1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals A subject rarely touched on: mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bitemebad91, 16 Nov 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So you just didn't like the feel? Not sure if it's fair to call a mouse bad because of a personal preference. I absolutely can't stand the MX518, for example, but it's obviously not a bad mouse and is frequently recommended.

I have a RAT 7 and really enjoy it. The customizability let me set it to fit my claw grip quite well. The buttons are all quite light which I also really enjoy, I feel some strain using other mice now. So far (year or more of use) my only complaint is that the grippy rubber pieces get grime stuck in the cross pattern. A buddy in Florida complains of some screws rusting from the extreme humidity but that hasn't happened to me.

2. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

You could fit another keyboard in macros alone

----------------------------
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I also found the software to be awful, not intuitive and a real pain.

4. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I actually forgot about that. Yeah, it wasn't all that great. To be honest I don't even have it installed, never found a need for the profiles or macros on any mouse or keyboard, they're always cool for the first month but stop getting used with time. Now I just use it plug and play with Windows, the 50% speed "sniper" button works just fine, the four preset speeds are spaced a good distance apart by default and you can bind the side buttons in game when you need them. I think they're forward and back by default in a web browser but don't quote me on it.

5. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

I had the mx518 and loved it's performance. It was however was too small for my liking and I was also interested in a wireless mouse. Mice cords aggravate me to no end. I switched to the logitech MX revolution and loved it. Keep in mind I am by no means a gamer. I use don't play games but I do a lot of surfing and have been getting into CAD and loved the logitech......up until last night when SU was throwing a hissy fit and I lost my cool(happens on a rare occasion). Needless to say the mouse is now not usable and I have a new micro-sized motor for my futuremicro rc aircrft build. I was just going to buy a new MX revolution but for the same price, I could buy a new version even though I didn't like the new design one bit.

So I said the hell with it and bought the new R.A.T. 9. I'll let you guys know how I like it in a few weeks.

On a side note, I never changed the settings or messed with any of my mice. Just took them out of the box and used it.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I was just pondering such a dilemma. I guess it depends on how large your hands are. To me, an MX518 is about as small as it should go (which most people consider a large mouse), so my current Kone[+] is just too small for comfort. I can get my thumb, index and middle finger on it, and my ring finger and little finger scrape on the desk. (Basically, the claw-style grip would be impossible for me as my hand covers the whole mouse and rests on the table at the back).

So, I've just bought a Razer Naga (even though I don't play any MMOs, and don't really play RPGs). It's pretty large (at least the same size as the MX518), but crucially has the extra rests on the side. I also considered the Qpad 5K, Mionix Naos 5000 and R.A.T. 7 or 9. In the end, I couldn't justify the cost and potential Phillips Twin-Eye issues for the R.A.T. mice, and the QPad/Mionix didn't have the buttons I yearned for (basically, more than two in easily accessible places). When I found the Naga for £52 on Pixmania including a Razer hard mousemat and mousemat carry bag that sealed the deal, it'll be here tomorrow or Friday :D.

Agreed with others though, test the mice at a Currys or PC World if possible. Last time I went, they had the R.A.T. mice as well as a good selection of Logitech and Razer mice.

Also, I found the Logitech G700 to be uncomfortable (fingers/size problem again), the texture wasn't great, and I had weird pointer-jump issues that made FPS games annoying (basically the finest increments seemed to be about 1-2mm jumps on the screen). This was despite trying plugged in, wireless, 1000Hz, and various DPI vs sensitivity settings. My Kone[+] which replaced it has a far better sensor, but suffers the same comfort issues (besides the texture).

TL, DR: Mice are personal, I didn't like the G700, and being in a similar situation to you, picked the Naga. Go to a local shop that has them to try them out.

7. longweight

Do you use the thumb wheel? I never use the macro buttons on the G700 in game I only use them for desktop stuff.

8. coffinator6

coffinator6 What's a Dremel?

Well, I just got my rat 9 in today and I already hate it. The thing in theory works great but in reality it has 2 major draw back for me. First is the thumb buttons. Mainly the foward and back navigation buttons. With the thumb rest as far foward as possible the foward buttonon the RAT is where my old "back" button used to be on my Logitech MX revolution. I can't just rock my thumb to navigate web pages. next is the palm rest. It needs to be about another 1.5" farther back. I rest my whole hand on a mouse when I use it. With the RAT 9, I can only fit my fingers on the mouse.

other than that I love it. the thumb section needs to be moved foward .75" or the palm pad back 1.5"

with the thumb section all the way foward.
    [​IMG]

with it all the way back.
    [​IMG]

sry for the bad pic. they were taken with my iphone

9. Bitemebad91

Thanks everybody! But I've decided, I ordered the g-510 gaming keyboard and the g-700 gaming mouse and the Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad ( just for the novelty )

Thanks for the advice and information on making my decision

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo

10. longweight

Awesome choice! Let us know what you think.

11. Bitemebad91

I will :)

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

12. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Good decision with the g510 and mouse mat. I have both and I am loving them :).

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Bit of a late reply, but yes I use it from time to time. For games with camera control (RTS, RPGs, MMOs) I rebind zoom in/out to the thumb wheel and use the regular wheel as an extra two buttons. For FPS not as much, haven't found a use for it in BF3 yet and that's my main game lately.

14. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

how is the G700 in BF3/games ?

is there any difference when compared to a wired mouse ?

15. longweight

The G700 is great in games, never noticed any lag at all!

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Im thinking of getting one but people have said that the battery life isnt great.

17. longweight

It isn't but I have used the charger cable and the USB extender it comes with, the cable just sits under my monitor and I plug it in when needed. You really cannot notice the cable when using the mouse.

18. dubsjw

dubsjw What's a Dremel?

I am thinking of upgrading my mouse and keyboard for my future build here in about a month or so. I am going to go with this mouse:

Razer Naga Epic

Not sure if I want to go with a simple black keyboard or not, and I may try out this keyboard and see how I like it, I absolutely love the lighting features of it.

Luxeed U7 Crossover

Lemme know what you guys think!

19. Bitemebad91

[​IMG]. How's that for a neat desk (;

I love the g510 it is so easy to use however I'm still getting used to it being so long I tend to think the WSAD keys are to the left but there actually more to the middle because of the G-keys

I have had no problems with the g700 it fits my hand perfectly no buttons get in my way the softaware is easy to use. However I hate how software assumes you have Internet and then downloads after an initial file download ( for example the actual drivers that make the macros work ) it needs the Internet to get past the first step this is a problem for me because the house I keep my computer at doesn't have internet available /: other than that no problems with either the G510 and the G700 :) cheers on the advice

Also the mousepad is amazing haha I went with the control edition.

Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

20. Jan143

Jan143 What's a Dremel?

For me personally, the laser mouses never felt quite as precise as optical mouses. Playing for many years, I always preferred the combination of a textile mat with optical mouse for maximum smoothness - not aiming too ahead of targets, not aiming too short and insufficiently either. I would probably save the money and go for Logitech G400 myself, should my MX518 break :)