1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project - Wooden Fortress Build - 98% done

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DoOb's, 8 Dec 2011.

1. DoOb's

DoOb's Overclocker/Modder

So I hav decided to make a case.

Im over the space and my impractical build mod of the Stacker 810 so i thought why not make a custom case.

Custom case out of Cheap wood :p :p R200 for Pine Ply sheet - 3ply

Pine Ply 3ply
    Pine 20mmx20mm lengths for frame.
    20 x Right angle metal supports.

More to come.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The Scale of the case....

[​IMG]

What needs to go inside.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What ive done sooo far.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2011
  2. DoOb's

Ok So whats its now...day two of my build. Its coming along quite well. No real Hiccups. Last night i was contemplating on placement on radiators. This is the best for what is needed. Double for CPU and Triple for GPU.

Each will have its own radiator that way temps will stays ambient as possible. Alot still to do. But I will update as i go.

Ive gotta adjust my custom made reservoir to fit an extra port for an inlet from the 2nd radiator. I might use two pumps i might use just the one to pump both. Should be fine i think.

Ive also gotta see how im gonna mount HDD's im thinking of one side wall with studs into the drives which will be mounted on only one side. That way allowing better cooling around the drives. Will get there though. Also where to put the pump. Above or below the Hdd's

I was going to have my motherboard mounted upside down for better cooling. But to how my desk is... Better to have it on my right side. The case will be 100% cool inside with regards to my false floors to house cables. Which will all be extended. And only cables will be shown will be short lengths and then run under the motherboard and rest of the case. :)

Images to follow now now...dinner time

3. DoOb's

Wheels on...and the extra batten across for the triple radiator so there is airflow underneath.

[​IMG]

Case support and the next platform for the Double radiator mounting . Also to seperate the power supply from the rest of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power mounting holes drawn up...Cost this cool template from my Stacker...which is for the stacker to mount the power supply at the top or bottom. So kept it coz as you can see it has come in handy.

[​IMG]

Triple radiator holes drawn up

[​IMG]

Some tracing paper and a pencil. Use this for the above aswell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holes are cut...Will need to power sand them to get them nice and round. Due to the jigsaw biting nicely. Did take it slow but very hard to keep it on the same line. But never the less....grills will be covering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DoOb's

[​IMG]

The Radiator mounted to just check holes and such. Will refine the inlet and outlet holes for the radiator...^^

Long shot of both radiators semi complete for mounting. Will be purchasing new 3x 120mm quiet fans for the bottom. Coolermaster are the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Winkston

Winkston What's a Dremel?

Very good ! keep the good work

6. DoOb's

Thanks Bud ^^

7. DoOb's

I dont think im gonna be doing as crazie stuff like you guys mentioned....the pine grain is cool but some places i need to fill with woodfiller. So it will look odd.

Would rather paint it.

Anyway an update..

Studs are in for the motherboard...

[​IMG]

Triple/Double 120mm fan holes are sanded and cleaned up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Powersupply hole cut and sanded

[​IMG]

Cable cover and hdd cover

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I/O, sound/Gfx card and 120mm rear exhaust fan cut

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Wow such a massive case! Looks good so far.

9. DoOb's

Go big or Go Home :D ....

10. DoOb's

My stacker was all good. But somethings just were getting irritating with the mods i did to it.

So why not do a scratch build. Things are almost there. Couple more things to think of and asses.

Like that motherboard/hdd/ cable cover its need to be able to come out with the radiators still in the case. But at the moment ive got a small problem with the nuts sticking out and i cant slide it out. So i could make indents into the Cover tray and slide it out one way to solve that. But will it still look awesome as it is.

:) Another thing ive gotta make is GFX card and sound card mount plates coz i need them to be flat then i mount them against the rear panel. Will get my mates dremel for that. Ive got some aluminum in my cupboard. I dont want to bend the original mounting plates for a normal case. That would be silly.
    :) Front panel Ive gotta make a extended panel with space to mount a fan behind so it allows airflow through the back of the cover and to the hdd's.
    :) All fans will run at 7v or if i can im thinking of getting a whole bunch of fan controller knobs and those will go onto the front panel. So all fans are controlled separately. I was thinking of one of those aerocool controllers. But i need like 7 controllers.
    :) Small platform for the pump back of cover above the hdd's

:) I wanted to have to separate inline for both blocks so they both get the same ambient temp'd water. But no use. Once the whole loop goes back into the res the temps will equalize. So loop will be as follows. Pump -> double radiator -> CPU block -> GPU -> Triple radiator then to the res.

Paint as you all know.

Ok so just two things to add to the update.

Top panel vent holes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the finished cover for where the hdd's will sit right in the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly i bought 3 new Aerocool 120mm fans for the triple. Will buy those grills like im gonna have for the top double radiator.

[​IMG]

11. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

looking nice far, what coller will you paint the case?

Also I was wonderig how you made the fan holes, what dimentions or measurements did you use?

~Bladesingerz

12. DesertFox

DesertFox What's a Dremel?

Looking good! I really like the cutout for the 360 rad!

13. fractal arc modder

fractal arc modder What's a Dremel?

Looking good.

14. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

after quick run through letters and pics i miss the point of the case. very massive case (it's good :) ) but with massive wasted space... why not to put radiators (and pump) in a separated chamber like on tj07?
    MOBO chamber is big enough to play ice hockey near the board :)
    and how deeply recessed MoBo? when You install gfx card longer than mobo wouldn't it interfere with "cover"

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Looking forward to seeing this finished. I've never had any clue how to get a nice finish on plywood, especially I've found it absolutely impossible to make thin plywood look nice as it always rips and tears around holes etc..

16. DoOb's

Basically took my compass. Spread it out from the middle of the fan to the edge of one of the blades. Make a nice perfect circle....see pics below and cut.

Thanks man. It works quite nicely

Appreciate you viewing man. Much appreciated. Its a simple kinda scratch build. But there are alot of small things to consider when making and fitting hardware in. So im pretty happy with how its turned out. Its basically a stacker inspiration mod. Coz my Stacker is too small.

Yup gotta be patient when it comes to any sort of medium you dont really know how its going to react to the cut of the blade. Im going to sand the whole case use wood filler on the surfaces to fill the small ridges re-sand it and then apply matt black coats so the grain still shows through after a couple sands. Then lastly apply Clear paint varnish.

Yea i know, Ive taken your advice and relooked at the case. So check the new update.

Ive put all watercooling at the bottom front and then all Harddrives will go at the top. Motherboard will still be slightly covered to hide cables. Even though cables will be arranged neatly and directed to its correct position. My 470GTX is the same size as the motherboard. It doesnt hang over it. Its a perfect size. Would be great to have two in this case. :D

Thanks for your thoughts ive taken them into consideration. :D

17. DoOb's

Alrighty so some changes which will make life more practical in terms of keeping things in their section

Watercooling in one corner
    Harddrives up top. which will allow me to put up to 10 drives all stacked vertical next to one another. And then DVD rom above that right at the top.

So here are the new panels. Front with Radiator. Nice clean cut 120mm holes. Which i took my time cutting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from the inside.

[​IMG]

New top panel.

[​IMG]

Full shot

[​IMG]

Got some more fittings, bought some heatshrink for soldiering cables longer. Also bought touch PWN and RESET buttons for the front of the case. Coz i didnt do this with my stacker. Thought i better do it right. And not always take side panel off to switch computer on. Lol

[​IMG]

Full front shot

[​IMG]

18. DoOb's

And in terms of watercooling

Looks like i need that extra 25mm so going to make a front Bezel for the case anyway ...will give it that finish look i suppose.

Here are some shots of how im thinking in terms of watercooling . The pump -> Im going to put the vertical fitting on and take off the Elbow cause it would work easier. I might also have to raise the pump. So its inline with the res. That way not having to change the fittings around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because the CPU has 3 ports one in two out. That connector above will Split into one into the Gfx card. And then gfx card into triple radiator.

19. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

looking good, subbed!

20. DoOb's

Alrighty...Well since 6am this morning ive been busy with the monster case.

Getting all the small things done to basically install all the hardware. I also ordered SATA II cables - looong ones to get to the top. Those arrived today in the post so on my mission to get all the final things. Spray paint - Black gloss / Clear Laquer, 4 threaded bolts for the CPU block. Two new Barbs for the bottom radiator post office to pick up my package from Comx.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This morning i took the PSU and lengthened the PCI-E cables and made another 6PIN for the board coz i was using a two x molex to 6 pin...not kiff. Used my heatshrink to clean up all the cables neat and tidy. And put the cable sleeving back over.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Afterwards it was time to come up with a practical way to be able to remove the covers when i need to get inside to sort out cables or such. So the frame as you can see to hold the covers as such. Once i got the spray paint all got painted to gloss perfection..Can see the holes for the PSU cables to come through.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All the covers

[​IMG]

Im going to glue the Velcro down and basically when i need to work inside the case just pull them off.

[​IMG]

Fitting the covers....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then i was going to make new brackets for the two Cards...but just decided to hammer them flat. When i bought the 3x 120mm Aerocool fans they come with these cool rubber "screw push through things" Worked well check.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next was basically installing everything. First was the switches for the front "PWN and RESET" Those work :D Then was the double radiator,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fed all the cables through to their domain area

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I made a platform for my HDD's , SSD will just park on the top floor doesnt need to be mounted. :p

[​IMG]

I plugged the triple's fans into the board. So those are running on 75% power....Can see them inbetween the SATA and ATX 24pin etc. Can see ive sprayed the mounting bracket for the covers. And also i sprayed the covers with couple coats of black and clear laquer

[​IMG]

And lastly fitting all the tubing in...i was amazed the setup i did for the RES and pump...The pump sucked the water straight through :D which is awesome. Before i use to have trouble getting it to start. Coz the Res wasnt higher than the radiator. Also its a pleasure to empty the system now coz the pump is in the correct place just unclip the RES from the Radiator and pull the one tube out and empty into a bowl.

I just need to now Stick the Velcro down on the back of the covers....Prestik Cheesecake LOL one the 3 left covers. one on the right front is screwed down. And spray the last side panel and buy a piece of Perspex for the window :D Couple touch ups on the paint where its needed

[​IMG] [​IMG]