1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 21 Nov 2011.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah, That's the terminology I was looking for.:D
    That sums up a lot of your work.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

What would be most awesome is a chance to display my collection at a case modding event with many of my fellow hobbyists. Something that puts case modding at its center instead of just a side freak show to a LAN party. Corsair floated the idea 7 years ago and I always thought there would be at least a few intelligent marketing people who would realize the value of that sort of thing.

The Exploratorium event in Feb 2010 was awesome. Three MOTY winners and countless MOTY nominees and MOTM winners. I think there were 6 CPU Magazine covers. It was a privilege to participate. The event was obviously inspirational for me as well as I went on to build the two most successful projects I've ever done (as measured by web traffic), Level Eleven and Mid Century Madness.

I've run out of couches and chairs to put side-tables by so I'm going back to my roots with small Art Deco-inspired stuff. It feels very comfortable here. :D

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Unveil of the Art Deco emblem. Still need to dial in the lighting. What do you guys think? I need honest opinions please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peteski likes this.
  4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Can't say there's anything on there that I would change. Another fine project. Nice work Jeff.

5. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Honestly....

It looks like a piece of art. Modern yet retro.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I always give honest opinions :) which is why I sometimes or often make a tit of myself when commenting :lol: even if I seem over the top with the enthusiasm, must mean I have Steve Irwin type enthusiasm for modding/creating & can't help but be impressed when I see great work :D.

Thoughts on the emblam.

It compliments it nicely & like the different length stripes with the way it almost looks like it's forming another circle with the wrap around grill from the last shot which looks excellent, took a goooood look & I can't seem to fault it like everything I've seen of your projects so think it's safe to say this is another beauty :).

Must be crazy being able to do 1 masterpiece after another in short times :D:clap:.

7. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

The build itself is flawless, gorgeous, amazing... etc. You already know that. :D

The pictures... May be the compression you used, but they seem too grainy and dark.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yep that's the only thing I didn't comment on :D not usual standard but the project sure is :clap:.

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The photos are intentionally low quality. The pictures really do suck and I intentionally published them that way. I want to keep anything hi-res to myself knowing I can do better. :) These are 5 out of the first 8 test photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. bulldogjeff

It would be good to see this with the lighting up and running to get a good idea of what the finished thing is going to look like.

11. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

honest opinion?? Lousy pictures! DAMN FINE ARTIFACT!!!! This is just a matter of taste, but I would´ve probably have made the base in a different wood/material/color, just to highlight the vertical beauty of this piece. But still, I love it as it is... Love the emblem! Btw, what is that female mount up on the back? Audio??

12. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

I think I know the reason you're using those grainy pictures... Does it have to do with that incident you had a few months back where some unscrupulous sites were "stealing" your images?

PS: Where in Florida are you? I live in Pompano Beach on the East coast side of the state. I'd love to see your creations live and in person for sure if given the chance. :D

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Most excellent, as always Jeff. Fuzzy is alright for now knowing we are going to be blown away again.

!0/10

John

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thank you Jeff.

Thanks. "Modern yet retro" is what I was going for.

Thanks Wayne. There are very few things in the world we can count on more than an honest Waynio opinion. :thumb:

It isn't operational yet because dummy me ordered the wrong memory. Crucial is fixing my mistake. Can't tell you just how awesome their customer service is. There are no lighting effects at all. The only indication it is running should be the CPU fan turning. That and the flames coming off it. :D

Thanks quizz_kid. The connector in the back is the DC jack. It is my biggest design flaw (so far). I wanted it to be mounted at the bottom so that the cable wouldn't be flapping in the wind at the top. Internal interference from my mounting system forced the compromise. I consider it acceptable for a prototype and the reason why you build prototypes.

Testing a new watermark. Too subtle? lol I live way out in the woods near the Suwannee River.

Thanks John. I appreciate that.

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hey! You stole that! :lol:
    The subject matter is great. The lighting sucks. We understand that you can't rely on natural lighting this time of year.

16. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I use only natural lighting and that is usually very reliable here in Florida. Official "final photos" won't happen until next year because I want this to be a 2012 project. I figure it will take that long to get the correct memory installed, load up Windows 8, deal with all the unknown gremlins and get some sustained sunshine.

Got some all important sleeving photos to post yet and for S&G I'm dropping in my i7-875K mini-ITX board to see how the heatsink fits...or not.

17. bulldogjeff

Ah flames off the fan..So we are going for a subtle orange glow..That should suit it well.:hehe:

18. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Last edited: 25 Dec 2011
  19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Last edited: 25 Dec 2011
  20. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Specs:
    VIA Nano X2 dual core CPU at 1.4GHz
    VIA VE-900 mainboard w/VX900 graphics
    8GB Crucial DDR3 system memory
    256GB Crucial M4 SSD
    150W picoPSU power supply.

Alternative:
    Intel Core i3-2105 CPU with HD3000 graphics.
    Intel H67 mainboard
    Scythe Kozuti HSF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Special thanks to my friends at Crucial, VIA and mini-box.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]