1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Does an iPhone 4S screen scratch easy?

Discussion in 'General' started by mattyh1995, 12 Mar 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Title says it all ^^

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It doesn't appear to, however I have tended to look after mine quite well (only 3 months old).

I don't have a single scratch/mark on the glass but cant say I've really tested it thoroughly :)

3. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

My iPhone 4 screen scratches easier than i'd like. Loose items in my work/gym bag have left small marks on the screen, non are noticable when using the phone, however they stand out when the screen is black.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2012
  4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

No, but they don't handle fingerprints well at all. :p

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not easily, but it can scratch in normal use. Don't put it face-down on a surface, and don't stick it in the same pocket as your keys without protection.

The metal band is practically bomb-proof.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You might want to take this into account

Saw this after I got the Galaxy S2!

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'll certainly bear that in mind when choosing my next phone based on it's drop-ability :)

Is the Samsung mostly plastic?

8. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Mine has a few scratches, on the plus side it's survived multiple drops onto hard surfaces.

9. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Just asked because it's a massive 5 minute walk to the town centre to buy a new screen protector.. Huge walk.. :L

10. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

The metal band is easily polished by hard surfaces, so while it is difficult to damage, as such, it is easy to make fugly.

The displays are semi-easy/difficult to scratch; the glass itself is tough, of course, but the oleophobic coating can be scratched, and is what becomes scratched 99% of the time.

As for screen protectors, search for Terrapin ones on eBay, they're very, very good and are dirt cheap.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Yes the phone is mostly plastic not that you can tell it's sides are a shiney black. I fell in love with it first time I got it. Almost feels like your not holding a phone at all.

Battery life is debatable. Under usual use two days or so. I have wifi on constant and use various apps. Mainly twitter/FB and Bit Tech. For the most part it is a great phone.

I digress I believe most phone screen can and will get scracthed at some point.

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Can anyone recommend an iPhone 4S case?

13. Nexxo

The big advantage of the Samsung is that it is so light. Hence it is more likely to survive a drop unscathed.

14. lamboman

If you are willing to clean your case out once a week, a Speck Candyshell is the best there is really. However, all cases that are full body will cause marks on the antenna band if you don't clean the dust out.

Leather flip cases...your call really.

Personally have gone semi-naked, with a screen protector on the front, and The Lucky Labs bits for the side and back (see sig). Full scratch protection and no bulky case or potential horrible scratches and marks.

15. Nexxo

Meh. Given that most people upgrade every 2/3 years I think that there is no point treating them like valuable antiques.

16. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Naked with a black Sena pouch. :hip:

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I wish somebody had told me that. The metal band on my iPhone is fugly as hell :(

18. lamboman

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Watching that video above was hard. I cringed as he dropped it each time :/ And yes, having seen what the iPhone is made of and repaired my fair share of them that've had the same treatment as that one, I can confirm that they are easily broken and that they certainly do not bounce! The iPhone glass is more brittle and exposed than that of the S2 and pretty much every other glass fronted smartphone on the market. Overall, it's the more solidly built phone because of the aluminium frame design, but the front and back are very exposed unless you use a bumper or other case on it.

Also bear in mind whilst handling your iPhone that Apple went back to the "screen before the board" design with the iP4 and 4S, just like the original iPhone. This means that the LCD, glass and digitizer are all one, which means you can't get away with replacing one part on it. If you crack the glass and want it replaced, you have to eat the whole cake and splash out for the assembly which is castly more expensive than how it worked with the 3G and 3GS where you could buy a screen, glass & digitizer only, frame with glass & digitizer attached or all three in one piece, depending on which was broken.

As far as scratches go, the glass that Apple use is extremely resistant to deep scratches but it'll still pick up fine ones from change, keys and other sharp items that it shares your pocket with. I'd throw a screen protector on there anyway - it only takes 5 minutes and using it through the lifetime of your phone greatly improves the resale value if and when you come to get rid of it and change to a new handset :thumb:

Last edited: 12 Mar 2012
  20. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ive got the S2, much prefer it to the I phone. I cringed as well watching that. But more to the point, what sort of nutter drops a grands worth of phones to test how well they bounce :jawdrop: