1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage M4 SSD on Asus P6X58D-E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugste81, 18 Oct 2011.

1. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Sorry if this has been done to death already.

I'm thinking of getting a Crucial M4 SSD. If I were to plug it into a normal Intel Sata 2 port it would bottle neck the Performance. In which case I could plug it into the Marvell controlled Sata 3 port. I have heard that this can cause long boot up times?

1st off is this the case and 2nd is there anything else I should know if I were to buy one.

Thanks

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Crucial M4 SSD is going to be a massive step up whatever it's connected to, be it SATA2 or SATA3!

3. Bugste81

Bugste81 Stephen

Thanks for the quick response. I would like to know I was getting the best performance for my money tho especially as the Storage sizes are much lower than the 1TB drives I'm used to. Which would be the better choice the Sata 2 port or the Marvell Sata 3?

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

Marvell 3 it will fly

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Lots of people bad mouth the Marvell connection but mine has been faultless since day one. I have a Crucial C300 and Crucial M4 linked to both Marvell ports on my ASUS Deluxe and they both fly in real world terms. Got a good deal on both drives so I'm not overly concerned about having the best of the best benchmarks! They simply load games very very fast.

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Here you go, I was looking at this just before I got my ssd, took me ages to find but I knew it existed. You should see the difference and that it is generally better than the standard ports.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

+1 I had a C300 128GB briefly with my P6X58D-E and I tried it both on SATA2 and SATA3, and tbh I simply could not tell the difference.

Can't say I cared much about boot times; as Blogins says, once you get into Windows an SSD is just insanely fast.

8. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well adding an SSD drive once I have been paid and can account for the money I'm starting to save.

My girlfriend will kill me if I eat into the money I should be saving just to add an SSD amongst other things.

Hopefully I will be buying a house in 12 months time!

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just carefully monitor her spending habits for a pre-emptive strike before she realises you bought an SSD!

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well this is me saving for my own house, she already has hers there is an age gap and whilst we have been together for several months we arent jumping into moving in together. Plus she likes her space. So hell we may be together for years but still live in our own homes.

Oh and she spends money on important things like a new alternater for her car the other day!