Nexxo for those precious informations.

I made an attempt with another volume knob style and wood only BR drive slot

[​IMG]

4. Nexxo

Very tasty. I love old skool retro stereo sets with big knobs and analogue VU meters.

Another thing by the way: the plexi bit of the Borg cube that accommodates the screws by which it is mounted to the mobo tends to flex quite a bit. I think it is worth considering making your own of 5mm aluminium.

5. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks, so do I :). I saw nice VU meters on eBay, but I'm still hesitating on the backlight color : blue (like marrantz vintage amp) or yellow/orange.

Good to know, thanks for the tips :thumb:.

Now it's time to hunt for pieces and make sure everything fits it's dedicated enclosure.

Check list of things to be found :

- DAC circuit
    - Preamp circuit
    - DAC + Preamp PSU
    - VU meter control circuit
    - 2x analog VU meters
    - 1 BIG aluminium or wood knob
    - 2x single channel power amp circuit + PSU
    - 12x decoupling feet
    - 6x Aluminium anodized rad
    - 1x VFD graphic dlisplay

That will be a nice, funny and instructive hunt :D :dremel:

6. GuilleAcoustic

Little out of topic, but I was searching for vintage analog vu meter and I found this :

[​IMG]

http://www.asciimation.co.nz/bb/2010/11/30/a-steam-punk-record-player

this is a vinyl player powered by .... a steam motor :D

and this VU meter style clock

[​IMG]

and here is the how to build the VU meter clock (aka clock-meter) http://digital-diy.com/Swordfish-Completed-Projects/andys-geeky-clock.html

.... and since I found what I was searching for, here is where you can buy vintage analog VU meters :

http://www.sifam.com/meterCategory.asp?cat=Vintage

[​IMG][​IMG]

Stay tuned :dremel:

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  7. GuilleAcoustic

Hi there,

well my researches made me realise something that I forgot to take into account .... audio grade capacity are HUGE !

I wanted to use this power amp shcmetic from Jean-Marc PLANTEFEVE

[​IMG]

For those interested in audio stuff, here is its website (it is in french, but google can translate it :))

http://jm.plantefeve.pagesperso-orange.fr/index.html

This is a 8W single ended class A mosfet amp (require a speaker with an efficiency of at least 96db and does not heat to much due to the limited output wattage ... around 35°C).

A single 22000µF capa mesures 35mm (diam) x 50mm (L) and I need 4 of them for the sole PSU (plus 2 chokes and a R-Core transformer). The amplifier circuit by itself it pretty small due to the reduced number of component (which is a very good thing).

All this force me to rethink the design of the amp enclosures ... I'm gonna make 2 single ended monolithic blocs since I want to keep this small footprint.

Seams like a fate, but everything I design ends as a minimalits monolith object :lol:

8. Nexxo

Nice find!

I know that feeling... :D

9. GuilleAcoustic

I've emailed Sifam and as expected they do not sell small quantities of their product.

They gave me an address in UK where you can find them

http://www.canford.co.uk/Browse/21372

Isn't it :hehe: ... maybe it is for good :blush:

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Minimalistic is what I'm doing in everything design-related. Be it cases, furniture or web-design... whatever. I'm one of those old Bauhaus fans who believe in: form follows function.
    Additionally, I hate it when the shape or colour distracts too much and makes something crowded, noisy etc.

Anyways...

I'd still adjust the groove of the frontplate with the slot of the BD-drive just to make it even cleaner there.

And did you notice that the current model has a clown face? :hehe:

[​IMG]

11. GuilleAcoustic

Exactly, just like a remote with hundred's of buttons, with most of them that will never be pressed or only once.

I'm working on it, it's just a pain in the arsh with SU to make complexe curvy shapes. Will probably switch to a decent moddeling software since I'm not using moddels from the collection.

You just killed my groove :D

12. GuilleAcoustic

Here is the power amp rev 2.0 :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And next to the speaker they will be powering :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an uncommon enclosure for an amp but I found it matches who I am : an uncommon man :D. It looks like a book and has the size of a dictionnary. This is a single ended (meaning 1 amp per speaker) class A (25% efficiency but high sound quality). It will power a 2 ways floostander (fostex FE208EZ mounted in its recommanded back loaded horn + fostex T925 super tweeter).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I have the power amp matchnig its innard components size ... I have to do the same with the pre-amp.

Hope you like the way it is evolving. Stay tuned :dremel:

EDIT :

While I'm thinking of it, here is a simulation of what it would looks like with the speakers and a 61" TV

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Sep 2011
  13. GuilleAcoustic

While hunting for everything I need, I found something interesting and though it would be nice to share it with everyone.

In fact, this is a printable film that can be then transfered to almost any material (metal, glass, wood, ceramic, leather, etc...).

Just make your design, print it with lazer or inkjet printer (B&W or color) directly on the film, place it it the oven and then in cold water. Then place the film on the panel.

Here are some example of the final render (they are not mine, it comes from homecinema-fr forum) :

[​IMG]
    Transfered on brushed aluminium

[​IMG]
    Transfered on brass

[​IMG]
    Transfered on wood

[​IMG]
    Transfered in color on metal

[​IMG]
    Transfered on a CD

The film is called Lazertran and can be bought directly on its manufacturer site : lazertran

Here is a tutorial (lazertran is at the bottom, but you can see other methods) : Front panel design

Hope it will help :dremel:

Last edited: 9 Sep 2011
    Cheapskate and Editor22 like this.
  14. Nexxo

OMFG that's brilliant! :eeek:

15. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks Nexxo :p. I got almost all part listed and I bought myself some books on how to work with wood (assembling technics, carving, etc.).

The speakers will need around 500 hours to break-in so I'll put them in the garage with a little amp for some continuous play until they are ready to sing. It will leave time to make the cabinets and the 2 mono bloc amps.

I'm now searching for a place to lazer/water cut aluminium close to where I live.

16. GuilleAcoustic

I'm hesitating on the loudspeakers. I've listened to a new cabinet using tha same drivers (Fostex 20cm fullrange + Fostex super tweeter) and they sounded so great too.

The enclosure is a Karlson K12 (a.k.a. Karlsonette)

[​IMG]

It has a retro looking that is tempting me (plus they are easier too build and require less wood).

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hmm.... I don't know about those "stylish" speakers tbh. My favourites are still the Visaton Classic 200 or the Visaton Vox 200 which I'm unfortunately lacking the needed cash for so far and the reason why I only sport the much cheaper Visaton Clou.

18. GuilleAcoustic

Those DIY speaker are very nice, trust me. The sound is very opened, clear, not aggresive. You can hear a lot of details.

I wanted to build the Supravox open baffle, but it is worth 1600€ for the drivers ... you have to add the wood, veneer, componants for the filter (that can cold a lot), cables, etc.

Those fostex are some nice speakers. The FE206En (200mm - 96db - full range) costs 110€. You can run them without any tweeter, but I'll add a super tweeter.

Edit:

They aren't only stylish. The design has a real accoustic purpose. Those drivers have a low Qts (thiele and small parameter) meaning they are best suited for horn type cabinet. the wings on the second cabinet are on fact exponencial wave guides, their size and shape are important and depends on the driver properties.

I'll explain this in a longer post, I'm on my phone and it is not very convenient. for long writing

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  19. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Man, this is an awesome design. I loved the chassis and passive cooling design, and the hardware you choose it's amazing. I'm impressed to see how technology evolved so much in months. Hope you get your project finished as you designed it. It's a great and good looking idea. Good luck ;)

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not too fond of the last design. It's too easy to block the sound from a woofer. I would prefer something a little more omnidirectional.
    -The upwards angle is good, though. Get the sound off the floor.