1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning The GuilleAcoustic design thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by GuilleAcoustic, 23 Mar 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I was thinkink of an arduino-nano + servo motor shield. The whole circuit powered via USB (one of the mobo internal header)

Edit : Here is what the controlboard would look like (and an example of arduino build http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/StepperUnipolar)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Oct 2011
  2. GuilleAcoustic

I just resolved the position detection problem. I found a linear magnetic potentiometer. Its value depends on the position of a magnet, which one will be attached to the mobile part.

[​IMG]

I can then set the motor speed regarding to the pot value (the sensor mesures 21cm and has a 10Kohms resistance).

Here is the Arduino Nano :

[​IMG]

and the DC motor shield (it can power/control 2 servo-motors up to 2A) :

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's a decent idea, working with those three parts and an attached servo-motor. Compact, small and very robust in terms of hardware.

4. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks :D. I was thinking of that kind of servo-motor : http://en.nanotec.com/linearactuatingdrive_41.html

[​IMG]

Nanotec's linear motors have a threaded axis, thus transforming rotation into translation with not much effort :D.

I have to find one with the good length.

EDIT: I'll definitly consider Nanotec products. They do have stepper motors on which you attach a threaded spinddle and a threaded nut. Accurate linear positioning and easy to build.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2011
  5. GuilleAcoustic

Hi guys,

here are my tonights experiments. I finaly tested sketchyphysics (a physic simulation plugin for SU) to test wether or not my in-dash flip-up motorized LCD mechanism was good or not.

Good news, it works very well :D. Here is a quick animation made with SU + Sketchyphysic

The model is really basic and I have to refine everything now, but it works. The mechanism resides in a single linear actuator that push / pull a caddy. The LCD has a hinge which follow a path simply milled inside a acrylumimetalsheetofpaper-orwathevercoulditbe :lol:

The actuator will be controlled by a Arduino nano module (using only 4 pins), the speed will be controlled thanks to a magnetic linear potentiometer and a magnet attached to the LCD caddy.

Time to design the WHOLE mechanism (caddy + everything) and to order an arduino kit to start experimenting and coding.

Hope you like it :thumb:

Stay tuned :dremel:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
  6. GuilleAcoustic

Hi there,

I was thinking about something. I'll have an unused PCIe connector on this lovely Intel board. Since this build will be oriented for lab use (developpement, robotics, audiophile electronic, etc.) and I thought a low profile PCIe DAQ (DAta acQuisition) card would be better than a USB oscilloscope.

I'm used to work with National Instrument PXI chassis and their DAQ card, but they are far too expensive for me.

I took a look at this card : http://www.vecow.com/product-info.php?id=28

[​IMG]

I requested a price from vecow but I'm waiting for them to reply. Does anyone of you work with DAQ card ? Could you advise me an affordable one ? I'm mostly looking at analog inputs. Analog outputs could be nice to generate signals, but isn't mandatory. Digital input can be routed on analog ones and then been software treated.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Just out of curiosity...

What the hell are you doing there at home that requires that kind of equipment?

8. GuilleAcoustic

Robotics and audio amp. I was working in real-time embedded computing before I switched for a new job. My job was to developp the software driving High speedway train, so massive use of DAQ card.

I used my free time to developp an oscilloscope software around National Instrument using OpenGL to display everything using the gpu.

I need an oscilloscope for my audio amp build, and it costs as much as an entry-level DAQ card (and tbh I only need 2 analog channels with edge triggering).

I'm also starting a project with a friend using arduino (a drone, but bigger than the parrot one, it can lift 5kg). It can already take off, land and lift 5Kg, have to work on the stabilization while in motion (hard to manage the 4 rotors).

Plus I'm sharing the "house" computer with my wife .... I'd really like to have my own one :D when she's doing girl stuff (facebook, Dr WHO forum, peoples, etc. :lol:)

Edit : and to be honest, I miss industrial computing, even of I really love my new job.

Edit2 : I'm looking for a DAQ card around 200/300 euros, do not need 32 analog inputs :lol:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
  9. aupablito

aupablito What's a Dremel?

GuilleAcoustic - That is some amazing rendering work, truly beautiful.

GuilleAcoustic likes this.
  10. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot, but they are just Sketchup 2D export (mostly screenshot with simple shadows and anti-aliasing). But I appreciate a lot your compliment :D

11. GuilleAcoustic

Since I can barely sleep due to an overactive brain ... here is another thing I had in mind. This could be a compromise between gaming rig and workstation.

It is based on a half-SSI form factor dual CPU board (like Asus or Tyan ones). It can house 2x Opteron 61xx series or 2x Xeon 56xx series. It has 6 SATA 3.0Gbps, 5 USB2.0 (including 1 onboard USB), 3 Gigabit LAN and 1 PCIe.

[​IMG]

Here is the innards layout (including a 480mm rad with 8 fans in push/pull configuration

[​IMG]

And now my firsts attemps at dressing it :

[​IMG]
    (dark theme with horizontal blades)

[​IMG]
    (light theme with horizontal blades)

[​IMG]
    (light theme with vertical blades)

There's still a lot of work ahead to refine the design, but this is a conceptual case to build a reduced foot-print rig with dual 12-cores / 12-threads Opteron or dual 6-cores / 12-threads Xeon and a gaming GPU (here a HD5870, since this is what I own :D).

Hope you like the concept :thumb:. I had several idea around those monolithic designs and I'm feeling like creating the Monolith family (each with a dedicated purpose). Stay tuned to see them side by side :lol:

Last edited: 21 Oct 2011
  12. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I love the monolith case designs and this one is fantastic with the perfect board!

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

ooh. I like that setup. Kinda reminds me of Slipperyskip's Unidyne.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

OMG! :eeek: Those motherboards exist?!? That is perfect for the designs I've been playing with!

15. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot. I really like slik, thin, vertical designs. I have around 10 monolith designs cooking. I'll show them a little later. I just can say that it goes from the very compact desktop monolith up to the human sized one. They will all have a dedicated purpose (monolith@work, gaming monolith, render farm, entertainment center ... maybe the craziest one). I'm also thinking about having them manufactured ... but that's another episode :thumb:

Thanks mate. I do not know that one, I'll take a look.

As far as I'm aware (and I spent quite a few hours searching the web), only Tyan and Asus make such boards.

Dual Xeon 5500 series boards :

Tyan S7018 : http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=655&SKU=600000056

Asus Z8NH-D12 : http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/Z8NHD12/

Dual Xeon 5600 series boards :

Asus Z8PH-D12/IFB : http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/Z8PHD12IFB/#overview

Dual Opteron 6100 series boards :

Asus KGNH-D16 : http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/KGNHD16/

I mention the basic boards only. Asus propose the same board with a InfiniBand connector which cost the same price than the boards.

InfiniBand (40Gb/s) boards :

Asus Z8PH-D12 SE/QDR : http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/Z8PHD12_SEQDR/

Asus KGNH-D16 : http://www.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/KGNHD16/

I found them for around 350€ ... but are not very easy to find. Some of the Asus ones are discontinued, but can still be found. I really fell in love with those uncommon boards and I'd like to give them a try (if the budget is here of course :wallbash: ... at least design and dreams are free and safe :lol:).

Last edited: 22 Oct 2011
  16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

17. GuilleAcoustic

I love this shop (ldlc), this is where I buy all my parts. sadly ldlc-pro is for professional (you should have a corporate serial). Their price then exclude vat. Ldlc is for end user and have the exect same products, just 19% more expensive. The tyan retails at 339€ for end user at ldlc.com ... this is a good price me think.

18. asura

asura jack of all trades

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Didn't see this problem as I've got a corporate ID. But still it's the best price I could find within some 30 minutes.

They don't have the half-SSI formfactor available, which we're searching for tho.

20. GuilleAcoustic

It's ok, and very thanks for having search. Even at 339€ it isn't expensive compared to some more "mainstream" x58 boards like said extreme range, gigabyte ud7, etc

I thought they didn't, but I checked some of their proprietary size and they offer similar products

www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTG-DF.cfm

WWW.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTT-IBQF.cfm

www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTT-IBQ.cfm

www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTT-IBXF.cfm