1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Hey guys, what do you think? £700>

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lukefreeman, 14 Nov 2011.

1. donok

donok Every Little Helps .....

That a great build for the price.
    One thing is you have the oem version of the CPU which comes without a heatsink. So you either need the retail CPU with an intel heatsink or a 3rd party CPU heatsink.
    Everything else looks spot on. Just remember to get free postage. You just need 5 more constructive posts.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Scan have Xms3 ram for 30 quid.

3. Lukefreeman

Lukefreeman What's a Dremel?

What do people think of this?

If there are no compatibility issues, I'm ordering tonight !!!

[​IMG]

4. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Looks very nice. Unless you really need it, I'd get rid of the SSD and upgrade the GPU, looking towards getting a 570 perhaps. Also, get the RAM in blue, to match the motherboard.

Also; No compatibility issues there at all.

5. Lukefreeman

Why is the M4 SSd so good? Is it just down to the fact it's reliable? As on paper, it's write speed is quite slow, when comparing to other drives......

6. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

Slower perhaps to something else you are looking at theoretically, but still blisteringly fast in actual use. Read the speed and think about it in perspective of the drives actual performance, not in comparison to the competition.

7. Lukefreeman

Slow compared to ocz agility 525/500 and corsair 555/495. These have sandforce controllers though?

NOt doubting the m4 is quick, but the write is only 110, less than a quarter of other SSD?

8. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

How do you get free postage on scan? I have over 20 posts and buy everything from there or Novatech.

Scan is a great site I am currently trying to price up my own build so I'm very interested in what kind of price you able to get.

9. Lukefreeman

See here.

Now I can get free postage too!

10. Sneblot

Sneblot What's a Dremel?

Cheers matey thanks for the advice.

11. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

That's true but ideally you don't want to be writing to an SSD very much at all as this reduces the life of the drive. In a perfect world the only times you'll write to an SSD is when installing software, everything else goes on a mechanical HDD. This makes the write speed a moot point since the primary concern is the read speeds.

I don't see anything wrong with that build really apart from agreeing with fishlock to get the RAM in blue (or black) to match the motherboard. I know the R3 doesn't have a window but you'll know they're in there :)

Whilst checking during typing though i notice you haven't specced an aftermarket cooler. I would suggest doing so. The R3 is a wonderfully quiet and tidy case but I'm not sure if it'll handle the noise of a stock HSF. Your linked build sits at £664 (£677 minus the carriage fee since you'll now get that for nowt ;) ) so that's £36 of your proposed budget available for the time proven Gelid Tranquilo at £25 or an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 at £18(or whatever else might take your fancy).

12. Lukefreeman

Artic cooling freezer is bang up my street, nice one :).

Looking forward to this already!

Got myself 2 2tb drives as well now, 5.9k Seagate Barracudas!. (£75 each, in a NAS caddy, courtesy of Bestbuys closing sale!)

13. Lukefreeman

Update:

Bult it all up today, (Cheaped out, and got a 550 GTX ti though, I'm poor), and also got Virging 50mb installed today as well.

It went as smooth as anything, the R3 is a brilliant case! All cables hidden away!

Booted first time, THis SSD's fast as well........................

(Horror story, my first build, I didn't put spacers between mobo and case (I forgot lol). Powered on, and a nice lovley spark nad smoke! Lucky, no permanent damage to the MOBO though!)

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You were lucky :p

Tasty rig you go there.