1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Interesting although I am not sure I want to potentially mess up WoT by installing those.

2. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

On the T29, shoot anywhere but the leading or trailing edge of the tracks on the hull. For the turret shoot the bunny ears from the front, or anywhere on the back or sides.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Sorry, I actually meant the T-59, that one annoys me because it is usually invisible to my VK3601 (H) or my Tiger.

I see that you can hit it in the middle of the bulkhead behind the tracks with a good chance of killing a crew member.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I see that and raise you the KV derp gun, 91% crew, reload time 27.8 seconds lol

Personally I never used the 105 on the Hetzer. The 7.5cm PaK 39 bL/48 was what i always had. I'll always go for penetration if possible and the rate of fire is nice and fast :) Even with the average 110 damage you can have a KV dead before he can reload the derp gun and it's also much MUCH more accurate.

Each to their own though, the 105 does have that lovely 'click.........BOOOOOM......next target' feel lol

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

One more thing about the mediums...

When you finally get enough XP and credits to get a heavy tank, hang on to your mediums for a bit. When you first get a heavy, you won't have any XP to upgrade tracks, engine, turret or gun so you are basically a bit fat (slow) sitting duck for the higher tier heavies you will come up against.

Repairing a knocked out heavy, especially if you are knocked out early in a match before you can get any kills (i.e. when you are arty bait), will need a load more credit than mediums do when repairing. That coupled with the increased ammo reload costs can put you into negative credit territory quickly.

Hanging onto the mediums allows you to build up enough credit to deal with this until you can upgrade your heavy.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2011
  8. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I saw him too and yes it was me I am afraid that shot him. :(

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

^^ I am disappoint. :nono:

10. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Without wanting to come across too heavy, try learning where to hit tanks? Hit-zone skins are no better than having a wallhack or aimbot on an FPS in my view. Cheating is cheating.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

There's been a ton of discussion about hitbox skins on the official forums abut whether it's cheating or not. Officially it's not deemed to be cheating but personally i can't help but feel it is in a way. Don't forget though, you still have to actually hit that spot which isn't always an exact science.

One suggestion I made in the suggestion forums is to keep the penetrating hits showing on your wreck after being killed. That way when dead you can move the camera around and educate yourself 'Oooh right, so THAT is where they took out my engine and radio man. Now i know where to hit on a XYZ tank in future.' To me that would allow for learning where these things are but by you're own actions via the game, not an external third-party mod.

12. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

How do you learn where to hit tanks without these skins? Is there some resource that says hitting the side of an IS's turret will do more damage than the front or rear?

This is not cheating. This is education.

13. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Don't you learn by experience?
    Some places are obvious, if you hit them at the front or rear wheel you could de-track them. Rear or side is always a good choice.

I personally would not use hit box skins.

14. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

You learn from experience. Here is some of the things I learned in my 11 month (I will just take the tanks that people have the biggest issues with):

T29
    When upgraded with new turret this thing is almost imposible to shoot trough.
    But, if you aim for the two squares on the sides of the turret you will deal FULL damage from your shell. You can also see if you can hit the commander hatch, but the squares are bigger

Almost ALL german tanks
    Commander hatch on the top of the turret is HUGE and hit there, and you will deal FULL damage. Other than that, lower hull.

KV-5
    I hear a lot of people saying that this tank is imposible to shoot trough. Aim for the little turret in the front, and you will deal FULL damage. I took out a kv-5 in my pershing the other day from 100 percent this way.

T95+T28
    These tanks are massive, but have a HUGE weakspot in the commander hatch on top. Hit there - full damage.

Maus
    Between the tracks in the front, there is a little square plate. Hit there, and you are more likely to penetrate.

E-100
    The hair band on top (the long beam) is a weakspot that will give you an easy penetrating hit

is-7
    Hit the place in the front where the upper and lower armour meets to penetrate.

IS-4
    Driver hatch directly in the front - MASSIVE weakspot. Hit there, and you can take it out with ease. I did 923 DMG there with my e-100 the other day, with one shot.

T-54
    If you can get a good shot in on the side of the turret, you are likely to hit ammo rack and explode the tank.

Other than this, just use general tactics.
    Detrack tanks so arty or people behind you can take them out.
    Kill one tank at a time.
    When scouting, dont shoot from bushes - it will blow your camo.
    When driving german tanks, remember to angle your armor.
    When driving russian tanks, remember NOT to angle your armor.
    When driving US tanks, remember to only let your turret be visible.

Etc, etc, etc:)

EDIT:

Oh, and about hitbox skins.

DONT USE THEM.
    Why?

Let me tell you:) The tanks are made up of 3d models, and when you shoot at the tank, and think that "yay, I shot at the ammorack zone" You might have shot at an angle, and completely miss the ammorack. This is because the skins really only works when shooting at 90 degrees in both the x and z plane:)

15. Marvin-HHGTTG

These +1

Use your own experience - how do you think people make the hit box skins?

In general though, all tanks are penetrable, it's a case of your positioning. Ferdis are notoriously hard to damage at the front, so get around the sides or rear - they take forever to turn around, by which point you've either dealt tons of damage, or have blocked them from turning. The side/rear armour is only 80mm, so easier to penetrate than the 200mm front.

The game is all about positioning. If it was a simple "target in sights, shoot, reload, shoot, reload, shoot, target is dead" it would be boring as hell. The whole point is manoeuvring to gain an advantage. If the way is blocked by a single Ferdi - rush it, it hasn't got a chance. Afraid of a large gribbly tank? None of them has a good rate of fire, so you can easily attack en masse and take them out from the sides or rear. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but resorting to hitbox skins is just poor.

16. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Quite often I'm too het up in the battle to sit back and think about where I've hit someone to realise what's good and what's not. However some places are obvious as you say - a lot of the higher-tier german tanks have a big cicle on the back of the turret that just screams "shoot me" but others are still a mystery to me.

For example, how do so many people take out my gun so easily?

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

All true. The Maus in particular has a lovely little weak spot i found by chance. Between the tracks at the rear as low as possible. Hit that and chances are he'll be burning til sunday :)

I've learned where somethings are but it is kinda tricky to actually take a look whilst playing. I have, on occasion though actually screenied myself after getting ammo racked or burned up from a shot so i can see where i was penetrated.

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Side of the turret, just to the side of the mantle, almost guaranteed to take out a gun or gunner If it's a flatter fronted turret then just to the side of the mantle.

19. Marvin-HHGTTG

In this example, HE shells landing close to you with the gun facing it could easily take your gun out.

In general though, it's obvious where to shoot. The top and bottom of tanks always historically had weaker armour, as are the sides and rear. Any hatches, viewports or cupolas are clearly going to reveal the location of the crew members, and are often weakspots, as are gaps in the gun's mantle.

Look at detailed photos of the vehicles, perhaps in a Jane's book or similar, and you'll see where to shoot.

20. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Slightly confused by this one. The angling on German tanks makes perfect sense, not sure why one shouldn't angle the armour on the Russian tanks?