1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows help on choosing antivirus

Discussion in 'Software' started by lynx96, 18 Mar 2012.

1. lynx96

lynx96 What's a Dremel?

hi everyone i am thinking of upgrading my antivirus to a better one with more security i have avast free at moment any suggestions on what antivirus to pick that is 2012 one

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

What's wrong with Avast?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

depends what you want from your antivirus

Microsoft Security Essentials is often rated Highly as a Free one

I use AVG Business editions for my networked business machines

some customers prefer Norton

4. Skyphox

Skyphox What's a Dremel?

I am an AVG fan myself.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

A recent lab teat by computer shopper showed that avg 2012 free is now the best free one compared to last years MS security essentials.

6. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

AVG 2012 Internet Security works like a charm, never had a virus problem.

edited: Mattyh1995, promotion of piracy is strictly banned in the forum rules. Please don't do this again. - specofdust

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Mar 2012
  7. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Software from untrusted sources may get you infected -- would you really trust giving release groups free reign on your machine? I wouldn't.

I don't see any need for anything more than what you have and a bit of common sense.

9. Dragox2007

Dragox2007 What's a Dremel?

Run without an antivirus and just use your noggin. My system remains malware free without a firewall or antivirus.

10. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

That's why you read the comments of torrents and see if the torrent is infected and see what people think instead of blindly downloading anything. Not all illegitimate sources are out to murder your machine, some just want to get paid software for free.

11. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I don't think promoting the procurement of illegal software is really a good recommendation on the forums.

That aside MS security essentials is looking pretty good right now and to be honest I would expect it to only keep getting better.

But stay away from bitdefender, its crappy bloatware filled with problems, that's from personal experience

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

12. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

MSE is quite good, and it is getting better. I am on the 4.b test branch and there are a lot of improvements in the engine regarding detection and the scan speed is blistering fast in comparison. I have ssd, and it used to take minutes for quick scan, now about 10 seconds. For full scan it used to take about an hour, now about 15minutes. Yes it is beta so it might not be perfect, but it is a lot better than the stable 2. version available.

13. DK63

DK63 Resident magpie

I removed MSE from my pc as I got a bad infection and had to reinstall. AVG is getting too 'bloaty' for my liking. I now use Bit Defender Internet Security 2012. It runs in the background, and doesn't appear to interfere with anything I do. It does block pop-up web pages, which I like.

14. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I parents once had Mcafee had no issues found it to be a great security software. Is it no longer the case?

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

That's rather silly.

@OP If your looking to spend money on AV ESET is really good (AKA Nod32). We sell it to all our customers and we managed clients using Trend, Norton, Kaspersky, AVG, Avast but we think ESET is the bees knees.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

no it isn't, it's a technicians nightmare, when it goes wrong, it does so big style.

17. Jaffa5

Jaffa5 What's a Dremel?

Chalk up another vote for AVG free. I have it on 5 machines and I have never had a problem yet.....but I am careful what I download.

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would.avoid avg personally, its grown in size and hogs a fair amount of resource compared to its peers.

Microsoft security essentials and avast are what I would recommend. Especially mse.

19. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

I have tried many antivirus programs in the past, norton, mcafee, avg, avast and windows live essentials that was out about 4 years ago and coupled them with things like malwarebites and spybot S&D. But I think ihave found the best set up now:

Mcafee let the lovely "chernobyl Virus" through back in 1999 and norton wasn't much better back in the early 2000's since then its usually been a flutter between AVG & Avast until back in 1996, when i got the PC from comet and our friend (the salesman) managed to throw 3 years liscence in for free then back to avast and arrived to MSE after a brief stint with virginmedia security

MSE & AVG PC tune up 2012. And so far i haven't had a serious problem, not 1 virus let through as it has managed to quarantine any that may have slipped the net. Plenty of warnig is given and are both simple tou use.

here is a link that a member (short1uk) started last year
    Which Antivirus do you use and why?

Hope this is of some help

t4n6o

20. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

I've always had a great experience using AVG Free as my antivirus (with either Comodo or PC Tools Firewall Plus as my firewall).
    I run AVG 2012 free on all six computers on my network and have never had a problem.