1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I love this game so much I almost didn't go to a Christmas party. At 11am I was genuinely thinking of calling my mate to cry off but then I remembered I didn't have any food left, so I had to go.

It would have been quite sad and, with hindsight, I'm glad I logged out of ToR (after sending my companion on a long crew skills mission). Back online now, slightly inebriated, but looking forward to an hour or two before sleep.

2. Fluidic

Fluidic What's a Dremel?

enjoying it too i must admit.

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Had some great PvP matches with Guildmates.

I was playing Tank and they (2 of them) were Healers.

In Voidstar we absolutely dominated, with either of them defending each door and me flicking between the two and putting my Guard on whichever i was with.

The most memorable part came when we were attacking and me and the Operative (other was Merc) were trying to take the right hand door, got ambushed by 2 Shadows and kept subsequently killing them, the last fight taking place with both of us at ~20%HP and both of them at full. It involved a lot of kiting, CC usage and taunts off of the healer.

Ultimately we lost that particular round (we were slicing the final door just as time went) but overall we won the match.

Next up was Alderaan where we held 2 turrets the entire match and had the third until they decided the most viable tactic was to concentrate forces on holding a single turret and try to head out and capture.

There were a few rounds of Huttball in between, but unfortunately that required more coordination within the team (i.e. kill ball carrier, defend ball carrier) which our team often lacked (let's go find people to kill, who cares about that pillar of light walking towards where i just spawned from).

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Any suggestions on best realm/faction to start a new character?

5. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

depends on what you like. both factions are well balanced so choose whichever appeals to you most. Server wise it depends on how you like to play, pve,pvp,rppvp/e. Im on Kai-Kan which is a pvp server, seems friendly enough though i have been away for a week (im having withdrawal symptoms from my sith jugg), back on tonight :D. If anyone is on my server Im Galaktus.

6. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

You'll find on every server Empire outnumber Republic atleast 2:1 or more in some cases. So pick either faction, I regret going Empire but it's what my guild, and girl friend wanted to do.

As for server just pick any that are heavy/very heavy during prime time.

I hope they add in a separate maintenance time for EU, 10am-4pm sucks. :( The one day I'm free all day and get hit with this. :(

7. blinkieleblind

when i said well balanced i meant in terms of classes just to clarify. i had no idea that they were so unbalanced in terms of empire vs republic. where did you get this info from may i ask??

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

The classes are just mirrors of each other and as such play almost exactly the same (there are very slight differences in some cases), so in terms of Faction it's completely down to choice.

As for Empire vs. Republic numbers, it's been pretty well known since pre-launch (looking at Guild numbers) and i doubt things have changed too significantly. Obviously having lack of evidence isn't the best, but i think it's a rather accurate observation.

9. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I'll link you the site once SWToR comes back up, as the link to it is in one of my PM's on there. I can't remember it off the top of my head.

10. blinkieleblind

feel bad, should have rolled republic now. may have to make a new toon ;)

11. spt

spt What's a Dremel?

bah deleyed maintenance!!!

12. Fluidic

Fluidic What's a Dremel?

anyone on here on luka sene?

13. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

Im on Hidden beks, started a new guild with some old m8's from warcraft. Been playing about with one of the free guild hosting sites and quite like this one were using http://shotinthehead.enjin.com/home
    Has loads of features and mumble server if paying, better than some of the sites I have used in the past.

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Got in quite a bit of playtime this weekend and still loving the game. I wanted to finish Act 1 last night but ran out of time. Hopefully today I can finish Act 1 then I'll work on the rest of Alderaan.

I guess it's no suprise Empire has the majority population. The "cool" faction always wins out in that regard. Was that way for the longest in WoW with all the Alliance Night Elves, then suddenly Horde became the faction to play (Probably due the Blood Elves haha).

15. blinkieleblind

i come back from a week away itching to play and this is what i get.. extended maintenance.
    /cry
    game is too addictive.

16. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I will buck the trend regarding how great the game is. I bought it for £45 and had the recurring payments, downloaded origin and then the game, played the game for a while - and now origin and SWTOR are both uninstalled from my PC, with subscription cancelled.

Lesson learned, never believe the hype - there are far better and cheaper games out there for me to waste my time on.

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

What didn't you like about it out of interest?

18. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

Server waits, dull graphics, dull gameplay (to me) - it was like deja-vu - seen the same in countless other MMO's - so why, I wonder, did I spend £45? My fault entirely - back to World of Tanks......

As I get older, the more I realise that most games haven't moved on in terms of gameplay/enjoyability - and this one is depressingly predictable and boring. I don't know what they could do different, but the feeling of 'seen it and done it all a hundred times before' is very strong. I guess if you're a 'young 'un', you won't know any different...

All IMOHO, of course, others will have the complete opposite view.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm only a couple of tears from hitting the big 40 so I've seen it all before too.

I can sympathise with a lot of your points, maybe not the server queues because they only affect a few of the servers but yes a lot of the game-play is very similar to many other MMO's.

The voice acting and class storylines are the deal clinchers for me though, oh and I love Star Wars. If it was set in a generic fantasy world I very much doubt I'd play.

20. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Bought this yesterday and early impressions are that it's a single player game with massively multiplayer elements tacked on to it. I hope that changes as I level up but at the moment it just seems i'm running around a multiplayer hub and then entering single player instances for any important story parts.

Oh, and it seriously needs mods to let you customise the UI. Some basic macro fuctionality wouldn't go amiss either.