1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Custom Desk

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Elroc, 18 Jan 2012.

1. Elroc

Elroc What's a Dremel?

I built this from an old exercycle, an office chair, and some steel I scored from work. I wanted something that was custom made to suit me so I mounted a chair to the old exercycle frame and built a desk around myself. I used the desk in its previous incarnation for a year and it worked fine but there was a lot of tidying up to be done, so when we shifted to a nicer house I decided to upgrade the desk so I didn't feel so bad keeping it in the lounge.

[​IMG]

The footrest comes up at the same time as the desk comes down, the springs underneath are to help with the weight of the desk.

[​IMG]

Here it is in the open position

[​IMG]

The keyboard is held on by magnets I have glued to the bottom and there is a metal plate on the desk to hold it in position, that way I can still move it around for comfort. I am making a side table now so that I can keep my mouse cradle, USB hub, volume controls, iPhone dock and a place for my coffee. The table will also enclose my PC, so I guess it will be a custom case when it is finished.

I have more info on my blog at geek2green.blogspot.com

More pictures here http://imgur.com/a/dMwCO

Also the evolution of the chair (10 videos) is at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4BF16ECBAF8F4F6

I will do a video of the finished desk working soon but I was in a traffic accident on my scooter and I am a bit messed up right now.

Please feel free to ask any questions or make comments. I know the whole idea is wacky but it works really well for me.

Cheers.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2012
  2. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Nice work there! Do you have enough room to do your stuff though? I think if I was gaming on that I wouldn't have enough room.

3. Elroc

Elroc What's a Dremel?

What do you need room for other than the keyboard and mouse?

As I mentioned in the original post I am making a side table that will house my PC and have room for the things that I don't want to fire across the room when I get up.

You can see the desk here (please excuse the coffee stains, this desk top is being replaced with some polished wood and I had to glue an old mousepad to the temp desk that I didn't mind destroying when I removed it).

[​IMG]

I hope this makes sense :)

4. Elroc

Elroc What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Just a slight update, I have worked out roughly what I want to do for the side table and made a rough model in sketchup.

[​IMG]

The spaceunderneath will be for brackets and wheels to move it around, the angled top will line up with the desk top.

I have most of the materials already, I just need to pick up some angle iron this weekend to do the brackets etc.

Cheers.

5. Elroc

Elroc What's a Dremel?

I made a start on the side table tonight, I have already changed the design from what I posted earlier to this
    [​IMG]
    I have decided that the bottom shelf is not necessary so I am going to remove it. I am also going to make the CD rom enclosure part of the main box to make it easier to construct.

I think I am going to lay out the internals like this

[​IMG]

For the wheels I am going to do 2 of these.

[​IMG]

But the box section will be split in 2 lengthways to make 2 pieces of angle iron that I can use to bolt to the wood.

I will update again as I go, or should I put this somewhere else?

Cheers

Edit: I will be pulling my PC apart to use in this so the parts I am using here are just spare bits I have laying around that I am using for a mock up.

6. NeedsMoreSteam

NeedsMoreSteam What's a Dremel?

WOW! That's beautiful!

7. Guest-89078

Guest-89078 Guest

This is amazing! I like the way the leather chair and the wooden side table will contrast with the industrial metal bars of the chair frame. To me, lifting the monitor over your head seems like a recipe for disaster, but I'm sure you're made sure it's really secure.

8. Elroc

Elroc What's a Dremel?

Absolutely! I have held my weight up with the desk mechanism, it is how I tested the welds so the weight of a monitor is insignificant in comparison.

I know it is a bit weird but I wanted something really different plus it has a small footprint on the floor. The best thing is that I have an easily accessible and comfy desk that nobody can sit behind me or look over my shoulder (I really hate that).

The wood side table should match the new desk top that I am getting this weekend, I will varnish both of them so I am hoping they will match. I have gone with the varnished wood so it matches the PC Coffee table my better half uses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHZRc9jPGQ)

Cheers.

9. Cutter

Cutter What's a Dremel?

Great desk - good effort!

The wife saw this and said "No way are you having one of those and cluttering up my living room!"

:sigh: