1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14 VS Kuhler H20 920

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simeonipicker, 19 Nov 2011.

1. simeonipicker

simeonipicker What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I'm currently running a NH-D14 in my FT03 case and it's huge! I does a good job of cooling but I was considering moving to the Kuhler as I'd like to see some of my motherboard through the case window.

So, my questions are:

I understand the cooling performance is near identical of these two coolers but sound is very important to me, I like my case to be as quiet as possible and I know the 920 is very loud on max settings.

I'm tempted to change the antec fans for Noctua NF-F12 PWM http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cSSI5_lPL7w which should be able to use the chill software from antec.

Does anyone have experiencing of changing fans on this cooler? and what temps and noise level were like?

Thanks in advance

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

From my use of Noctua fans, they're rubbish. Very quiet but little or no performance...

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i changed them over on my Corsair h70 ( basically the same thing ) and i got better temps and better noise, not used the NF-F12 fans as they are VERY new. i used 2 gentle typhoons that wiped 2 degrees off while being alot quieter ( using a fan controller ) overall ive been very happy with mine

changing fans is easy just 4 long screws and a couple of washers for each fan.

4. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Noctua fans are like marmite...you either love them or you hate them
    some people rave about them, and see amazing performance. others dont see any at all
    ive seen some good performance from my NF-P12's in my ( old ) antec 900

5. Arghnews

Arghnews What's a Dremel?

I think it's accpeted that NH-D14 is an amazing cooler, off the shelf.

But I also think it's generally accepted that Noctua's fans outside of that tend to be ultra quiet but don't really move much air.

6. simeonipicker

Reviews seems to say such different things. Some say that they are quiet and shift a lot of air and low rpms and others say they dont... all very confusing....

I think they are ment to match Gentle Typhoon 1450s for air and noise levels.

7. SeñorTasty

SeñorTasty What's a Dremel?

I have the kuhler 920, quite a good cooler imo. Cooling a i5 760 at 3.9, idle temps 24-29 and all cores never exceed 64 c under prime95 all on silent setting (which is whisper quite even with stock fans)
    Definitely would recommend but having never used the NH-D14 can't really compare.

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I moved from Noctua's to GT 1850's and I dropped 10-15C on my old TRUE, and the noise was barely louder...

9. Arghnews

Agree with you 100% man. Personally, for XMas, I'm getting 2 typhoons at 1450 for myself :) And 2 different sites can literally come to 2 completely different conclusions about something, for example -

Bit-tech concludes that the Thermaltake Frio is good at cooling and good value for money
    It also concludes the Noctua NH-D14 is overpriced and sub-par at cooling

OC3D, on the other hand, says the opposite, that the Frio is OK, and the D-14 is the god of air cooling. Makes buying stuff really easy and clear cut, right :):duh:

10. simeonipicker

Well my experience of the nh-d14 is that it's worth it's premium tag. I've been using it with the fans on full pelt and you can't really hear it all. For a test I decided to stick on the ULN adapters that noctua provide which drops the volts so that the fans are inaudible and the temps have litterally risen about 3c max!! Pretty impressed to be honest.

11. simeonipicker

12. Arghnews

Ah, thanks very much! :D Was originally buying them for £12 each at scan :D

And ty for info about the noctua, was planning on buying one of those too :)

13. Arghnews

PS. Do you think there's a significant advantage in terms of noise with the 1450 over the 1850?

14. simeonipicker

I don't remember where I saw it but it did say that 1450 was the best cfm/db ratio. I think after that it became louder but you could always use down volt or use a fan controller.