Other Room 101

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somer_Himpson, 30 Apr 2012.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

1. Ridiculously expensive prices on Portable Media Players over 16GB in price.
    2. Bent Pins. Enough said
    3. BT Homehubs. All of them. Every single last friggin' one.

2. lava

lava Minimodder

1. Viruses/malware etc
    2. Noisy fans
    3. I.T. department @ my work

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

1. Killer Nics - I mean please...
    2. On Board Sound
    3. iTunes

4. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I never knew gigabytes were a measure of price.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Leaky WCing Fittings
    Ugly non sleeved wires
    Dead Pixels

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

1. people think they are always right on a forum.
    2. noisy systems with fans always at constant speed (fans should spin down when idling! go buy a BigNG!)
    3. most forms of DRM, exception being Steam

oh, and i am positive im right, you are all wrong. :p

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Herpa De Derp. The point still stands, though. I don't want to have to pay £400 for an extra 20GB of storage on a device.

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

1. sims 1
    2. sims 2
    3. sims 3

9. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

I thought I'd bring one from each aspect of computing - hardware, software and users...

Cables - Untidy and always get tangled up. If there was an invention that stopped any cables from getting tangled up, I'd be a very happy person

MSI Custom Actions - In theory, brilliant idea, but what really annoys me is when software vendors insist on using them unnecessarily for example, to set information in Add / Remove programs, or to set the application installer path.

Elitists - Any elitists annoy me . I don't care if you have a Mac / £550 Graphics card. I have what I can afford and what works for me. I don't really need to validate my existence by having what the elitist knob approves of.

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

1. DRM
    2. Games For Windows Live
    3. Consolification

11. Williz

Williz Minimodder

1. Stock AMD cooler fittings (The twiddley tension brackets)
    2. Short cables
    3. Noise

12. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

So I already did one for software, but now I have to do one for hardware. Deal with it.

1) 5.25" drives. They have GOT to go! Takes up so much space, when a slot loading 12.7mm drive is just as fast and a hell of a lot smaller. Or even one of those icky tray loading 12.7mm drives would be better. It's especially annoying when they insist on using them in mini-ITX cases. Lian-Li being a major offender here.

2) 3.5" drives. Similar problem to the 5.25" drives. Too big, 2.5" drives can be nearly as big as 3.5" drives for a HELL of a lot less space. And only a marginal increase in price, too.

3) Cases with non-secured front panels. Let me explain, what I mean is the entire front facade of the case being unsecured, so if you are unknowing and pick it up, the pins or whatever holds it on snap and the entire case falls down on your foot and breaks your little toe(happened to me). Especially bad when they look or feel like there are grabbing points or some sort of handle on the front panels. Major offenders for me include the Lian-Li PC-K7 (the toe breaker) and the NZXT Gamma (didn't actually drop it, but I have to be extra careful carrying it because of how there's a grip shaped indentation on the front bottom of the panel, and that thing comes right off).

13. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Haha. I agree with this. :thumb:

14. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Hmm, hard choices... there's quite a few things I'd like to throw into Room 101.

TeamViewer & LogMeIn - Ever since those two arrived on the market, my IT work has primarily become a constant flow of reversing what has been done by the scam artists who pretend to be Microsoft.

Netbooks - As nice as it may seem to have a miniature laptop, they are just worthless. I think if I was to list all the things I hate about them it could go on forever; a few reasons would be the tiny keys that you need a child's hands to use, the lack of processing power to do more than browse a single tab or load a basic document and the sad excuse for storage space.

Game Betas - This one annoys me a fair bit simply because it is self-destructive in most cases and offers no real benefit for the developer. In the past, a Closed Beta would mean a group of players would play a certain section of a game and feedback on any bugs they discovered... nowadays it just means the entire gaming community can play the game before it's anywhere near finished, get bored of buggy and lacking content and then not buy it when the game is finished.

15. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

1. 3D TV or anything 3D for that matter, just rubbish why do they try and push it so much.

2. Lotus Notes don't think I need to say anything more than that.

3. DLC for sale on the release day of games, just put it in the actual game.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

1. Cables. Under my desk is a wire nest, and it just gets worse. I wish everything was wireless.

2. Windows 95. Ugh. I was reinstalling it every 6 weeks or less.

3. IT departments.

17. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

1. UK prices for components and software versus those in the US.

2. Windows System Administrators... spawn of the devil...

3. Cables and their infernal ability to tie themselves in knots when no-one is looking...

18. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

1. Phone manufacturers not realising I want (and need) more than 64 gb's of storage
    2. Phone manufacturers not caring that I actually listen to music in FLAC and not 64 kb/s MP3's
    3. People who can't fathom that Google might hold the answer - I'm not IT-Support, I'm just a certified Googler ..

19. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Shouldn't this be in general, given how it's not actually 'Hardware' related :p lol

1 Captive PSUs
    2 Crap cases which cut you as soon as you look at them
    3 People who don't listen to advice

20. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

1. Apple
    2. Lack of OC'ing ability on non-K Sandy Bridge CPUs. Why make us pay to overclock?
    3. PC World