1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Stalker 2 has always online drm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by spectre456, 8 Oct 2011.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Reason

Maybe it's too early to judge but alarms are going off in my head.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

broken link...

3. spectre456

Fixed. Sorry for the fail

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Another game to lose sales then.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I read the title and automatically thought of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but not for the same reason.

edit: This makes no sense now the title changed.:(

Last edited: 9 Oct 2011
  6. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

This sounds even worse than 'just' a constant connection DRM check - I have poor broadband speed, only 3mb, I often play single player games while downloading, but with this system it would interfere with the game...

Never really got into the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, but I hope this isn't the way things are going..

7. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Dammnit. I just posted a thread about this, missing this thread completely.

Might as well rant here too:

I wont argue that this DRM is a direct result of piracy. But I will argue that it does very little to actually address piracy, and this excuse that (in the case of Stalker 2) it will act as some kind of cloud-esque content delivery system is simply tacked-on ******** that, given the companies track record for stability in their products, will most likely be an atrocious disaster.

This is worse than the fact that we do not buy a copy of a game, rather we buy a license to play the game and do not own it. This is buying PART of a game and being at the mercy of the developer for the rest of it.

I'll make the arguement that everyone makes when it comes to light that alway-on DRM is being used: What happens in 3/5/10 years time when the company wants to save a little cash and decides to switch their servers off?

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I love the Stalker games but this is too much.

I'll be buying it and then finding a crack that allows me to play offline.

9. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

when i read the title in my rss reader i though: Oh some *****'s whining instead of going to the doctor again. And then i click the link and decide that this game shall be downloaded illegally out of spite.

10. spectre456

Lol. I should really change that threat title.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I wonder if there'll be a lot of attacks from behind in this stalker game.. I might pick it up just for that!

12. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

oh it wasn't meant like that mate :)

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have banged on about this before, but...

With the advent of 'technology proving' services such as on-live and the (albeit slow) improvement in broadband connection speeds I think the days of actually having permanent content on a PC (or console) be that either on plastic disk or download to HDD are numbered. I can also see that instead of just a price for a game there will be subscriptions to use the game on an ongoing basis as well as a probable set-up cost.

The publishers will say that this is to prevent piracy, but the bigger motive is that an on-going subscription with extra DLC has a much better profit potential.

I am not saying I would agree with this, as I would rather own a copy of any game, but I can't see any other way in which it is going to go. Some people will vote with their wallets and stop playing games, but I think that there will be significantly more that don't.

14. spectre456

No offense taken. The title should have been more informative now that i think about it. The more fans who know about this and bitch then the more likely GSC will rethink this gremlin of an idea for DRM.

I am really scared at how this game will turn out. All the concessions they may make to gameplay and weapon handling for console players that will probably get ported to the PC. Two weapon system, no tiled inventory, slow moving monsters, dumb AI, smaller playzones etc. These are all realistic concessions that can happen but i'll hold on for more info before i judge too much.

I have nothing against consoles but it pains me to look back and see so many great games that started on PC and got a multi-platform sequel(s) that barely improves on it's predecessor.

I really hope that Stalker doesn't go the way of Crysis, Fear and Farcry to name just a few.

15. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Quick question - what happens to your game if you happen to lose your internet connection momentarily?

I'm guessing you're screwed - or are always-on DRM games cleverer than that?

16. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

What happens in 2 years after game is out and you want to play it again only to find out they have pulled the content servers down as there not making any money of the game anymore. This is a very bad idea

Sent from Bittech Android app

17. Earthmonger

Earthmonger Gnarled Old Tree

I live in the boonies of Norway. ADSL is all that's available, and it's slow as Hell. What do I do if I want to play this? Move to the city? Pfft. I'll just pass on it.

I hate how "piracy" hurts legit gamers, and the developers don't even care.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I was going to say, nice idea in theory - less download to get playing in the first place - but in reality for those who share a connection or have crap connections, it's a total pain every-****ing-time you want to play it. Spose that also means gaming laptops are a no-go too: I'm on a train aaand ****..

Tbh this won't bother me, Steam is always on in the background anyway, but I do feel for people that can't change their situation.

Someone will just play the whole game, cache all the data and localize it with a crack. They do it because it's a challenge.

More worryingly:

Anyone want to put money down on a 'hardcore' RTS getting Crysis 2 syndrome?

19. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I'm just playing through CoP for the first proper time (reached Pripyat - yay!), and am only very slightly disappointed with this news. They're trying to make it sound as if there'll be more content than originally (maybe everything is voice-acted, rather than just read, but they'll serve this kind of data, as it'll make the game huge which could be difficult if they have to fit it onto a DVD), and new quests and such will be added in chronological order, and only after certain events (making it a kind of single player MMO - IE: what others have done can affect the game world?).

I suspect however, it'll just be always-online DRM that will be absolutely terrible, and prevent a great many PC sales, or loads will pirate it as a "f*** you" gesture, at which point they'll moan about PC piracy/the market being too small and become console exclusive.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well alternatively you could buy the xbox version.

*runs away*