1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks High Street or Internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfticket, 30 Sep 2011.

1. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm buying an Asus U46SV and basically it's £700 on the high street (Comet) and £660-ish online (probably Ballicom or Kikatek).

Do people think it's worth spending the extra £40 for the security/piece of mind of buying it from a brick and mortar shop?

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Dont think it matter so much tbh, the only thing that matters in this price difference is the warantee offered, id rather pay the extra if comet do a better guarentee and better customer service.

wolfticket likes this.
  3. rv88uk

rv88uk What's a Dremel?

You could always go into comet and say you've seen the laptop for 'x amount' online, and see if they'll make a deal. You might not get money off but they may throw in a freebie (laptop bag or something), if they say no you've lost nothing.

wolfticket likes this.
  4. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Given some reported High Street experiences that doesn't seem too likely.

Given the choice, I'd advise buying online for one simple reason - the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 which give you the legal right to return goods for any reason within 7 days of receipt (you have to return them in "as new" condition, or as close to it as possible and you have to pay for postage/delivery).

So if you find a problem or just decide you plain don't like it, you have a legal right of redress as long as you act soon enough. Few brick-and-mortar stores offer a similar level of service - and even then it is a choice on their part, not an obligation (so subject to their terms and conditions which would likely be more restrictive).

(if any Eurosceptics are reading this, that legislation came from an EU directive so you can stuff your dogma about Europe harming the consumer where the sun doesn't shine).

wolfticket likes this.
  5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Well said AstralWanderer! You can actually try out the laptop under the Distance Selling Regulations as it is the express purpose of this legislation to allow consumers to try goods that are quite literally out of reach at the time of purchase! Also, buy this laptop using a credit card because it offers protection for your money, especially true when spending £100 or over under Section 75. Should anything go wrong with the goods the credit card company is equally liable with the seller of the goods! I've used it on a few occasions and the credit card company managed to motivate the seller to offer a full refund every time.

wolfticket likes this.
  6. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

So they do one good thing and we are meant to ignore the rest of the **** that they try to force down our necks?

Yeah right.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Cheers for the advice.
    I'm pretty sure I'm gonna save the £40 and order it online with a credit card. The 7 day testing period is pretty good. I guess if it has a couple of really prominent dead pixels I can send it back too.

Just one more question: Like I said there are a few online retailers that have it at around the same price. There are several with excellent feedback, it's just I've never used any of them before.
    [​IMG]
    (Google Product Search)
    Any advice on which one to pick?
    Not bothered about £10 either way for a company with a better rep.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns