1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 560ti vs 580

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roskoken, 24 Nov 2011.

1. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Was looking at high end 560's vs a few 580's, mostly the ROG Platinum, and im slightly confused. Basicaly id like to have a ROG card on my Gene-z, for no particular reason other than it matches, a bit wanky, but meh.

But lookin at performance the 580 gives you roughly 10fps over a 560[gainward golden, based on ARMA II]. Yet a 580 is twice the price.

Whats that about?

20 bucks per 1 fps.

And as the resolution increases to say 2,560 x 1,600 the difference in fps is fairly negligible, not 200 quid difference in my opinion.

I understand fps is not entirely a true reflection of a cards potential, but as a rule of thumb its a fairly good indication of what a card can do in an environment suited for us.

So whats this going on here?, why would i shell out for a £400 580, with £10-£20 for every 1 fps escalator applied to the price over a £200 560.

2. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

A 580 can stand those ridiculously high resolutions, without much slowdown with anti-aliasing and such. 560ti are better value, but their fps will continue to decline, especially if it's higher than 1920x1080.

3. Roskoken

Hmmmm dunno man, in ARMA II the 580 and 560 at 2,560 x 1,600 theres 7fps difference. At those resolutions your paying £28 for every extra fps. Better value to buy a 590 in all honestly, at those resolutions anyway.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Of course, if you've got pockets that deep obviously.

The thing is about the GTX 580 is that it will handle future games without the slowdown, being able to crank up the settings more, than you would with a 560ti.

You could always go SLI with w 560ti. But i've never seen the benefits of sli over a single more powerful card anyway.

5. Roskoken

I get its theoreticaly a more powerful card than a high end 560, but. £200 more?, it seems like an utterly pointless class of card with that sort of mark up.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Your looking at the value for money and FPS issue which has been discussed before. Yes a 560ti is better value for money. But if you wanted to run anything at higher resolutions and have full detail when gaming a higher end card does this better.

I have a GTX 570 and it runs Battlefield 3 on high with no problems. I havent overclocked my card one bit. So case in point you want the best graphical detail the higher end card is the way to go.

A 580 is a massive price compared to any card below it. And unless you seriously have money to spend on it I wouldnt even think about it. I don't regret paying just over £200 for my card as it does everything I want it to do.

What you have to consider is, do i need that card? Can I afford it? I don't see why people need the best of the best. I say that because I could afford my card at the time, and I chose to have it over the 560ti as I didnt want to have to upgrade in twelve to eighteen months time.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The top tier cards are not good value for money, not even close.

Since getting a second GTX460 I now realise that for even a minor performance upgrade with a single card I'd need to get a GTX580 OC, which would cost 3x what I paid for my current SLI setup. LOL.

8. Roskoken

Im still a bit unclear how a 580 justifies a £200 mark up over a 560 for such little return. Though i do like the ROG 580, very cool, excellent power efficiency. Im just a miffed about the price vs performance. £300 maybe.

9. Roskoken

Lol aye man, its ****d. Seems to be a 560 is the way forward, or just **** it and get a 590 if your gonna do it right.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I dont think it justifies it at all, and those that have them. Simply do because they can or do things that regular gamers and computer users dont do.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's Nvidia's flagship single core graphics card, so because of its prestige they are able to slap a stupid price on it knowing that people who "must have the best" will cough up for it unreservedly.

Nobody who buys a GTX580 has any hangups about value, lol. :)

12. Roskoken

Aye man but this is the point, theres very little you can do with a 580 that a 560 cant. Was maybe hopin someone could explain in no un certain terms why anyone would buy one other than for the sake of it.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

As I said before that is because they dont see the price tag and then go arge too much. They see the price and go I want it anyway.

14. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Not quite. In some situations (very high resolutions with some games) the 580 will be able to achieve playable frame rates where a 560 will not. Further, a 580 will probably still be an epic card in 2 generations time while a 560 will be playing on medium-low settings.

15. Allsopp

Allsopp What's a Dremel?

I had two 560ti in sli but swapped them for a 580 setup. More vram to start an has no issues with Max settings an AA on full a 560 can do it but it will struggle it all depends on the games

16. Strudul

Strudul ~

I having been looking into 580s. I record stuff with Fraps and if I want to keep max details, high resolution and high fps a 580 is a much better option.

17. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Sell a kidney and buy two and sli them in your geneZ
    Problem solved (with change left over water cool it all and crank up the settings more)

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

That is one game and one review though. Check out a few others online (especially ones that shown framrates over time or frametimes) and you will see the GTX580 is easily 30-40% faster than the GTX560TI depending on the game/scene.

In another scenario my HD6970 would utterly decimate a GTX560TI 1GB at Eyefinity / Surround resolutions (assuming the 560TI could run 3 monitors off of one card) single because of the extra Vram. My point here is that if you only look at one (limited) scenario you are not getting the whole picture of overall card performance.

To be fair though the GTX580 and any previous top tier card - from Nvidia especially - is never a good value proposition.

19. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

GTX580 does not need to justfiy its price tag. If as a customer you are comparing FPS and value for money then the GTX580 is not for you.

The top end single card for each generation has never been for the savvy buyer. It is for the indulgent, those who want to have the best and can afford to spoil themselves with it.

I have never wasted money on a top end generation card because I cannot justify paying so much money for something I don't need (kinda like a gamer having 16gb RAM simply becaues he can-except obviously a lot more expensive). On the other hand, if I could afford to shamelessly indulge in a card I don't need just so I can be smug about having the beast - I would. And its for those lucky felllas that a card like the GTX580 was designed for

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in modern games, 580 is (not £200 ahead) ahead of 560 when details are turned up:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/11/10/battlefield-3-technical-analysis/4

the thing is, when you go top end, you are getting to the region of diminishing returns. unless you have high resolution screen, there really isn't much point going higher than 570.

i don't agree with people here talking like 580 are a boasting and only those lost their mind would get it. it's like saying what is the point of buying BMW/Audi saloon when a Suzuki hatchback is enough? the saloon will get you there smoother more comfortable. you will notice a 580 to be smoother in current games and more comfortable headroom for the future.

just remember, 580 is the flagship card and fastest single GPU card at the moment. no flagship product in history has been in-line with other cards, price-wise.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2011