1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Are you content with your build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somer_Himpson, 28 Apr 2012.

1. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I think we are all playing catch-up with tech (Apart from True Gamer!) but I have just reached a point where I am completely happy with my setup.

The addition of a 2nd EVGA GTX 570 has completed my world. (Check rest of my spec in sig)
    Now even though my dream build would contain probably none of the parts in my current build, we all have to live in the real world in terms of finances etc.

So just for a few days, I can sit back and not feel that itch.
    Have you ever reached (even temporary) contentment point with your build?

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Absolutely content! And will be for a while! Besides, I hate spending money. :p

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yep, right now with my rig. My CPU is still extremely capable. Plays everything I want it to runs smoothly.

4. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

Yes, temporary sanity sometimes prevails.

5. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I keep looking in the marketplace to see if there is anything else I can buy, but I think my rig is 100% complete.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

For now. I could probably go for a GPU upgrade though, after the disappointing IB results I sepnt the money I set aside for IB on a headphone amp and another pair of headphones.

7. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

I'm happy with the hardware (for now), but there is a rattle somewhere that I have been trying to track down and can't find. It's either a fan or a hard drive vibrating against metal.:wallbash:

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm actually happier than I ever have been, and I'm on my second i7 920 having owned three very good hexcore CPUs (i7 970, i7 980X, i7 990X). My recipe for the backbone of a kick-ass PC is the following:

30" monitor (yeah baby)
    strong graphics card
    middle-of-the-road CPU

W I N :thumb:

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I just want to change my case.

10. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm content with it when it's working. Aye. I might wish for a bigger screen and more gpu power, but I still love it to bits. Sometimes literally.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Nop, I am not completely happy with my build. For one thing my build is fecking messy. My cosmos case isn't the best for cable routing but even so I coulda tried harder. At a certain point I gave up trying to make arty builds. 1.5 metres from the PC is even worse... rad and res sit on a home made wooden platform by the window along with 2 x unmounted EK DCP 4.0 pumps.

I'm happy with my bits, mobo, ram, GPU is very good considering it's a single 680 replacing 2 x 560ti and having to run in stereoscopic 3d.

My CPU overclock is great.

Noise level? Well I walk in to the computer room (which is a very small room) and I often think the PC is switched off because it's near silent. My dream would be to have a totally silent fanless PC.

Fanatec wheel mounted on desk, keyboard floats above the desk along with monitor. That I am very happy about because it means finally I don't have to keep taking the wheel off the desk every time I want to use the keyboard (or vice-versa).

Need a 2nd pair of 3d vision 2 glasses.

I've had my cosmos 1 for some years and the top USB/power switch panel has broken away (was actually broken during shipping when I bought it). Would like a more modern case with better routing, cpu cutout etc but it's not a necessity. The cosmos looks good and is solid. Have a side window panel fitted.

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not content yet, need a 2nd GTX 680 and a Sandy Bridge E or Ivy Bridge E Mobo, CPU & Ram.

Just added my 2nd 120Gb SSD so have them in Raid now, managed to fit a 360mm rad in the bottom of my case, today ready for when I watercool my GTX 680 and add a 2nd.

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm delighted with my current build. After the big thread I wrote about the psychological side of making the right decision when buying hardware I found that everything I suspected there has come true - Buying a high-end card has turned out to be a far better investment from a 'satisfaction/happiness' perspective. Even with the 680 out now, I still don't feel like I've lost out by spending big money on the best single-gpu card I could get at the time.

Until recently I wasn't entirely happy with my machine though, as I had crammed too much inside a case that just couldn't hold everything I wanted.
    Now that I've upgraded to a CM Cosmos II I couldn't be happier. A PWM controller for my new pump will finish it off for me and I'll be holding off on any major upgrades for quite some time.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I'm happy with my PC, though am looking to update my SSD due to size issue. Otherwise I just need to finish some details on my custom case. I'm not planning on upgrading anything else until Haswell and GTX780 is available sometime next year.

15. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

Happy with cpu/gpu as is only powering my HD telly but i have plans in the future for a 27" ips screen, am changing case/cpu cooler next week and will get a ssd within another month or so (birthday soon - but am waiting for 256gb to be within realms of financial reality to make it worthwhile and bung all my games on there to get the most benefit in loading times), also i've decided tonight i'd like to change my sound card to a d2x as i like the cover and want to see as little componentry as possible in my build (might need a sabretooth board for that.....)

Then i might be happy til newer shinier/faster bits come out at xmas and i need to start thinking of pressies from the wife/family again........

Madness isn't it :D

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I want an ssd and a new gpu. But outside of that. I'm golden.

17. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Now I have a near silent pc using the CM 690 II I am happy, took me over a week to getting round to swapping my stuff out of my phong 2 as I had grown so attached to it and was still doing a stellar job of cooling my gear. (I have 3 phong 2's in the house)

Only thing I would want to possibly upgrade is my gpu but even then it's only a because I want to and not because I really need to, same goes for my SSD.

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yeah, i think so. wouldn't mind sorting out some better sound at some point and maybe some more memory but those would be more luxuries than anything else. At the moment it does everything that i want it to. (i7 920, 6GB, GTX460 and a 22" screen)

19. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

Pretty much content, over clocked i5 with some more headroom left if needed, copes with everything currently. Would like a better graphics card, just waiting for the Nvidia to launch the rest of their rang to see what's what. Personally hoping to hold off until Broadwell for CPU side and then get a better case at the same time.

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Only think i want to do is reduce the noise my system makes, i could go back to my old fans for that. 4 Delta's make a lot of noise. Change to Z77 and sli in the future and then water cool my system. Think i will go back to stock case fans next week!