1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Can I fix a Audio cable by simply soldering?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mat0tam, 21 Dec 2011.

1. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

Razor Carcharias Gaming Headset

Looking to take these of my friends hand who for some unknown reason cut the cable...
    How easy will it be to fix?

[​IMG]

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Best to open up the earpiece where the cord connects, and replace the cable all together. It's pretty straight forward to solder a couple points on the speaker and mic terminals. If you have ever soldered before it should be an easy and quick repair.

Alternately you could do what I like to do when the cable is ruined and install a mini jack in the earcup. Then you can use detachable cable. It's convenient since if the cable gets ruined again, just toss it and grab a new one plug it in and use it. Makes it easier if you carry headset around too.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

peel back the overall insulation, isolate the individual wires, twist,solder,heatshrink (individual wires and overall).

Some audiophiles may try to tell you that it will distort the audio slightly, but don't listen.

edit: cut the wires so that the splices are staggerd, to avoid shorts and a huge bulge.

@lysol It looks like a speaker/mic headset, which would be difficult to find in a single wire

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

what playboy said.

there is "technically" a drop in audio quality since the shielding wont be properly protecting the joint from outside interference but in reality youll never notice the difference (unless you live in the basement of a power plant or mad scientists laboratory).

5. IvanIvanovich

2 wires, no big difference. Just need to buy 2x headphones extension cable at the store. Still with the amount of work being roughly equal it makes little sense to solder wire to wire in the middle of a cable that will likely be flexed a lot with possibility to break the solder joint than outright replacing it properly. Also it is a lot easier to solder wire to terminal than wire to wire in my opinion, it will last longer.
    If not going to do it properly, why even bother solder when taping it together will surely do.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I would've thought the main problem is with soldering it such that you get the same stereo sound as you would've before.

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I did this many times as a kid. Didn't even solder it. Just separate the wires, remove insulation. Wrap together. tape. done.

If you want to solder it, even better.

8. mat0tam

mat0tam Mr I Dont Know What I Want

This sounds like a really nice little mod. Any pictures for inspiration?

Thanks all for advise, sounds do able really. Il wait and see if hes going to ask for money. My current headphones suffer from interference so these could be a part time replacement.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Soldering does a cleaner job. Depends on if you want to though.

10. IvanIvanovich

[​IMG]

Like that, though you would need to do 2x. One for the phones, one for the mic.